Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe
Reload this Page >

Potential Move to Senica, Slovakia, some advice please?

Potential Move to Senica, Slovakia, some advice please?

Old Jul 21st 2014, 3:28 pm
Forum Regular

IrishGuyAbroad is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Potential Move to Senica, Slovakia, some advice please?

Hi everyone,

I am looking for some advice please. I have recently been interviewed for a position in Senica, Slovakia and been asked about my salary expectations. I have no real knowledge of the cost of living in Slovakia, (or knowledge of Slovakia in general) so I was hoping someone on here might be able to offer some advice on the country.

The company have mentioned a figure of about 1,700EURO nett per month. Most of the info that I have found online on Cost of Living is for Bratislava, but I am guessing it is more expensive there than in Senica.

A bit about my situation; If I was to get the job, I would be moving with my wife and 18month old daughter. Does this wage sound like enough for a small family to survive on? Anybody any positive or negative opinion on moving there with a family?

I have lived abroad for a few years now in various countries, but my wife has not as much experience abroad as me.

We moved to Bulgaria at the start of the year. Despite the well known difficulties and problems in Bulgaria, (and there are many), I think we adapted well to living there so I think we have what it takes to make a go of it abroad. We are not naive and know it will be difficult, but as I said, we have some experience of living abroad so its not completely alien to us.

Unfortunately, we ended up leaving Bulgaria due to unpaid wages and are now back in my home in Ireland deciding what to do next. This job possibility first came up about a week ago, and I have been trying to gather as much information on the area as possible, before proceeding any further with things.

So any advice would be appreciated on cost of living, lifestyle, moving with kids, schools etc.

Thanks

Last edited by IrishGuyAbroad; Jul 21st 2014 at 3:45 pm. Reason: left out the word 'leaving' last paragraph
Old Jul 23rd 2014, 12:01 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Moses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Potential Move to Senica, Slovakia, some advice please?

Originally Posted by IrishGuyAbroad
Hi everyone,

I am looking for some advice please. I have recently been interviewed for a position in Senica, Slovakia and been asked about my salary expectations. I have no real knowledge of the cost of living in Slovakia, (or knowledge of Slovakia in general) so I was hoping someone on here might be able to offer some advice on the country.

The company have mentioned a figure of about 1,700EURO nett per month. Most of the info that I have found online on Cost of Living is for Bratislava, but I am guessing it is more expensive there than in Senica.

A bit about my situation; If I was to get the job, I would be moving with my wife and 18month old daughter. Does this wage sound like enough for a small family to survive on? Anybody any positive or negative opinion on moving there with a family?

I have lived abroad for a few years now in various countries, but my wife has not as much experience abroad as me.

We moved to Bulgaria at the start of the year. Despite the well known difficulties and problems in Bulgaria, (and there are many), I think we adapted well to living there so I think we have what it takes to make a go of it abroad. We are not naive and know it will be difficult, but as I said, we have some experience of living abroad so its not completely alien to us.

Unfortunately, we ended up leaving Bulgaria due to unpaid wages and are now back in my home in Ireland deciding what to do next. This job possibility first came up about a week ago, and I have been trying to gather as much information on the area as possible, before proceeding any further with things.

So any advice would be appreciated on cost of living, lifestyle, moving with kids, schools etc.

Thanks
The question is probably what you expect in Slovakia. A lot of people have less, so you can manage, but will the quality of life be better than Ireland (especially if you have to work)? I've actually come back to Ireland and realised how great it is. Although people moan about things, it's possible to live cheap here and have a decent lifestyle. If it has to be Slovakia, I would even consider living in Austria (not too far) because of your child. Although your daughter is still young, she needs to learn the language and German would be an advantage for her later life.
Old Jul 28th 2014, 11:57 am
Forum Regular

Thanks for the reply,

I know Ireland is not all bad, in fact being home here for an extended period now has made me appreciate it even more. The problem is my job, the industry I am in is dead in Ireland at the moment and I just can't get a break. I have spent the last few years travelling around the world with my job, and this opportunity has presented itself out of the blue. So its definitely worth considering. Its great being at home and around family, but no job prospects at all.

The main problem with living in Austria is the higher cost of living on a 'Slovakian' wage. As I said, having lived in Bulgaria I think we can adapt but just wanted some advice on the country and costs etc before committing further
Old Jul 28th 2014, 1:31 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Moses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for the reply,

I know Ireland is not all bad, in fact being home here for an extended period now has made me appreciate it even more. The problem is my job, the industry I am in is dead in Ireland at the moment and I just can't get a break. I have spent the last few years travelling around the world with my job, and this opportunity has presented itself out of the blue. So its definitely worth considering. Its great being at home and around family, but no job prospects at all.

The main problem with living in Austria is the higher cost of living on a 'Slovakian' wage. As I said, having lived in Bulgaria I think we can adapt but just wanted some advice on the country and costs etc before committing further
If you were single and didn't have a child, or it was the job of a lifetime with huge salary, I'd say go for it. You'd be far better looking for a job in another field or retraining, if you can't find a job in Ireland. I work for a Software company, although I didn't have previous experience. We have plenty of people from around the world that can't find a job in their trade (teachers, social workers etc.). I'm sure your family can support you here and if you both worked for a fast food chain, would still be better of than there.
Old Jul 28th 2014, 1:55 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Thanks for the reply,

Forgot to mention, Slovakia isn't as cheap as you think compared to Austria. Many food products can be bought cheaper in Austria and petrol is also more expensive.
Old Jul 28th 2014, 9:27 pm
Forum Regular

rammy100 is an unknown quantity at this point

Whilst I have no knowledge of Senica, we made a move from the UK to Bratislava almost on a whim two years ago. The offer of a job came along and we took it. The plan was not to stay there forever (we didn't) but as a means to an end. We had never lived outside the UK before but if you have lived in Bulgaria you have experience of less-developed nations.

It depends on your lifestyle of course but living is possible (in Bratislava) on that amount of money. Your main cost will be accommodation but we had a two-room apartment pretty close to the centre for around €650 a month, all inclusive of everything except WiFi. I imagine - but don't know - the cost of accommodation will be cheaper in Senica.

We found food and drink to be relatively cheap but not as food was more expensive than we thought. We actually did some of our shopping in Slovakia, Austria and Hungary as we could had some different food choices in each country and prices weren't always predictable. We drove and bulk-bought food and drink. I expect you could drive into Czech republic easily from where you will be.

Petrol is expensive in Slovakia but much cheaper in Austria and Czech.

We found eating out particularly cheap outside the city centre.

We liked that Bratislava is in a good spot for visiting other places of interest very easily but struggled to integrate and there were few Brits who actually seemed to want to be there. We found Slovaks friendlyish but distant.

I can't comment on life with kids as we don't have any but we found it appeared to be family-friendly. People seemed to do stuff with their kids.

We missed living in what we consider to be a fully-developed country and moved to Germany after 18 months but this was always a part of the plan.

Whilst 1,700 euros is a reasonable amount of money, it doesn't allow you to do much in fully-Western countries with higher prices. Is your work transferable to a western economy with western wages? Apart from a couple of things (primarily accommodation and medical costs) the cost of living in Berlin is not much higher than in Bratislava yet our earnings are significantly higher. Can you use this as a stepping-stone to a different move in the future?

Have you thought of having a short trip out there to take it all in?

Best of luck.
Old Jul 28th 2014, 10:42 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by rammy100
Whilst I have no knowledge of Senica, we made a move from the UK to Bratislava almost on a whim two years ago. The offer of a job came along and we took it. The plan was not to stay there forever (we didn't) but as a means to an end. We had never lived outside the UK before but if you have lived in Bulgaria you have experience of less-developed nations.

It depends on your lifestyle of course but living is possible (in Bratislava) on that amount of money. Your main cost will be accommodation but we had a two-room apartment pretty close to the centre for around €650 a month, all inclusive of everything except WiFi. I imagine - but don't know - the cost of accommodation will be cheaper in Senica.

We found food and drink to be relatively cheap but not as food was more expensive than we thought. We actually did some of our shopping in Slovakia, Austria and Hungary as we could had some different food choices in each country and prices weren't always predictable. We drove and bulk-bought food and drink. I expect you could drive into Czech republic easily from where you will be.

Petrol is expensive in Slovakia but much cheaper in Austria and Czech.

We found eating out particularly cheap outside the city centre.

We liked that Bratislava is in a good spot for visiting other places of interest very easily but struggled to integrate and there were few Brits who actually seemed to want to be there. We found Slovaks friendlyish but distant.

I can't comment on life with kids as we don't have any but we found it appeared to be family-friendly. People seemed to do stuff with their kids.

We missed living in what we consider to be a fully-developed country and moved to Germany after 18 months but this was always a part of the plan.

Whilst 1,700 euros is a reasonable amount of money, it doesn't allow you to do much in fully-Western countries with higher prices. Is your work transferable to a western economy with western wages? Apart from a couple of things (primarily accommodation and medical costs) the cost of living in Berlin is not much higher than in Bratislava yet our earnings are significantly higher. Can you use this as a stepping-stone to a different move in the future?

Have you thought of having a short trip out there to take it all in?

Best of luck.
Hi,

Thanks for the information. Its good to hear from people who have done it.

As I said I have lived abroad before for years. In fact this will be country number 6. So I know what is to be expected from living abroad, I know how difficult it is to integrate etc. but I don't think the problem is insurmountable.

We have thought of other Western countries, but really its just difficult to get work. I took the job in Bulgaria as a career move, it wasn't the country of choice, but was a good move on the career ladder.

Unfortunately, we spent quite a bit to get set up out there (perhaps naively) and then they stopped paying me, owing me over 3,000 euros by the end. So its at the stage now where we are back in Ireland living with family, and not really in a position to wait for the perfect job to come along.

The job is with a German owned company, (which could have its own perks further down the line) and would also be the step up career wise that I had hoped the Bulgarian move would be. So I guess in a way it could be a stepping stone.

And yeah, I think we are going to take a trip out before the end of August, to have a look round and see what we think then. Just wanted some advice on whether it was 'do-able' before committing to flying out!
Old Jul 29th 2014, 6:22 am
Forum Regular

I suppose I should have said as well that I enjoyed my experience living in Bratislava even though it wasn't my dream city and I don't regret making the move at all.

Back to the costs a little, you will live cheaply if you don't mind living seasonally and are prepared to cook from scratch. We found food very affordable.

Public transport is also pretty cheap and there was a very good service in Bratislava. Again though, not sure in Senica but I expect it will be decent enough.

Just think of all the destinations that you have just a couple of hours away - Bratislava, Vienna, Prague, Budapest. They are all manageable for a weekend and there are tons more.

The weather is much better than Ireland (although flipping hot last summer) with so much less rain.

If you have no job in Ireland then, as long as you are up for a little adventure, what have you got to lose?
Old Jul 29th 2014, 7:46 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

I suppose I should have said as well that I enjoyed my experience living in Bratislava even though it wasn't my dream city and I don't regret making the move at all.

Back to the costs a little, you will live cheaply if you don't mind living seasonally and are prepared to cook from scratch. We found food very affordable.

Public transport is also pretty cheap and there was a very good service in Bratislava. Again though, not sure in Senica but I expect it will be decent enough.

Just think of all the destinations that you have just a couple of hours away - Bratislava, Vienna, Prague, Budapest. They are all manageable for a weekend and there are tons more.

The weather is much better than Ireland (although flipping hot last summer) with so much less rain.

If you have no job in Ireland then, as long as you are up for a little adventure, what have you got to lose?
The weather isn't better than Ireland if you look at the cold winters and the shorter evenings in summer + the beaches and surf aren''t great either But honestly I don't agree that he has nothing to lose. It's not like he's a teenager looking for an adventure. You said: Whilst 1,700 euros is a reasonable amount of money, it doesn't allow you to do much in fully-Western countries with higher prices. Is your work transferable to a western economy with western wages? €1.700 is a Western wage in my opinion and would be considered a decent wage in Berlin which is cheaper than Bratislava. The problem I see is that the salary is for three, the wife doesn't speak the language, they don't know anybody and will she ever have job prospects. After 2 years they'll move to the 7th country and will have to start all over again. Just think of all the destinations that you have just a couple of hours away - Bratislava, Vienna, Prague, Budapest. They are all manageable for a weekend and there are tons more. It does sound great, but you still have to be able to afford it and it's cheaper to get a Ryan Air flight from Dublin with the added benefit of having family to look after the child. @IrishGuyAbroad, you wanted an insight. Nobody can give you a real insight and it's only opinions. If it's your dream to move to Slovakia and you think you can make it work, go for it. In my opinion it's just a waste of time and you'd be better off working here and learning new skills. Your wife could also work and you have family. It usually takes 2-3 years until you've built something up and are settled.

Last edited by Moses2013; Jul 29th 2014 at 8:07 am.
Old Jul 29th 2014, 2:04 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Moses2013
The weather isn't better than Ireland if you look at the cold winters and the shorter evenings in summer + the beaches and surf aren''t great either But honestly I don't agree that he has nothing to lose. It's not like he's a teenager looking for an adventure. You said: Whilst 1,700 euros is a reasonable amount of money, it doesn't allow you to do much in fully-Western countries with higher prices. Is your work transferable to a western economy with western wages? €1.700 is a Western wage in my opinion and would be considered a decent wage in Berlin which is cheaper than Bratislava. The problem I see is that the salary is for three, the wife doesn't speak the language, they don't know anybody and will she ever have job prospects. After 2 years they'll move to the 7th country and will have to start all over again. Just think of all the destinations that you have just a couple of hours away - Bratislava, Vienna, Prague, Budapest. They are all manageable for a weekend and there are tons more. It does sound great, but you still have to be able to afford it and it's cheaper to get a Ryan Air flight from Dublin with the added benefit of having family to look after the child. @IrishGuyAbroad, you wanted an insight. Nobody can give you a real insight and it's only opinions. If it's your dream to move to Slovakia and you think you can make it work, go for it. In my opinion it's just a waste of time and you'd be better off working here and learning new skills. Your wife could also work and you have family. It usually takes 2-3 years until you've built something up and are settled.
Whilst I don't want to get into a great debate about the relative costs of living in Berlin and Slovakia, I can tell you from my own experience that the cost of living in Berlin (primarily because of accommodation and medical costs which are considerably higher) is more than Bratislava. I have lived in both cities.

One person taking home 1,700 in Slovakia could support a family whilst it would be a struggle in Berlin.

Numbeo.com shows that the cost of living in Berlin is roughly 25% more than in Bratislava yet average wages are approximately double. Whilst numbeo is not spot-on, I find it reasonably representative of the costs. The cost of living in a small town in Slovakia will be less than living in the capital city so a salary of 1,700 will go even further.

I am curious then Moses123.....when you lived in Slovakia or Austria (I am not sure which) did you head into the other country for some of your purchases?

Whatever you decide Irishguyabroad, I am sure it will be the right decision and if I can help with any specific details once the move is going ahead, please feel free to ask?
Old Jul 29th 2014, 8:26 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Whilst I don't want to get into a great debate about the relative costs of living in Berlin and Slovakia, I can tell you from my own experience that the cost of living in Berlin (primarily because of accommodation and medical costs which are considerably higher) is more than Bratislava. I have lived in both cities.

One person taking home 1,700 in Slovakia could support a family whilst it would be a struggle in Berlin.

Numbeo.com shows that the cost of living in Berlin is roughly 25% more than in Bratislava yet average wages are approximately double. Whilst numbeo is not spot-on, I find it reasonably representative of the costs. The cost of living in a small town in Slovakia will be less than living in the capital city so a salary of 1,700 will go even further.

I am curious then Moses123.....when you lived in Slovakia or Austria (I am not sure which) did you head into the other country for some of your purchases?

Whatever you decide Irishguyabroad, I am sure it will be the right decision and if I can help with any specific details once the move is going ahead, please feel free to ask?
Lived in Germany for 15 years and am fluent in German, been in Austria and have friends from Slovakia who are now happy to be in Ireland
Old Jul 29th 2014, 9:04 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Moses2013
I'm not saying I have nothing to lose, but like I say - I have no job. I spent four years working my way through college to get myself a qualification, and that qualification has allowed me to travel. I got stung (unluckily) in Bulgaria, and now I have no job because of it.

Its not as easy for me to just go back to college and retrain as you say. I have a wife and child. I may have family but they have lives and jobs too, so for me further education is not really an option.

Everybody I have spoken to has said how nice the weather is in the summer, I don't know where in Ireland you are, but where I am it certainly doesn't feel like summer.

It is a job I can do in any country, the problem is getting someone in 'any' county to hire me. Its not a job I can do from a distance, I need to be on site each day. And at the moment, I am jobless and this guy wants to give me a shot. Slovakia is not, nor never was, my dream country. Its not somewhere I have always wanted to live, but at the moment it is the only place willing to give me a job.

I know its a problem as you say that "the salary is for three, the wife doesn't speak the language, they don't know anybody and will she ever have job prospects".

But isn't that the case for most couples who go to start a new life somewhere? I am not saying it will be easy but every country I have gone to,I have not known anybody. Most of them I have not spoke the language. If everybody took that attitude we would never move anywhere other than an English speaking country.

I don't mean to come across as being rude, and I am grateful for your input. But at the moment, I have no job in Ireland, and life is not as easy as dumping my daughter with my family, while me and my wife go to work in a fast food chain as you have suggested.

So, with all of that said, I don't have a lot to lose. My daughter is still some way off school going age, and if these guys are willing to give me a shot, then there is not a lot to lose, in my opinion anyway

Also, the reason the Slovakians in Ireland are happy is probably because they earn more in Ireland than they would at home. The same as an Irish guy getting a 300k job a year in US would be 'happy'. Again, just my opinion but I dont think its a fair comparison that just because there are Slovakians happy in Ireland, then no Irish would be happier in Slovakia!!

Last edited by IrishGuyAbroad; Jul 29th 2014 at 9:06 pm.
Old Jul 29th 2014, 9:16 pm
Forum Regular

Hi Rammy,

Thanks for the reply. I would think that the living costs (including the accomm and medical) in Berlin are more expensive than Bratislava - thats what I have been told on some other forums. And I would be inclined to agree that small town Slovakia will be cheaper than the capital.

We are going to go out at the end of August and see how it goes. I said in my other reply, its not like its the dream move for me. But its a country where I can get a job and a wage that allows us to survive reasonably comfortably, so I do think it is worth pursuing a little further. It might be that we go out in August and not like it, but I don't think we are in a position to strike it out completely just yet.

I'm sure I will think of other questions further down the line, so you will probably be hearing from me!
Old Jul 30th 2014, 7:59 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

I'm not saying I have nothing to lose, but like I say - I have no job. I spent four years working my way through college to get myself a qualification, and that qualification has allowed me to travel. I got stung (unluckily) in Bulgaria, and now I have no job because of it.

Its not as easy for me to just go back to college and retrain as you say. I have a wife and child. I may have family but they have lives and jobs too, so for me further education is not really an option.

Everybody I have spoken to has said how nice the weather is in the summer, I don't know where in Ireland you are, but where I am it certainly doesn't feel like summer.

It is a job I can do in any country, the problem is getting someone in 'any' county to hire me. Its not a job I can do from a distance, I need to be on site each day. And at the moment, I am jobless and this guy wants to give me a shot. Slovakia is not, nor never was, my dream country. Its not somewhere I have always wanted to live, but at the moment it is the only place willing to give me a job.

I know its a problem as you say that "the salary is for three, the wife doesn't speak the language, they don't know anybody and will she ever have job prospects".

But isn't that the case for most couples who go to start a new life somewhere? I am not saying it will be easy but every country I have gone to,I have not known anybody. Most of them I have not spoke the language. If everybody took that attitude we would never move anywhere other than an English speaking country.

I don't mean to come across as being rude, and I am grateful for your input. But at the moment, I have no job in Ireland, and life is not as easy as dumping my daughter with my family, while me and my wife go to work in a fast food chain as you have suggested.

So, with all of that said, I don't have a lot to lose. My daughter is still some way off school going age, and if these guys are willing to give me a shot, then there is not a lot to lose, in my opinion anyway

Also, the reason the Slovakians in Ireland are happy is probably because they earn more in Ireland than they would at home. The same as an Irish guy getting a 300k job a year in US would be 'happy'. Again, just my opinion but I dont think its a fair comparison that just because there are Slovakians happy in Ireland, then no Irish would be happier in Slovakia!!
As said, it was just my opinion. You've answered your questions really so Slovakia it will be and only you can find out if it will work. I don't know what you studied, but people all over the world study and end up in another job. Nobody dreams of working for an insurance company when they're 18 and why would working for a fast food chain be bad. It's a job and can be just as rewarding. I'm in Co. Galway and had an amazing summer so far. The past few weeks have been really nice and we sat outside until 9:30/10pm every evening, so I don't see a problem. We also have a place in Spain, but work life balance is great in Ireland and many people are thankful to be able to live here. Of course it's far from perfect, but as said just my opinion. Good luck anyway and I hope it works out for you. Just to add to that:

That's correct, but I doubt you will start a new life in Slovakia if you and your wife aren't willing to learn the language.

Last edited by Moses2013; Jul 30th 2014 at 9:42 am.
Old Jul 30th 2014, 9:53 am
Forum Regular

Hi Rammy,

Thanks for the reply. I would think that the living costs (including the accomm and medical) in Berlin are more expensive than Bratislava - thats what I have been told on some other forums. And I would be inclined to agree that small town Slovakia will be cheaper than the capital.

We are going to go out at the end of August and see how it goes. I said in my other reply, its not like its the dream move for me. But its a country where I can get a job and a wage that allows us to survive reasonably comfortably, so I do think it is worth pursuing a little further. It might be that we go out in August and not like it, but I don't think we are in a position to strike it out completely just yet.

I'm sure I will think of other questions further down the line, so you will probably be hearing from me!
It sounds to me as though you are thinking it through, weighing up pros and cons and making an informed decision which to my mind is exactly the way to do it. If it was a choice of unemployment/burger flipping in Ireland or having a job in Slovakia which pays twice average earnings then, to me, there is no choice and who knows where this will lead. If it doesn't work out you can head home.

I would ask your employer what help he can offer in terms of securing a place to live and investigate that during your August trip. Beware too that a one-bedroom apartment means a studio as the living room is ALWAYS classed as a bedroom.

We had spent a lot of time in Budapest before we moved and had been to Brat a few times so had half an idea what to expect.

I think your young one will have it the easiest as she will naturally pick up the language and it will force you to integrate a little. I think I said before that Slovaks are family-orientated.

Back to the weather - the Slovaks talk about weather more than the Brits! - we found that seasons are more defined than the UK so there are longer colder winters but longer hotter summers. Autumn and Spring were shorter and once the weather broke, it stayed like that for ages. So it may be sunny for 2 weeks but in the winter it might snow for days on end. The beauty of this was that you knew what to expect.

You said you have lived in other places - whereabouts? I'm just curious. I really think your overseas experiences will help a lot.

Happy to help if I can.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.