Reload this Page >

Using the UK Driving Licence while visiting the UK

Using the UK Driving Licence while visiting the UK

Old Mar 13th 2015, 12:31 pm
Just Joined

traveller_9 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Using the UK Driving Licence while visiting the UK

Greetings to you all,

First the background: I have Slovenian permanent residency and have also in the meantime kept my UK driving licence which has my brother's home address on it (I visit the UK and him every few months). Over these past years, I have been using the UK driving licence both here in Slovenia and in the UK.

Now, the Slovenian officials have no problems with me using the UK driving licence but what about the UK officials (eg DVLC, insurance companies, police)? Is what I am doing wrong?

Thank you for your replies,
Old Mar 21st 2015, 3:41 pm
Forum Regular

booboo24 has much to be proud ofbooboo24 has much to be proud ofbooboo24 has much to be proud ofbooboo24 has much to be proud ofbooboo24 has much to be proud ofbooboo24 has much to be proud ofbooboo24 has much to be proud ofbooboo24 has much to be proud ofbooboo24 has much to be proud ofbooboo24 has much to be proud ofbooboo24 has much to be proud of
Default Re: Using the UK Driving Licence while visiting the UK

Sorry, but i have no idea, you need to contact the Uk and ask them.
welcome to the forum BTW
Old Mar 21st 2015, 3:48 pm
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by traveller_9
Greetings to you all,

First the background: I have Slovenian permanent residency and have also in the meantime kept my UK driving licence which has my brother's home address on it (I visit the UK and him every few months). Over these past years, I have been using the UK driving licence both here in Slovenia and in the UK.

Now, the Slovenian officials have no problems with me using the UK driving licence but what about the UK officials (eg DVLC, insurance companies, police)? Is what I am doing wrong?

Thank you for your replies,
You could have problems if stopped and they find out you are living in Slovenia, the UK driving license is for UK residents only and becomes invalid once you have moved to another country, and you should exchange it fro one of that countries. If you return to the UK permanently, then the DVLA will be able to access your old record and you can get another one. Theoretically you are committing fraud as you are using a license you are not, legally, entitled to use.
Old Mar 24th 2015, 9:05 am
Forum Regular

booboo24 has much to be proud ofbooboo24 has much to be proud ofbooboo24 has much to be proud ofbooboo24 has much to be proud ofbooboo24 has much to be proud ofbooboo24 has much to be proud ofbooboo24 has much to be proud ofbooboo24 has much to be proud ofbooboo24 has much to be proud ofbooboo24 has much to be proud ofbooboo24 has much to be proud of

I found this!
EU - Driving licence validity abroad (renewing, converting, etc.)

This is a insert from it;
EU driving licences
Before you move to a new country, make sure your driving licence has not expired.

Provisional licences or certificates issued in your home country will not be recognised in other EU countries.

If you move to another country, you can drive there with your current
licence as long as it remains valid.
Old Mar 28th 2015, 11:01 am
Forum Regular

And this; Vozniško dovoljenje

Driving licence
If you are holder of a valid driving licence issued by the competent authority of your state, you may drive the same categories of motor vehicles in Slovenia for a year from the date of registering your residence in Slovenia provided that the principle of reciprocity is applied. There is no limitation in time for driving licences issued in EU member states, Liechtenstein, Norway and Iceland.
If you hold a residence permit and you have registered your residence in the Republic of Slovenia for a period longer than six months, you may request replacement of a valid foreign driving licence for a Slovenian driving licence upon satisfying the relevant conditions. You are required to pass a driving theory test to qualify for a Slovenian driving licence. You are exempt from the practical driving test if you hold a driving licence issued by an EU member state, Iceland, Liechtenstein, Norway or Switzerland.
Old Mar 28th 2015, 1:03 pm

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mikelincs
You could have problems if stopped and they find out you are living in Slovenia, the UK driving license is for UK residents only and becomes invalid once you have moved to another country, and you should exchange it fro one of that countries. If you return to the UK permanently, then the DVLA will be able to access your old record and you can get another one. Theoretically you are committing fraud as you are using a license you are not, legally, entitled to use.
Not quite. You can continue to use a UK driving licence in the UK if you live abroad so long as the licence and photocard remain valid in the same way you can drive on your UK licence in the EU as long as it remains valid. Different rules apply outside the EU where you're usually given a year before you need to exchange your UK licence for a local one.

The issue arises when you do not live at the address shown on the licence. If you have moved abroad then your licence should show the last UK address you lived at. The DVLA accept this as they cannot show a foreign address on a UK licence. If you're changed the address on your licence to your brother's address when you don't live there and didn't live there before you left then that might cause problems if you're stopped or issued a speeding ticket. Not having the correct address can lead to a fine of £1000.

Driving licence fines threaten two million drivers - BBC News