Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe
Reload this Page >

relocating to the UK

relocating to the UK

Old Feb 24th 2016, 2:55 pm
Just Joined

bola14 has a reputation beyond reputebola14 has a reputation beyond reputebola14 has a reputation beyond reputebola14 has a reputation beyond reputebola14 has a reputation beyond reputebola14 has a reputation beyond reputebola14 has a reputation beyond reputebola14 has a reputation beyond reputebola14 has a reputation beyond reputebola14 has a reputation beyond reputebola14 has a reputation beyond repute
Default relocating to the UK

Hi everyone. will be relocating to the UK as a citizen shortly. any advice and what to look out for? what r my privileges? what to do to get settled in. school, work,housing, nhs, NI etc.

thanks, no help will too small to give
Old Feb 24th 2016, 2:59 pm

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: relocating to the UK

To be sure, are you a British citizen? Were you born in the UK or will this be your first time living there?
Old Feb 24th 2016, 3:13 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

You'll need an NI number for your taxes to be logged against.

Once you arrive in the UK as a resident, you're covered by the NHS. You register with the nearest GP (doctor), and you're good to go.
Old Feb 24th 2016, 9:04 pm
Just Joined

bola14 has a reputation beyond reputebola14 has a reputation beyond reputebola14 has a reputation beyond reputebola14 has a reputation beyond reputebola14 has a reputation beyond reputebola14 has a reputation beyond reputebola14 has a reputation beyond reputebola14 has a reputation beyond reputebola14 has a reputation beyond reputebola14 has a reputation beyond reputebola14 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pulaski
You'll need an NI number for your taxes to be logged against.

Once you arrive in the UK as a resident, you're covered by the NHS. You register with the nearest GP (doctor), and you're good to go.

Thanks.
Any other thing I need to do to settle down
Old Feb 24th 2016, 9:07 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by BritInParis
To be sure, are you a British citizen? Were you born in the UK or will this be your first time living there?
Thanks for the prompt response.
Yea,am British by descent.I v my passport but I v always only visit and vacations. This is my first time of planning to live there.
Anytin u want to put me through with.
Thks
Old Feb 24th 2016, 9:10 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bola14
Thanks.
Any other thing I need to do to settle down
You'll need something like a copy of your lease and a utility bill (to prove your address) to open a bank account.
Old Feb 24th 2016, 9:37 pm
Just Joined

You'll need something like a copy of your lease and a utility bill (to prove your address) to open a bank account.
Ohhh,OK
Thanks
Old Feb 25th 2016, 7:28 am

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

When you arrive you'll need to apply for a NI number.

https://www.gov.uk/apply-national-insurance-number

You'll also need a NHS number although you'll be given one of these automatically if you don't have one when you register with a GP.

Find GP services - NHS Choices

You should also register to vote.

https://www.gov.uk/register-to-vote

Will you have anyone you can stay with it? As Pulaski points out you'll need proof of address in order to open a bank account but you'll need a bank account to be able to rent a property.

If you passed your driving test in any EU country or a designated country (Andorra, Australia, Barbados, British Virgin Islands, Canada, Falkland Islands, Faroe Islands, Gibraltar, Hong Kong, Japan, Monaco, New Zealand, Republic of Korea, Singapore, South Africa, Switzerland and Zimbabwe) then you can exchange your driving licence for a GB driving licence.

https://www.gov.uk/exchange-foreign-driving-licence

If not then you can drive on your foreign licence for up to twelve months before having to pass a driving test in the UK and obtain a GB licence in order to continue driving. If you plan to buy a car then you shouldn't leave this late as the UK's driving tests are comparatively difficult and you may need several hours of lessons and several attempts at the test to pass.
Old Feb 25th 2016, 7:38 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

scot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond repute

The Bank Account can be the most difficult part of it. When you register with a doctor, take your passport to prove your right to stay here. They may not ask for it but........................After years of dealing with hostile bureaucrats in the Middle East ,the Third World and in Eastern Europe, it was amazingly easy for me when I resettled in Britain after many years away.
Old Feb 25th 2016, 11:28 am
BE Enthusiast

teejaydee has a reputation beyond reputeteejaydee has a reputation beyond reputeteejaydee has a reputation beyond reputeteejaydee has a reputation beyond reputeteejaydee has a reputation beyond reputeteejaydee has a reputation beyond reputeteejaydee has a reputation beyond reputeteejaydee has a reputation beyond reputeteejaydee has a reputation beyond reputeteejaydee has a reputation beyond reputeteejaydee has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by scot47
When you register with a doctor, take your passport to prove your right to stay here.
Will he not also have to prove he is resident in the UK, by producing a tenancy agreement or utility bill?
Old Feb 25th 2016, 11:33 am

Originally Posted by teejaydee
Will he not also have to prove he is resident in the UK, by producing a tenancy agreement or utility bill?
Normally you need to provide recent proof of address to demonstrate that you are in the GP's catchment area. It can vary widely between surgeries however.
Old Feb 25th 2016, 6:22 pm
Just Joined

Thanks very much
But if I am putting up with a friend for a start I won't v a lease agreement yet.
What if I start building a utility bill prior to my arrival,like gas or electricity. Will that be categorized as illegal?
Just thinking of how I can bridge d no lease agreement stuff for d main time.
Thanks
Old Feb 25th 2016, 6:33 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by BritInParis
When you arrive you'll need to apply for a NI number.

https://www.gov.uk/apply-national-insurance-number

You'll also need a NHS number although you'll be given one of these automatically if you don't have one when you register with a GP.

Find GP services - NHS Choices

You should also register to vote.

https://www.gov.uk/register-to-vote

Will you have anyone you can stay with it? As Pulaski points out you'll need proof of address in order to open a bank account but you'll need a bank account to be able to rent a property.

If you passed your driving test in any EU country or a designated country (Andorra, Australia, Barbados, British Virgin Islands, Canada, Falkland Islands, Faroe Islands, Gibraltar, Hong Kong, Japan, Monaco, New Zealand, Republic of Korea, Singapore, South Africa, Switzerland and Zimbabwe) then you can exchange your driving licence for a GB driving licence.

https://www.gov.uk/exchange-foreign-driving-licence

If not then you can drive on your foreign licence for up to twelve months before having to pass a driving test in the UK and obtain a GB licence in order to continue driving. If you plan to buy a car then you shouldn't leave this late as the UK's driving tests are comparatively difficult and you may need several hours of lessons and several attempts at the test to pass.
Thanks so very much for the info,
And yes I v someone to stay with for d time bin

Last edited by bola14; Feb 25th 2016 at 6:55 pm.
Old Feb 25th 2016, 7:21 pm
Just Joined

Assuming I want to proceed on a postgraduate degree.will I be treated as a home student or Intl?

Thanks
Old Feb 25th 2016, 7:27 pm

Originally Posted by bola14
Assuming I want to proceed on a postgraduate degree.will I be treated as a home student or Intl? .....
You'll be an international student until you have lived in the UK for three years even though you are a British citizen. If you live in Scotland the rules might be different.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.