British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Europe (https://britishexpats.com/forum/europe-55/)
-   -   Short Intro (https://britishexpats.com/forum/europe-55/short-intro-866822/)

sloscot Oct 20th 2015 12:28 am

Short Intro

Hello

New member just introducing myself. Not quite an ex-pat yet but well on the way. Been in love with Slovenia since I first visited in 86, and finally bought a house in Dreznica near Kobarid last year. Intend to retire there in the next couple of years.

A couple of things I'm looking for info on if anyone has any experience:

1. Any good places to buy a car in my area of the country?

2. Anyone know an accountant who can advise on when it would be best to move from UK tax residency to Slovenian and what the rules and rates are? (latest I could find online was a few years old)

Thanks for any suggestions and hope to chat with some of you sometime.

regards
sloscot

SloJohn Oct 21st 2015 9:15 pm

Re: Short Intro

Hello sloscot,

Welcome to the forum. Unfortunately activity is very sparse on this sub forum and you may struggle to get many responses. In the old days(before the crash of 2008) there was a good number of posts on all things Slovenian.

Sorry can't help with your two questions but good luck with your plans.

John

sloscot Oct 30th 2015 1:33 am

Thanks for the welcome John; sorry to hear there's not many folk about anymore.

cheers

Sloscot

booboo24 Nov 15th 2015 5:48 pm

Hi and welcome to the forum. My Partner is retired keeps all his finances int he UK. His research says he is better off that way.

I run a small business here and pay my tax's here. It is a very hard system to work out and is not at all friendly to self-employed or if you are a small business.

scot47 Nov 21st 2015 4:07 pm

What are the chances of finding a Slovenian accountant who is up to speed on the UK Tax System ? Nil I would have thought.

M AND G Dec 3rd 2015 6:43 pm

Nearly forgotten how to post.... So hi to the two Sloes. We could make it three with John, Scott and Sloe, my favourite.
Anyway, no nowt about accountants in SLO as when we bought and imported from Slovenia some time back it was just VAT that had to account for with profits made in UK. Good luck with sorting it out.
Anyway driving over in a couple of weeks for Christmas, Christmas market in Germany, bit of skiing in Austria, Italy or SLO and some fun with good friends.
The old days of Our Slovenia and daily posts are long gone.
Lets keep in touch via here so seasons best to all.....M & G

booboo24 Dec 8th 2015 3:43 pm

Originally Posted by scot47 (Post 11799629)
What are the chances of finding a Slovenian accountant who is up to speed on the UK Tax System ? Nil I would have thought.

I cant help you with that, trying to find an account that knows about the Slovenian law is hard enough. I do know of people who run businesses here and claim to pay there tax in the UK.

M&J Good to hear you are still in the land of the living. Enjoy your skiing.
Fizztom and her partner made the move here last June and now have a little shop in Maribor selling lots of spices from around the world.

We are off to Montenegro tomorrow for three months, I will be working with stray animals while Chris enjoys his beer and sea view.

M AND G Dec 8th 2015 4:06 pm

Hi Boo, you guys enjoy the winter months........
May try the Maribor shop. Anybaddress or directions to it ??
Cheers, M

fizzytom Feb 25th 2016 6:25 pm

Originally Posted by M AND G (Post 11810292)
Hi Boo, you guys enjoy the winter months........
May try the Maribor shop. Anybaddress or directions to it ??
Cheers, M

Hi M AND G!

We are actually moving premises this weekend and the new shop is on Vetrinjska ulica (number 5). Almost opposite the Elektro Maribor offices.

Gordon Barlow Jan 21st 2017 7:40 pm

Originally Posted by SloJohn (Post 11776745)
Unfortunately activity is very sparse on this sub forum and you may struggle to get many responses. In the old days(before the crash of 2008) there was a good number of posts on all things Slovenian.

Melania Trump's hometown in Slovenia marks inauguration | abc13.com
I thought the fact that the USA's First Lady is Slovenian-born might spark interest in this thread, but not yet, it seems! I passed through the country when it was just a province of Yugoslavia in 1964, on my way south from Austria to Greece in a VW Beetle, and again in 1976 on my way north from Greece to Italy in a Kombi van. Memories are vague after all this time, but in my mind I carry an image of a pleasant green countryside (unless that was the Rijeka peninsula!? Shame on me!), and a much more "European" feel to it than the rest of Yugoslavia. I always think kindly of it.

M AND G Jan 21st 2017 8:31 pm

Beautiful women. Does not deserve all the 'stuff' doled out on social media and on radio talk shows !
She does not have an easy gig but no doubt the money helps. Anyone thinking of Pippa M at the ball or is that just me ...

Caymans sounds better than UK at the moment but you are so right about Slovenia - absolute jewel in Europe and then add on the people and the food.
Be over in a few weeks and for Ski Flying - look for 8 Union Jacks rather than St G cross as they stand out better. Should be on Eurosport, Slo TV and on Planica page gallery..??
Best to all for 2017, M and G