Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe
Reload this Page >

Lost passport renewal from abroad

Lost passport renewal from abroad

Old Mar 21st 2013, 7:08 am
Just Joined

Mgeorgop is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Lost passport renewal from abroad

Hello everyone and help! My British passport was stolen last month while I was visiting Italy. I was born in Italy from a British father (born in the UK) and I have been living in Greece since 1982 when I married my Greek husband.
I am shocked to find out that not only I cannot apply for a new passport at the British Consulate in Athens, but also that they can give absolutely no information on how to fill out the form.
To make matters even worse I can only ask for information by calling a special number in the UK and by giving them my credit card number over the phone so they can charge me 72p +VAT a minute! I find this unethical and ridiculous that British Consulates no longer take care of passport renewals - this was always one of their main duties. Very disappointing.
Anyway, I did call the number (at a cost of E15) to clarify a few things (also because the E180 fee is non-refundable in case of any mistakes!), but now realise I am not sure about one final thing: do I need to send them my marriage certificate as well? I am sending them a photocopy of the stolen passport and they should already have the marriage certificate from my first application.
Thankyou!

Last edited by Mgeorgop; Mar 21st 2013 at 7:20 am.
Old Mar 21st 2013, 7:22 am
Just Joined

Default Re: Lost passport renewal from abroad

Sorry, I just realised I have posted this in the wrong forum. Will try to redirect.

Am not able to post elsewhere. The only place where I can find the 'New Thread" icon to click on is here. I appreciate anyone who can answer my question. thank you!

Last edited by Mgeorgop; Mar 21st 2013 at 7:40 am.
Old Mar 21st 2013, 9:09 am

Location: Wellington - I miss Castles, the NHS & English school system
MrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond repute

have you tried this? https://www.gov.uk/overseas-passports
Old Mar 21st 2013, 10:29 am
Just Joined

Yes, thank you. this is where I was sent to by the Consulate here. Doesn't answer all my questions though. :-(
Old Mar 21st 2013, 12:19 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mgeorgop
Sorry, I just realised I have posted this in the wrong forum. Will try to redirect.

Am not able to post elsewhere. The only place where I can find the 'New Thread" icon to click on is here. I appreciate anyone who can answer my question. thank you!
I have moved your thread over to the General Europe forum.