Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe
Reload this Page >

Ideas please - what to give a Slovenian as a pressie from the UK

Ideas please - what to give a Slovenian as a pressie from the UK

Old Jan 25th 2013, 9:08 am
Forum Regular

fizzytom is a name known to allfizzytom is a name known to allfizzytom is a name known to allfizzytom is a name known to allfizzytom is a name known to allfizzytom is a name known to allfizzytom is a name known to allfizzytom is a name known to allfizzytom is a name known to allfizzytom is a name known to allfizzytom is a name known to all
Default Re: Ideas please - what to give a Slovenian as a pressie from the UK

We're going to find out what Slovenians think of haggis as I decided that it was a suitable gift. There's a nice tin of fudge too in case the haggis doesn't go down too well
Old Jan 25th 2013, 9:44 am
Forum Regular

mbkarl is on a distinguished road

Should take the picture of the Queen as a backup. You should sign it Elisabeth R as well, they'll never know
Old Jan 25th 2013, 10:06 am
Forum Regular

booboo24 has much to be proud ofbooboo24 has much to be proud ofbooboo24 has much to be proud ofbooboo24 has much to be proud ofbooboo24 has much to be proud ofbooboo24 has much to be proud ofbooboo24 has much to be proud ofbooboo24 has much to be proud ofbooboo24 has much to be proud ofbooboo24 has much to be proud ofbooboo24 has much to be proud of

I thought haggis was Scottish? x
Old Jan 25th 2013, 11:05 am
Forum Regular

mbkarl is on a distinguished road

I wouldnt worry either way most slovenians tend to think
the UK/Britain is England and London is England
Old Jan 25th 2013, 11:53 am
Forum Regular

fizzytom is a name known to allfizzytom is a name known to allfizzytom is a name known to allfizzytom is a name known to allfizzytom is a name known to allfizzytom is a name known to allfizzytom is a name known to allfizzytom is a name known to allfizzytom is a name known to allfizzytom is a name known to allfizzytom is a name known to all

You're right Una but I asked for suggestions for something British/English. And Newcastle is nearly Scotland....

Do you want me to bring one over for Chris?
Old Jan 25th 2013, 5:26 pm
Forum Regular

booboo24 has much to be proud ofbooboo24 has much to be proud ofbooboo24 has much to be proud ofbooboo24 has much to be proud ofbooboo24 has much to be proud ofbooboo24 has much to be proud ofbooboo24 has much to be proud ofbooboo24 has much to be proud ofbooboo24 has much to be proud ofbooboo24 has much to be proud ofbooboo24 has much to be proud of

MBkarl your right! Its just when is see/hear word haggis I think Scotland,
Also most people think Ireland is part of the British isles.

Fizz just seen your post so don't worry.
Old Jan 26th 2013, 4:09 pm
Just Joined

24digital24 is an unknown quantity at this point

I am often asked if I could bring over some Guinness and I always take different English foods over for them to try eg Mustard, Marmite, Mature Cheddar Cheese and English Breakfast Tea.
Old Jan 27th 2013, 7:50 pm
Forum Regular

Mmmm seriously strong cheddar Please
Old Feb 2nd 2013, 10:14 pm
BE Enthusiast

Ray51 has much to be proud ofRay51 has much to be proud ofRay51 has much to be proud ofRay51 has much to be proud ofRay51 has much to be proud ofRay51 has much to be proud ofRay51 has much to be proud ofRay51 has much to be proud ofRay51 has much to be proud ofRay51 has much to be proud ofRay51 has much to be proud of

Branston Pickle ? Red London bus miniature ? Beanz meanz Heinz ?
a good chunk of Roast ( tenderloin ) Beef , rare-ish + horseradish sauce ?
books on parts of our country , a Lilly Alen video ( Live in Arras France , or Glastonbury or Werchter , Bruxelles -Belgique , or V-fest...Lotto Arena...)...
Bur : what's the relationship ? What's the budget ?
Up the price : a water-proof Barbour ( should do nicely 4 walking the dogs near Ptuj or Postojna ) , a Burberry , green wellies , Reeboks , Range Rover Evoque , a Jag S-Type to restore , many a thing from John Lewis or Marx'n'Sparkz ( before the latter also "go in" ) , a good piece of uniquely good Cambridge/Oxford Hi-Fi , some mature single-malt ,a boxed DVDs-set of Morse or miss Jenkins or Bowie The Thin White Duke , Pink Floyd , The Clash ...should all do nicely ,
or what does the illustrious BE Forum think ?
Old Jan 3rd 2014, 11:21 am
Forum Regular

M AND G is just really niceM AND G is just really niceM AND G is just really niceM AND G is just really niceM AND G is just really niceM AND G is just really niceM AND G is just really niceM AND G is just really nice

One Slovenian who seems to have got a great pressie from England was Aljaz Skorjanec.......what a pair with AC?
I appreciate that this is not as highbrow as Kiaser Bill, the book and the film recently posted but as current Strictly winner it is more relevant to today!
Also popped over for lunch and dinner a week or so back and to get my watch repaired at a fraction of the cost of it being done in the UK. Really good quick trip but oh what has happened to the winter season. It looks like spring today on the KG web cameras which will make Adele happy no doubt. Here in the UK it seems like a monsoon . Still a happy new year to everyone.....keep dancing if you can't keep skiing !! M
Anyone - is it safe to book a ski trip to SLO in the next month or so??
Old Jan 3rd 2014, 12:46 pm
BE Enthusiast

Ray51 has much to be proud ofRay51 has much to be proud ofRay51 has much to be proud ofRay51 has much to be proud ofRay51 has much to be proud ofRay51 has much to be proud ofRay51 has much to be proud ofRay51 has much to be proud ofRay51 has much to be proud ofRay51 has much to be proud ofRay51 has much to be proud of

I fail to comprehend : are you today in SLO or in Engerland ( Nova Roumanija / Bulgarija / sirotinje on benfits vishe nego zaposlenih , uskoro )??? WElcome to the New UE , whre utter paupers scream much more loudly for their imagined "right" , than Paris , Berlin , Amsterdam Stockhom and London together !
People failed to vote for Nigel Farrage at the good time/s , so now all can take The Blame , not least The then-called "New Labour" , the uggly Lib-Dem opportunists and the weak & inefficient Tories .
I disagree that you have a decent watch attended to in SLO for less then e.g. In Richmond or Kingston-upon-Thames , long-term established and well-recommended specialits , for most better brands )!
As for really good Sunday Roast ( medium-or-less cooked beef and/or Lamb , chicken pork ) there'll NEVER be a place like here - 7 quid includes a nice pint of your choice ( and there dozen to choose from e.g. Stella , Tuborg , Carlsberg , 1664 , Becks , Warsteiner etc - clearly superior to Zlatorog ar , God Forbid : Ynion , Lashko , Zhuja, Pan , Karlovachko...agree ? Try the King's Tun in Station Rd , Kingston , Coronation Hall in Surbiton , The Watchman in New Malden , the one ( name escapes me - as still too sober !? ) opposite great Aldi in Walton on Thames , not to start you on The Ram , The King's Head , The Foresters in Hampton Wick , the Mill & the Druid's head ( Kingston ) and inumerable others , nearby , Greater SW London ;
the best coffes , like Lavazza are from 1.20 , Illy from 1.60 , I think ( free in paper cup from Waitrose IF you have the card ) , NO : Caffe Franck , Krash , Radenska , IstraVino , Badel itd and most other ex-Balkans products/"brands" never considered GB an interesting nor profitable market , so , poor us , we have to put up w. hated French , Italian , German , Belgian and own U.K. produce , often cheaper nowadays ( apples for apples ! ) then accross La Manche , agree ?
But ski in Kranjska Gora should soon be O.K. , if all else fails , get back to Schoenen Tyrol , think also of Schumi , in coma , on his 45 B'day

Last edited by Ray51; Jan 3rd 2014 at 12:52 pm. Reason: spelling , letters missed , in hurry get out & onto my little English town
Old Jan 4th 2014, 3:38 pm
Forum Regular

M AND G is just really niceM AND G is just really niceM AND G is just really niceM AND G is just really niceM AND G is just really niceM AND G is just really niceM AND G is just really niceM AND G is just really nice

Unsure if it was the beer talking or the real Ray 51.......I got a tad lost but then as I get older I get harder of thinking !?
No, we are in London sitting burning the furniture in the wood burner which nowadays is classified as being very PC and carbon crediting. Stick with the old and it usually becomes fashionable again, works with people also, and perhaps even with ideas or ways of doing things. Gill has just indicated that she wants me to burn next what can loosely be described as our neo Tyrollean look table from the Kings Road circa 1970! A man has got to draw the line somewhere so I will Farrage for logs in the garden.
Yes Nigel who will no doubt win the euro election and go on to loose the following one for some other party.
Next I can assure you that Tic Tok is better than 'Watches of a non EU Country' or Kingston's Argos!
I hated Kingston in my youth whist doing a post grad course but I bow to your knowledge of good public houses and I will endeavor to try one or two of them but food oh no ......... gastro and pile em high Sunday roasts are not a patch on the restaurant at the golf course in Bled or many I could mention in Sloland.
I had to send my roast lamb back two weeks ago at a famous foodie pub and had salmon on a chive mash to replace it. You can hardly cock that up thankfully.
On the coffee front just put in a bean to mouth machine and using Lav initially but favour Illy and not the free Nescafé something we had in metro today.. Could have been worse if I had been dragged into CSL or SCS ( Chav Sofas Ltd or Seriously Chav Sofas) for a sit down , a free coffee and an hours sales pitch!
Still have just looked at the shrinking and melting snow in KG and have to decide if you are as good a judge of snowy conditions as the political climate..?? It looks as if Slo might miss out on snow and move directly to spring. Perhaps Saas Fe will cut the mustard this year which is the place I learnt to ski in back when you bolted on planks to your boots!
Don't worry too much about the Bulgarians and Rumanian as they have been in south London for many years already
Cheers and Michael is nearly out of the woods my F1 chums are telling me.
Michael
Old Jan 5th 2014, 9:09 pm
Forum Regular

Just noticed that I seem to have been given a 'pressie' from Slovenia.
My new Siemens bean to cup coffee machine, something Gill did not want us to get, so a bit of a self pressie, was in fact Made in Slovenia........but who made it for Siemens?? Do they have a factory in SLO or could it have been made by Gorenje??
Whatever the answer which I hope someone will provide, I now feel that when I have a coffee from it I will occasionally be able to raise a cup to the wonderful but sadly missed Mike , of Mike & Janet.
On another more uplifting note, it will be good to see a proud nation (us!) marching back to work tomorrow after a short Christmas break. I can't wait.
Regards, M