Reload this Page >

Europe Vs. Canada

Europe Vs. Canada

Old Jul 15th 2016, 11:23 am
Just Joined

DahliaShhh is an unknown quantity at this point
Question Europe Vs. Canada

Hello Guys.
Okay so I'm and Egyptian girl, 21 years old, still living in Egypt, Studying Business (Major: Finance and Accounting) and i still have 1 year left to graduate unfortunately.
I wanted to do my masters and then work and live in either Europe or Canada. My dad has the Dutch nationality so i could go there or i could go to Canada. I'm also thinking of Australia or New Zealand. The problem is, Europe is not so safe now and i'm afraid. Also Amsterdam is a very small city and there is a very high job scarcity there so i'm afraid i wont find a job there.
I also want a country with friendly people, a little bit bigger, with better weather and more activities to do outside. I never ever traveled outside of Egypt so i dont have anything to base my choice on. I read a lot online but i dont think this is enough to choose a country to move to and start a new life there and then regret it. If anybody has any suggestions, help, advices it'd be very much appreciated. Thank you so much in advance.
Old Jul 15th 2016, 11:36 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Europe Vs. Canada

Hi, welcome to BE.

Would you definitely qualify for a visa for Canada? That might make the decision for you, if you can move to the Netherlands easily but can't move to Canada anyway!

Best of luck deciding.
Old Jul 15th 2016, 11:48 am
Just Joined

DahliaShhh is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
Hi, welcome to BE.

Would you definitely qualify for a visa for Canada? That might make the decision for you, if you can move to the Netherlands easily but can't move to Canada anyway!

Best of luck deciding.
I heard the student visa is the easiest to get so i might request a student visa to do my masters in Canada. I'm just not sure which one is better!
Old Jul 15th 2016, 1:47 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DahliaShhh
I heard the student visa is the easiest to get so i might request a student visa to do my masters in Canada. I'm just not sure which one is better!
If you've got the money (tens of thousands of dollars) then it's a good way over, but it's obviously not permanently and it sounds like your plan is to move permanently?

You've opened loads of duplicate threads in various forums, please do just stick to one thread on each subject rather than cross posting across forums, thx.
Old Jul 19th 2016, 8:53 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Gozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond repute

Get your EU Dutch passport irregardless, as your Egyptian one isn't very good for traveling or visiting places. Get that paperwork started now... For Canada as oompa said you will need to come on a visa, student visa to do your masters will cost alot. In contrast you could do your masters in Europe for very little as an EU citizen.

I wouldn't worry about Europe being "unsafe" as a result of terrorist attacks. It could just as likely happen again in Can/Aus/US/NZ. Or even in Egypt where you are now. I may be a little more cautious around France, but Europe as a whole I would not discount. I went to France in March and didn't feel unsafe at all.

On your EU passport you could also look at working holiday opportunities in Canada, Australia and New Zealand. BE has a wealth of info on all of these processes. Again, this would be alot easier if you were using a Dutch passport, I don't think working holidays are available for Egyptians.

According to google, dual citizenship is legal for Egyptians, so you would not lose your Egyptian citizenship.

Looks like if your dad has acknowledged your birth/his paternity and/or your parents are married, you are good to go on Dutch nationality. https://ind.nl/en/individuals/reside...zenship-by-law

If you get Dutch nationality beware that you can lose it if you are outside the country for 10+ years and do not have a valid Dutch passport. (https://www.government.nl/topics/dut...ch-nationality) So basically always keep a valid Dutch passport

Cheers
Old Jul 21st 2016, 10:56 am
BE Forum Addict

cyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Gozit
Get your EU Dutch passport irregardless, as your Egyptian one isn't very good for traveling or visiting places. Get that paperwork started now... For Canada as oompa said you will need to come on a visa, student visa to do your masters will cost alot. In contrast you could do your masters in Europe for very little as an EU citizen.

I wouldn't worry about Europe being "unsafe" as a result of terrorist attacks. It could just as likely happen again in Can/Aus/US/NZ. Or even in Egypt where you are now. I may be a little more cautious around France, but Europe as a whole I would not discount. I went to France in March and didn't feel unsafe at all.

On your EU passport you could also look at working holiday opportunities in Canada, Australia and New Zealand. BE has a wealth of info on all of these processes. Again, this would be alot easier if you were using a Dutch passport, I don't think working holidays are available for Egyptians.

According to google, dual citizenship is legal for Egyptians, so you would not lose your Egyptian citizenship.

Looks like if your dad has acknowledged your birth/his paternity and/or your parents are married, you are good to go on Dutch nationality. https://ind.nl/en/individuals/reside...zenship-by-law

If you get Dutch nationality beware that you can lose it if you are outside the country for 10+ years and do not have a valid Dutch passport. (https://www.government.nl/topics/dut...ch-nationality) So basically always keep a valid Dutch passport

Cheers
+1
Get your Dutch passport which will entitle you to travel throughout Europe.
There have been terrorist attacks in France; UK; Belgium; Spain and Germany as well as many other countries in the world.
I feel safe in France but would be cautious in Paris or in London.
Please be aware that Muslim-looking people ( not necessarily Muslim ) are experiencing greater resentment from a small number of citizens in several European countries.
What languages do you speak? That would reduce your options.
You need to visit the countries that interest you before you make up your mind.
Get your Dutch passport
Old Jul 21st 2016, 11:41 am
Dichotomus tinker

not2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DahliaShhh
I wanted to do my masters and then work and live in either Europe or Canada. My dad has the Dutch nationality so i could go there or i could go to Canada. I'm also thinking of Australia or New Zealand.

I also want a country with friendly people, a little bit bigger, with better weather and more activities to do outside. .
Dutch passport first

Europe is a big place, many opportunities, depends on the languages that you speak

On big countries - Australia, Canada & the USA these are huge compared to say the UK, France, the Netherlands.

As for friendly people, don't know that means much.

As for emigrating or working in a non-European country, you need to qualify to get into those countries - check out the specific country websites entry & visa requirements

Good luck
Old Jul 21st 2016, 4:14 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Gozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by not2old
Dutch passport first

Europe is a big place, many opportunities, depends on the languages that you speak

On big countries - Australia, Canada & the USA these are huge compared to say the UK, France, the Netherlands.

As for friendly people, don't know that means much.

As for emigrating or working in a non-European country, you need to qualify to get into those countries - check out the specific country websites entry & visa requirements

Good luck
Yes. And to emphasise the above even if you are looking to emigrate to a non-European country having a Dutch passport will be more advantageous vs having an Egyptian one. Opportunities like working holiday visas open up to you as a European citizen that you wouldn't have as an Egyptian.
Old Jul 21st 2016, 6:50 pm
BE Enthusiast

Red_Wine_Fairy has a reputation beyond reputeRed_Wine_Fairy has a reputation beyond reputeRed_Wine_Fairy has a reputation beyond reputeRed_Wine_Fairy has a reputation beyond reputeRed_Wine_Fairy has a reputation beyond reputeRed_Wine_Fairy has a reputation beyond reputeRed_Wine_Fairy has a reputation beyond reputeRed_Wine_Fairy has a reputation beyond reputeRed_Wine_Fairy has a reputation beyond reputeRed_Wine_Fairy has a reputation beyond reputeRed_Wine_Fairy has a reputation beyond repute

Why are you focused on Amsterdam? Does Egypt consist only of Cairo? Do you think we have only one University here?
Old Jul 21st 2016, 7:46 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Red_Wine_Fairy
Why are you focused on Amsterdam? Does Egypt consist only of Cairo? Do you think we have only one University here?
Sorry, but I don't think thats the case. She is thinking of the Netherlands, European countries or even Aus/NZ/Canada. Shes not only focused on AMS.
Old Aug 7th 2016, 7:55 am
BE Enthusiast

Red_Wine_Fairy has a reputation beyond reputeRed_Wine_Fairy has a reputation beyond reputeRed_Wine_Fairy has a reputation beyond reputeRed_Wine_Fairy has a reputation beyond reputeRed_Wine_Fairy has a reputation beyond reputeRed_Wine_Fairy has a reputation beyond reputeRed_Wine_Fairy has a reputation beyond reputeRed_Wine_Fairy has a reputation beyond reputeRed_Wine_Fairy has a reputation beyond reputeRed_Wine_Fairy has a reputation beyond reputeRed_Wine_Fairy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Gozit
Sorry, but I don't think thats the case. She is thinking of the Netherlands, European countries or even Aus/NZ/Canada. Shes not only focused on AMS.
Sorry Gozit, that was meant to the OP, who did specifically mention Amsterdam as being a small city with job scarcity. In her shoes I would be researching the course she wants to do first, then finding the University which offers it second. With a Dutch passport, she'd be hardpressed to find a cheaper Masters degree taught in English than in mainland Europe.