Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Far East and Asia > Singapore
Reload this Page >

Young couple moving where to live?

Young couple moving where to live?

Old Oct 24th 2013, 4:11 pm
Just Joined

lulu333 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Young couple moving where to live?

Hi,

I'm moving to singapore with my partner and at the moment the where to live question is just done by looking at the MRT map

He's going out earlier so hopefully with find temporary accommodation but I was just wondering what areas are good to live in. We don't have a massive budget, have no kids and want somewhere that's nice to live, with some restaurants/ bars around and that's an easy commute to Raffles place. A little bit of green would be nice but not the main priority. Any suggestions of areas or indeed estate agents etc would be greatly greatly appreciated.

Also, I was looking on a couple of property sites and many of the places just have pictures of the exterior or some stairwell. Is that a sign that its a hell hole for sure?
Old Oct 25th 2013, 1:34 pm

bakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Young couple moving where to live?

Hi Lulu and welcome to the forum

I no longer live in Singapore so you will no doubt get better info from those on here who are currently resident, but don't sound such a bad idea looking at the MRT map.

Singapore is a very organized city state. Some might say too organized. And you'll always find eateries close by, and you'll also find a surprising amount of green space...parks and the like.
Old Nov 9th 2013, 4:47 pm
Just Joined

raiden is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi lulu, welcome to Singapore. I would recommend somewhere in the east near the east coast park. You can look to rent some older appt or condos that are affordable. I love it there. Siglap is a good area for those restaurants/bars to hang out at too.
Old Nov 10th 2013, 6:59 am

bakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Raiden and welcome to the forum Are you living in Siglap? We used to go there a lot when we were living in Singapore. Good pub there - the Dog and Bone...think it's still going. We used to live in Katong.
Old Nov 10th 2013, 7:06 am
Just Joined

raiden is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by bakedbean
Hi Raiden and welcome to the forum Are you living in Siglap? We used to go there a lot when we were living in Singapore. Good pub there - the Dog and Bone...think it's still going. We used to live in Katong.
I used to stay in bayshore and always hangout around Siglap area. Now i live nearer to town but my art gallery is at north. Still need to travel here and there.
Old Nov 15th 2013, 11:33 am
Just Joined

Leontin is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi guys

Look for a housing agent... ERA is the biggest in Singapore. Have a friend called Leon too working for them... you can email him at [email protected]

Tell him Leon Tin recommended
Old Nov 17th 2013, 1:22 am
Last resort... format c:/

Location: Singapore to Surfers Paradise to... Tenerife... to Gran Canaria!
astera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lulu333
We don't have a massive budget, have no kids and want somewhere that's nice to live, with some restaurants/ bars around and that's an easy commute to Raffles place. A little bit of green would be nice but not the main priority.
Somewhere along the river would allow you to walk to Raffles place on auto-pilot. Plus there's buses and even a water taxi that you could use.

You might want to check out propertyguru.com.sg and on a limited budget I think River Place would prove to be a perfect choice due to the location (along the river, loads of restaurants/bars at your doorstep, etc.): http://www.propertyguru.com.sg/proje...ace-191/rent/1

Do some sorting in terms of # of bedrooms and see if you find something you like. Another good place in terms of location and price would be: http://www.propertyguru.com.sg/proje...are-265/rent/1

Either way, stay close to the river if you like to go out to bars/restaurants, take long walks without having to deal with traffic, etc.