Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Far East and Asia > Singapore
Reload this Page >

Working Life in Singapore.

Working Life in Singapore.

Old Nov 13th 2011, 8:07 am
Auntie Fa

Kooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Working Life in Singapore.

No idea. I've never had a visa or PR under my own steam, I just married well
Old Nov 13th 2011, 9:31 am
Forum Regular

Harlow Lad has much to be proud ofHarlow Lad has much to be proud ofHarlow Lad has much to be proud ofHarlow Lad has much to be proud ofHarlow Lad has much to be proud ofHarlow Lad has much to be proud ofHarlow Lad has much to be proud ofHarlow Lad has much to be proud ofHarlow Lad has much to be proud ofHarlow Lad has much to be proud ofHarlow Lad has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Seasider
I can understand that

The agency I worked for was very small ("boutique" they called it ) and expat-owned, with local junior designers. I do know a lot of expats in the media industry, for sure, but I don't agree that Singaporeans are not very creative! I know some very talented people there, but maybe it's true to say that their parents would rather they were doctors or accountants.

Companies do have to stick to a ratio of local to foreign talent. Can't remember the details now. (I was a Singapore PR.)
Yeap typical Asian attitude not everyone can handle scalpel and numbers . Mention of scalpel I do use it very often on packaging mock up rather than meat . I would say I'm a doctor in packaging bet that will please my parent.

I can understand why the singapore government have to control the job market. Its easy to get PR however you need to get over the first hurdle getting an employment pass thats the tricky bit.
Old Nov 30th 2011, 2:41 am
Emeritus Senior Minister

Paul2O has much to be proud ofPaul2O has much to be proud ofPaul2O has much to be proud ofPaul2O has much to be proud ofPaul2O has much to be proud ofPaul2O has much to be proud ofPaul2O has much to be proud ofPaul2O has much to be proud ofPaul2O has much to be proud ofPaul2O has much to be proud ofPaul2O has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Harlow Lad
Yeap typical Asian attitude not everyone can handle scalpel and numbers . Mention of scalpel I do use it very often on packaging mock up rather than meat . I would say I'm a doctor in packaging bet that will please my parent.

I can understand why the singapore government have to control the job market. Its easy to get PR however you need to get over the first hurdle getting an employment pass thats the tricky bit.
Your wife, Accountant, probably can get employment pass easily. You, Artist, cannot get so easily. Sorry to say that.

Once your wife gets employment pass, you can apply for dependent pass, then get letter of consent (LOC) which will allow you to work in Singapore.
Old Nov 30th 2011, 4:58 am
Forum Regular

Harlow Lad has much to be proud ofHarlow Lad has much to be proud ofHarlow Lad has much to be proud ofHarlow Lad has much to be proud ofHarlow Lad has much to be proud ofHarlow Lad has much to be proud ofHarlow Lad has much to be proud ofHarlow Lad has much to be proud ofHarlow Lad has much to be proud ofHarlow Lad has much to be proud ofHarlow Lad has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Paul2O
Your wife, Accountant, probably can get employment pass easily. You, Artist, cannot get so easily. Sorry to say that.

Once your wife gets employment pass, you can apply for dependent pass, then get letter of consent (LOC) which will allow you to work in Singapore.
Really? Thats a downer. Anyway I'll let my new employer sort this out, because I havent got a clue about visa business in Singapore.

Do my wife need to get a EP visa before finding a job? Or can she apply it by her own?
Old Nov 30th 2011, 5:43 am
Emeritus Senior Minister

Paul2O has much to be proud ofPaul2O has much to be proud ofPaul2O has much to be proud ofPaul2O has much to be proud ofPaul2O has much to be proud ofPaul2O has much to be proud ofPaul2O has much to be proud ofPaul2O has much to be proud ofPaul2O has much to be proud ofPaul2O has much to be proud ofPaul2O has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Harlow Lad
Really? Thats a downer. Anyway I'll let my new employer sort this out, because I havent got a clue about visa business in Singapore.

Do my wife need to get a EP visa before finding a job? Or can she apply it by her own?
If one of you get EP, the other half can just get Letter of Consent (LOC) to work. Only 1 person needs to have EP.

Of course, if both of you can get EPs independently, it is better. If one of you lose your job, the second EP is still valid and the jobless person can still stay on as dependent.