Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Far East and Asia > Singapore
Reload this Page >

Where can I get a bite to eat Orchard Road east?

Where can I get a bite to eat Orchard Road east?

Old Sep 27th 2011, 9:40 am

bakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond repute
Default Where can I get a bite to eat Orchard Road east?

Somewhere to eat with okayish food and preferably inexpensive. Anyone know if that basement foodcourt opposite the Hilton is still going? Not looking for a gourmet restaurant... just somewhere to get a plateful of something edible before meeting up with folks at a pub. Anyone?
Old Sep 27th 2011, 11:05 am
BE Forum Addict

ex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Where can I get a bite to eat Orchard Road east?

Anywhere.
In fact there used to be a good pub called Anywhere iirc in Tanglin Shopping Mall.

But Newton Circus is only two stops and a short walk by MRT.
Keep away from the seafood and the nosh is OK.
Old Sep 28th 2011, 8:51 am

bakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond repute

Ha... think I remember Anywhere. Do you remember the Treffpunkt Cafe that used to be in the basement of Tanglin? Mr Foo behind the bar. What a character he was.

Not sure about eating just anywhere. Last time we were in Orchard, must be 2 or 3 years ago, plenty of rip-off places to eat. Don't think we'll have time to get up to Newton Circus on this trip as only 1 day in Singapore
Old Sep 28th 2011, 11:10 am
Auntie Fa

Kooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond repute

Isn't Anywhere long gone? I know Tania and the band moved on to the Harry's behind OT. (I only went to Anywhere once, that was enough.)

I'm confused by Orchard Road East + Hilton hotel - isn't the Hilton west? Are you going in the pub almost next door to the Hilton?

You can go to any number of shopping mall food courts - OK food, relatively cheap. The one right at the top of Wisma Atria is fine - Food Republic, issit? Or the basement of Taka, or some places in Lucky Plaza.

You wil certainly notice a lot of changes around there, with the new ION mall on top of Orchard MRT. Full of designer shops - oh it has cheapy food in the basement, too.
Old Sep 28th 2011, 1:40 pm

Oh bugger, sorry i was upside down yeh West. Cheers for that. Pub near Hilton yup. Ha ha. No evening food there that night unfortunately
Old Sep 28th 2011, 11:27 pm
Auntie Fa

Kooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond repute

Glad we cleared that up, I was trying to find another Hilton - had it in my head there might be one down near the Istana but that's a Holiday Inn I think.

I can't keep up with the place - so many new hotels! We still stay in our cheapy as we only shower and sleep there for a couple of nights but one trip I would like to have a real holiday there and spend time round a nice pool instead of running around between doctors and dentists! (I do usually manage a few hours the Fairmont - old Raffles Plaza, my old gym - for some spa treatments.)

I'm very envious. Looks like my holiday plans are on hold as I'm starting a short-term contract next week. Didn't go looking for it but hey, part-time and temporary (prob up to Christmas) seems perfect for me at the moment.

Please give Sharon a huge hug from me, and tell her I still enjoy all the Facebook photos.
Old Oct 7th 2011, 3:43 am

Yup... good pub the Sportsman and nice folks in there. I shall darken their doors again no doubt.

Found the little basement foodcourt that we used to frequent - opposite the Hilton called M73 foodcourt I think. It's in that building that used to be nicknamed the 4 Floors of Whores Judging by some of the colourful looking laydees eating in the foodcourt, not much changed there.

Anyway.... good hawker food in there. Cheapish for Singapore, though double the price (at least) what we would pay in Penang.
Old Oct 7th 2011, 3:50 am
Auntie Fa

Orchard Towers. Hasn't it been en bloc for years now?

Be surprised if some of those laydees were all they seemed to be. Used to occasionally end up there after a messy Hyatt brunch.

edit: and I'm still not sure of the polite response when your friend shouts you over to cop a feel of a "lady's" boobs, because hasn't the surgeon done a good job?

Last edited by Kooky.; Oct 7th 2011 at 3:53 am.
Old Oct 7th 2011, 10:03 am

Ah yes.... they seemed to be Russian or eastern European and were eating from the Western stall... chips and stuff. Why eat chips in Singapore??

We went temporarily vegetarian in there as the Indian muslim stall has some real tasty dishes... spicy tofu and veggies and eggs and stuff. Very nice.