Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Far East and Asia > Singapore
Reload this Page >

What must we see in Singapore..

What must we see in Singapore..

Old Aug 11th 2005, 5:02 pm
BE Enthusiast

JJJHM is a jewel in the roughJJJHM is a jewel in the roughJJJHM is a jewel in the roughJJJHM is a jewel in the rough
Default What must we see in Singapore..

Hi, can anyone give us some tips, we will be in Singapore for 3 nights mid September. Our children are aged just 3 and 1 so apart from the Zoo what are the places we must visit.. We are staying at The Oriental, which I believe has just been refuirbished..

Many thanks

Julie
Old Aug 12th 2005, 1:16 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

JackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What must we see in Singapore..

Originally Posted by JJJHM
Hi, can anyone give us some tips, we will be in Singapore for 3 nights mid September. Our children are aged just 3 and 1 so apart from the Zoo what are the places we must visit.. We are staying at The Oriental, which I believe has just been refuirbished..

Many thanks

Julie
For the kids, Sentosa can be great fun for a whole day. I also liked Jurong Bird Park. If you want something classy for yourselves (the adults), high tea at the Tiffin Room at the Raffles is highly recommended.

Enjoy!

Mrs JTL
Old Aug 12th 2005, 7:53 am
BE Enthusiast

JJJHM is a jewel in the roughJJJHM is a jewel in the roughJJJHM is a jewel in the roughJJJHM is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by JackTheLad
For the kids, Sentosa can be great fun for a whole day. I also liked Jurong Bird Park. If you want something classy for yourselves (the adults), high tea at the Tiffin Room at the Raffles is highly recommended.

Enjoy!

Mrs JTL
Many thanks... sentosa sounds good as does high tea!!... mustn't forget that at least one singapore sling is one my priorities!!
Old Aug 14th 2005, 3:58 pm
Freedom!

Jockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond repute

If you love food. I mean really love food. There is a street in Singers called Smith Street(i think thats the name) Go there in the evening and you can try some amazing food. The black pepper crab is a local delicacy. Awsome!
Old Aug 15th 2005, 1:55 am
Remember

Desert Dweller has a reputation beyond reputeDesert Dweller has a reputation beyond reputeDesert Dweller has a reputation beyond reputeDesert Dweller has a reputation beyond reputeDesert Dweller has a reputation beyond reputeDesert Dweller has a reputation beyond reputeDesert Dweller has a reputation beyond reputeDesert Dweller has a reputation beyond reputeDesert Dweller has a reputation beyond reputeDesert Dweller has a reputation beyond reputeDesert Dweller has a reputation beyond repute

Go to IndoChine for dinner- it's a highlight.
Old Aug 30th 2005, 9:44 am
Just Joined

doctormister is an unknown quantity at this point

I've just returned for a week there with my kids (4, 8, 11) and the best bits for them were the zoo and the Night Safari (right next to the zoo).

The night safari is great, but make sure you walk as much as possible as yoiu get to see the animals so much better. Most people just seem to sit on the trams which only allow them to see the bigger animals and they miss all the interesting little ones.

Also walking through the jungle (albeit on a concrete pavement) at night is a great experience - the kids will love it.

Sentosa was disappointing for us. A bit run down - reminded my of a British seaside resort (in terms of peeling paint etc).

Chinatown was good, Just catching public transport (and it's ve good in Singa) was also a highlight - sad, but we come from a place where it is non existant so it was a novelty factor.

Have a good time

doctormister
Old Sep 9th 2005, 3:18 pm
semarang

novita77 has a reputation beyond reputenovita77 has a reputation beyond reputenovita77 has a reputation beyond reputenovita77 has a reputation beyond reputenovita77 has a reputation beyond reputenovita77 has a reputation beyond reputenovita77 has a reputation beyond reputenovita77 has a reputation beyond reputenovita77 has a reputation beyond reputenovita77 has a reputation beyond reputenovita77 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by doctormister
I've just returned for a week there with my kids (4, 8, 11) and the best bits for them were the zoo and the Night Safari (right next to the zoo).

The night safari is great, but make sure you walk as much as possible as yoiu get to see the animals so much better. Most people just seem to sit on the trams which only allow them to see the bigger animals and they miss all the interesting little ones.

Also walking through the jungle (albeit on a concrete pavement) at night is a great experience - the kids will love it.

Sentosa was disappointing for us. A bit run down - reminded my of a British seaside resort (in terms of peeling paint etc).

Chinatown was good, Just catching public transport (and it's ve good in Singa) was also a highlight - sad, but we come from a place where it is non existant so it was a novelty factor.

Have a good time

doctormister
Agreed about Sentosa... went there ... no Panorail ... (they try to connect the existing MRT to the islands), so have to get about everywhere by bus.

We stayed there for about 1 weeks, a friend of us taking for farming tour. It is good ... no tourists at all ... mostly local. If you want to go yourself take a MRT to Yio Chu Kang / Chua Chu Kang. Sorry ... it is sounds similar ... but totally different places. If you are interested I will ask my friend again. From there, there would be a shuttle bus from the station to the farm (FARM MART). Worth a try ...

In Farm Mart you will find all sorts of things .... from fishing pond to vegetables market.

Not far from there, you can go to frog farm ... interesting place to see if u never been there before.

Have fun in Singapore.
Old Oct 17th 2005, 5:44 am
Just Joined

sail is an unknown quantity at this point

Many thanks

Julie
You can choose to see Singapore by sea. Check out Capt Lee's sail excursions at http://www.sail-with-capt-lee.com

Try the Japanese food at Ikukan located at Mohamed Ali Lane off Club street.

Check out Chinatown and Little India.
Old Dec 22nd 2005, 4:00 pm
Just Joined

originalize is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by sail
You can choose to see Singapore by sea. Check out Capt Lee's sail excursions at http://www.sail-with-capt-lee.com

Try the Japanese food at Ikukan located at Mohamed Ali Lane off Club street.

Check out Chinatown and Little India.

man didnt you try out the local delights like LAKSA or NASI LEMAK???
Old Jan 22nd 2006, 9:46 am
Just Joined

worldtraveller is a jewel in the roughworldtraveller is a jewel in the roughworldtraveller is a jewel in the roughworldtraveller is a jewel in the roughworldtraveller is a jewel in the rough

Many thanks

Julie

We were in Singapore in June - great city - for kids scrupulously clean and felt very safe. MRT system great and efficent. Would def rec the Zoo - we had no kids but spent an enjoyable day there! Beside it there is the Night Safari and Jurong Bird park. Sentosa was OK - the acquarium and the dophlin lagoon being the best bits - there are beaches but as long as you enjoy having huge tankers in the sea it will be ok!! The temples off Chinatown and Little Indian are wonderful - l think the kids would enjoy looking at the facades? Perhaps not to go at night - Orchard Road - my other half got approached a few times in a bar when l when l popped to the loo!!

Enjoy your trip!

Heather
Old Jan 22nd 2006, 9:59 am
semarang

novita77 has a reputation beyond reputenovita77 has a reputation beyond reputenovita77 has a reputation beyond reputenovita77 has a reputation beyond reputenovita77 has a reputation beyond reputenovita77 has a reputation beyond reputenovita77 has a reputation beyond reputenovita77 has a reputation beyond reputenovita77 has a reputation beyond reputenovita77 has a reputation beyond reputenovita77 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by worldtraveller
We were in Singapore in June - great city - for kids scrupulously clean and felt very safe. MRT system great and efficent. Would def rec the Zoo - we had no kids but spent an enjoyable day there! Beside it there is the Night Safari and Jurong Bird park. Sentosa was OK - the acquarium and the dophlin lagoon being the best bits - there are beaches but as long as you enjoy having huge tankers in the sea it will be ok!! The temples off Chinatown and Little Indian are wonderful - l think the kids would enjoy looking at the facades? Perhaps not to go at night - Orchard Road - my other half got approached a few times in a bar when l when l popped to the loo!!

Enjoy your trip!

Heather
You were in the Orchard Tower weren't u?

I used to be approached by 'tourists' when I walked around there during the nite
Old Jan 22nd 2006, 9:59 am
semarang

Originally Posted by originalize
man didnt you try out the local delights like LAKSA or NASI LEMAK???
hungry now
Old Jan 22nd 2006, 12:42 pm
Just Joined

worldtraveller is a jewel in the roughworldtraveller is a jewel in the roughworldtraveller is a jewel in the roughworldtraveller is a jewel in the roughworldtraveller is a jewel in the rough
Talking Re: What must we see in Singapore..

Originally Posted by novita77
hungry now

LOL - think you are right - l found it extremely funny! I was the only western female in the place with a load of western men!! I kept going to the loo cos it was so funny to see look on other half's face when he was politely trying to say NO lm with my gf here!!
Old Jan 22nd 2006, 12:48 pm
Account Closed

TruBrit is an unknown quantity at this point

Many thanks

Julie

love sing,..so much life...raffles does a good curry hmm not the place for little ones maybe leave that, they do a good afternoon tea which would be more suitable for the children...easy to get around on the mrt...the place is alive..good late 'night' safari..sing not really a children's holiday resort well not for wee ones...maybe a trip to sentosa...sing so clean..have fun!