Weather in Singapore

Old Jul 3rd 2011, 8:17 am
Forum Regular

sue1964 is just really nicesue1964 is just really nicesue1964 is just really nicesue1964 is just really nicesue1964 is just really nicesue1964 is just really nicesue1964 is just really nicesue1964 is just really nicesue1964 is just really nice
Default Weather in Singapore

Whats the weather like beginning of August??
Old Jul 3rd 2011, 9:50 pm
Auntie Fa

Kooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Weather in Singapore

Hot and wet, just like every other month. I think I've talked about it on one of your other threads and certainly in the link in my signature.

It's on the equator but you could say it follows the northern hemisphere seasons, so August should be one of the even hotter months. It may not get as hot as parts of Oz, but the humidity is what gets to you. Dress to sweat.

From what I can gather from friends still there, climate change is having an effect and the rain is not as predictable as it was. Also flooding is becoming more common, but that could be due to human action. I think it was last year there were LV handbags floating down Orchard Road
Old Jul 4th 2011, 2:13 am

bakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond repute

As Seasider said.... it's hot. Sometimes dry, sometimes wet, but quite humid. I don't think people go to Singapore for the weather though, do they?

If it gets too hot for you, just head for the shopping malls. They're usually freezing.

The thing about the rain in Singapore, you get a fair few dramatic thunderstorms but usually they don't last so long. The only rains that seem to last 2 or 3 days seem to be during the north-east monsoon in December and maybe January, in our experience.

I used to like the sumatras in the south-west monsoon time, May/June (do they go on to August?). They come from Sumatra direction and you can see them coming, black as the night when they hit.

Have fun
Old Jul 4th 2011, 2:25 am
Auntie Fa

Kooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond repute

Spoken like a true sailor

Then there's the haze. Can't for the life of me remember when that's usually bad. bb?
Old Jul 4th 2011, 2:44 am

bakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond repute

I can't remember seeing the haze in Singapore. We were working 24/7 when we were there and travelling on business a lot so I guess we missed it somehow

I do know in Penang we didn't get any last year... and I've just experienced my first Haze here (that's June). I think basically if you get some downpours it clears it up... so, for Singapore, with frequent downpours, maybe you don't notice it so much? Penang doesn't seem to get so frequent downpours as Singapore.

I've been a bit sniffy and throaty here lately. I couldn't say for sure if it's due to haze as (a) we currently live near a quarry (dusty) and (b) currently getting some renovation works done (dusty - you bet), so it's difficult to say.

Haze not good though IMHO. What can we do about it? Can we get political? Shall we have a big moan on the new Indonesian forum? Could do with some threads on there anyway.
Old Jul 4th 2011, 2:49 am
Auntie Fa

Hell yes, it used to affect my allergies pretty badly. Scratchy eyes especially. I would think your side of Malaysia would suffer from it too.

Have you seen http://www.theburningseasonmovie.com/index.html ? Worth a watch.
Old Jul 5th 2011, 5:42 am

Thanks for that. I've bookmarked it and shall have a look later.