Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Far East and Asia > Singapore
Reload this Page >

Visa for same sex partner

Visa for same sex partner

Old Dec 19th 2012, 11:49 am
Just Joined

redoutelondon is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Visa for same sex partner

Hi all,

I am considering an offer to move to Singapore from the UK and currently the biggest question I have is around applying a visa for my partner.

We have civil partnership in the UK but that is not recognised in Singapore. I would appreciate if any of you have done this before or know of reliable source of information and can advise on the following:

1. Is this possible to apply for dependent or long term visit pass?

2. Should I come out to my employer in Singapore and ask for their advice on this matter?

Many thanks and really appreciate your time.
Old Dec 20th 2012, 3:27 am

bakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Visa for same sex partner

Hi and welcome to the forum.

I'm not in Singapore but used to live/work there. Singapore is an advanced country in so many ways but, unfortunately, rather backward in other ways. I think I'm correct in saying that they don't recognize Gays from an official stance, which isn't going to help you I know.

I would have thought option 2 would be the route to go but, on the other hand, if you come up against some ignorant old fart at the company, would that jeopardize your job offer?

Hoping that someone in Singapore might have an answer for you. Ex-Reg? Bocat? Any thoughts?

Last edited by bakedbean; Dec 20th 2012 at 3:28 am. Reason: forgot summink
Old Dec 20th 2012, 3:37 am
BE Forum Addict

ex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond repute

Difficult one, can't help really except to say wasn't there a thread about this before on the board?
Old Dec 20th 2012, 4:51 am

bakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond repute

Mmm I did a search on "sex" and came up with this one. Some good advice from Seasider on there. Might be worth reading. It's an old thread so now "closed" unfortunately.

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showt...&highlight=sex
Old Dec 20th 2012, 2:18 pm
Just Joined

redoutelondon is an unknown quantity at this point

Bakedbean and Ex reg,

Many thanks for getting back to me. I will try to contact Seasider to see if she/he can provide any further insights.

@Bakedbean - Nice job on the search. One never knows what one can get using the word!

If we dont msn before Xmas - Have a great Holiday!

RedouteLondon
Old Dec 21st 2012, 1:01 am

Same to you and yours - have a great Christmas and best of luck with your plans