Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Far East and Asia > Singapore
Reload this Page >

sports bars and work in finance sector

sports bars and work in finance sector

Old Jan 22nd 2012, 1:05 pm
Just Joined

limeydf is an unknown quantity at this point
Default sports bars and work in finance sector

Hello I have just joined the sight as I will be travelling to Singapore in 2 weeks to explore work opportunities in the financial sector - my background is in banking and trading. Any feedback about potential hurdles getting employed in that sector would be greatly appreciated. Also while I am in Singapore I would like to try and meet some fellow British citizens to see how they enjoy living in Singapore - the pro's and con's. With this in mind is there any football bars that people tend to go to so I can kill two birds with one stone - watch football and talk about sinagpore in a social setting. Any feedback would be greatly appreciated
Old Jan 22nd 2012, 2:02 pm
BE Forum Addict

ex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: sports bars and work in finance sector

Dunno about football bars as I follow rugby but think there will be a few along Boat Quay.

IMO a trip out here looking for an opportunity would be wasted unless you've got contacts and interviews lined up before hand.

I expect financial sector might well be the same here as in UK. Difficult.
Unless you have something specifically good to offer or your current company transfers you here then it might be tough.

Anyway, good luck.
Old Jan 24th 2012, 5:03 am
Forum Regular

ianinmalaysia has a brilliant futureianinmalaysia has a brilliant futureianinmalaysia has a brilliant futureianinmalaysia has a brilliant futureianinmalaysia has a brilliant futureianinmalaysia has a brilliant futureianinmalaysia has a brilliant future

All the bars in Sing show BPL it s the single biggest thing watched in SE Asia!!

Try any of the Harry's bars...theres loads!! or Clarke Quay, Boat Quay especially Boat Quay around 6pm on Fridays as its jam packed with banking types! Take wads of cash though as its super expensive once happy hour has finished.
All the Bars in Orchard towers have footy and also finacially minded clientel .......some great beer deals in there but not many bankers...well not many admiting there bankers anyway?

Enjoy sing, its great
Old Jan 30th 2012, 11:35 am
Just Joined

HayleyPaling is an unknown quantity at this point

According to analysts, employers will slow down their hiring process in the incoming year, especially in the first quarter. However, this is also balanced by the consistent salary increases across all industries, such as among finance jobs and marketing jobs.

Re pubs: The Yard London Pub is the oldest London Pub In Singapore. cheers!
Old Jan 30th 2012, 12:01 pm
BE Forum Addict

ex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by HayleyPaling
According to analysts, employers will slow down their hiring process in the incoming year, especially in the first quarter. However, this is also balanced by the consistent salary increases across all industries, such as among finance jobs and marketing jobs.

Re pubs: The Yard London Pub is the oldest London Pub In Singapore. cheers!
And bloody freezing inside.
Well it was the last time I was in there, maybe 10 years ago.

My favourite used to be the 'Wagon Wheel', until Mr Wong died in there.
Old Jan 30th 2012, 8:01 pm
Auntie Fa

Kooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond repute

A lot of the supporters clubs have their own "locals".

You'll definitely find lots of bankers down Boat Quay.

Several of my financial sector friends have reluctantly returned to the UK after living off their savings for too long in Singapore, and they're long-term expats, so agree with ex reg's views on your chances.