Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Far East and Asia > Singapore
Reload this Page >

Singapore work permit for girlfriend

Singapore work permit for girlfriend

Old Oct 17th 2009, 3:42 am
Forum Regular

Thinkingaboutit is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Singapore work permit for girlfriend

Hi

My girlfriend and I are currently living in Dubai. I am a Management Consultant and she is a Legal Secretary. I am British and she is Australian.

I am currently evaluating a couple of job opportunities in Singapore but am not sure if she is going to be able to get a work permit or job.

Does anyone know if an Australian Legal Secretary without a university degree is going to be able to get a job in Singapore?

Any advice would be much appreciated.

Thanks
Old Oct 17th 2009, 2:18 pm
Forum Regular

lumines has a spectacular aura aboutlumines has a spectacular aura aboutlumines has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: Singapore work permit for girlfriend

I don't know too much about this, but I can tell you that first of all, it will be more difficult for you to come to Singapore as a couple if you aren't married. I don't think it's impossible, just more difficult.

Then assuming you do manage to get here as a couple, your girlfriend will be on a Dependant's Pass. It is notoriously difficult (but again not impossible) to get a job on a DP. And assuming a Legal Secretary is an admin type role (apologies if it isn't!) the salary will be low, as most admin jobs are here.

If she doesn't have a degree, I think she will have difficulty in obtaining an Employment Pass in her own right.

I think the other alternative is for her to come on a Long Term Social Visitor's Pass - but she certainly wouldn't be able to work with that type of Visa.

I probably haven't been much help, but there is a forum called expatsingapore.com and you might get more answers on there.

Good luck anyway
Old Oct 17th 2009, 5:12 pm

Englishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond repute
Exclamation Re: Singapore work permit for girlfriend

Originally Posted by lumines
I don't know too much about this, but I can tell you that first of all, it will be more difficult for you to come to Singapore as a couple if you aren't married. I don't think it's impossible, just more difficult.

Then assuming you do manage to get here as a couple, your girlfriend will be on a Dependant's Pass. It is notoriously difficult (but again not impossible) to get a job on a DP. And assuming a Legal Secretary is an admin type role (apologies if it isn't!) the salary will be low, as most admin jobs are here.

If she doesn't have a degree, I think she will have difficulty in obtaining an Employment Pass in her own right.

I think the other alternative is for her to come on a Long Term Social Visitor's Pass - but she certainly wouldn't be able to work with that type of Visa.

I probably haven't been much help, but there is a forum called expatsingapore.com and you might get more answers on there.

Good luck anyway

I agree with your comments.....but to get an LTSV you will need to prove that you have been living together as a couple in the same manner as if you are already married - doubtful if you're currently resident in Dubai! (Normally to get the LTSV pass you have to provide proof eg. mortgage or rent payments with the same name and address, utility bills, joint bank account etc.)

Also the Ministry of Manpower would expect to see a letter from either the British or Australian High Commission stating that you are in a de facto relationship where you are recognised as if you are a married couple (this may have changed recently, so best to check with the MoM).
Old Oct 18th 2009, 1:34 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Inselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Singapore work permit for girlfriend

good experienced legal secretaries are always in demand by law firms but it is doubtful whether she would be able to get an Employment pass without a degree.

I moved here from Dubai 1 year ago and married my girlfriend before we moved. wouldnt have married just because of the move though