Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Far East and Asia > Singapore
Reload this Page >

Singapore - Where to live?

Singapore - Where to live?

Old Jun 28th 2008, 6:49 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Inselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond repute
Default Singapore - Where to live?

Probably going to be moving to Singapore in a few months.

Any recommendations on where to live. Budget will be S$3000-4000
1 or 2 bed Condo.

I will be working in the CBD and would want somewhere in an area where my girlfriend would have plenty to do until she finds a job.

Thanks in advance.
Old Jun 29th 2008, 12:19 am
Auntie Fa

Kooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Singapore - Where to live?

Hi, I left Singapore a couple of months ago after 6 years. It's such a small place with good transport that you have tons of choice on places to live.

The CBD itself doesn't have many condos, and they will be expensive. I'm out of touch with prices but you could look at Emerald Gardens on Club St - quite nice small complex in a great location for nightlife, although there is currently a lot of roadwork going on round there. You're never far away from construction in Singapore though so don't let that put you off!

You could look at River Place, although that might be out of budget. Robertson Quay, River Valley Road, that way on, might be good.

Holland Road - currently a mess because they're building the new MRT (rail, due to be finished 2010 IIRC) but that area has some nice smaller condos. Bukit Timah too. Holland Village is not all it's claimed to be (boho? don't make me laugh) but does have a few shops, restaurants, spas, etc. Good bus links to the city or to the MRT.

You get more for your money at the East Coast although this is changing as people move out there from Holland/Bt Timah as rents go through the roof. Downside is most of it is nowhere near an MRT as it's reclaimed land, but your girlfriend can go for lovely walks along the coast. Some of the complexes put on private shuttle buses or the Busplus service to the CBD.

If you fancy life on the edge, you can get a good deal on condos in Geylang. We lived in an old shophouse there for 4 years after 2 years in a condo on Holland Road and we loved it - tons of food, good transport links, and lots of local colour. Good value area as not many expats are brave enough. The Waterina at the junction of Lorong 40/Guillemard Road always looked nice to me, although never been inside. It's on the edge of Geylang so you wouldn't experience too many hookers and gangsters. Close to Paya Lebar MRT too.

You could move a bit further up the train line to Kembangan, or keep going up it towards Bedok.

All these terms I'm using will make some sense if you take a look at this site - it's the best Singapore site for property info including photos of many of the complexes.

www.singaporeexpats.com

It also has a forum attached to it although IMHO not a great one. I can recommend others if you want them.

edit: Just realised we chatted a couple of weeks ago and you have them already. Hello - so it's really happening then?

Last edited by Kooky.; Jun 29th 2008 at 12:23 am.
Old Jun 29th 2008, 5:40 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Inselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Seasider
Hi, I left Singapore a couple of months ago after 6 years. It's such a small place with good transport that you have tons of choice on places to live.

The CBD itself doesn't have many condos, and they will be expensive. I'm out of touch with prices but you could look at Emerald Gardens on Club St - quite nice small complex in a great location for nightlife, although there is currently a lot of roadwork going on round there. You're never far away from construction in Singapore though so don't let that put you off!

You could look at River Place, although that might be out of budget. Robertson Quay, River Valley Road, that way on, might be good.

Holland Road - currently a mess because they're building the new MRT (rail, due to be finished 2010 IIRC) but that area has some nice smaller condos. Bukit Timah too. Holland Village is not all it's claimed to be (boho? don't make me laugh) but does have a few shops, restaurants, spas, etc. Good bus links to the city or to the MRT.

You get more for your money at the East Coast although this is changing as people move out there from Holland/Bt Timah as rents go through the roof. Downside is most of it is nowhere near an MRT as it's reclaimed land, but your girlfriend can go for lovely walks along the coast. Some of the complexes put on private shuttle buses or the Busplus service to the CBD.

If you fancy life on the edge, you can get a good deal on condos in Geylang. We lived in an old shophouse there for 4 years after 2 years in a condo on Holland Road and we loved it - tons of food, good transport links, and lots of local colour. Good value area as not many expats are brave enough. The Waterina at the junction of Lorong 40/Guillemard Road always looked nice to me, although never been inside. It's on the edge of Geylang so you wouldn't experience too many hookers and gangsters. Close to Paya Lebar MRT too.

You could move a bit further up the train line to Kembangan, or keep going up it towards Bedok.

All these terms I'm using will make some sense if you take a look at this site - it's the best Singapore site for property info including photos of many of the complexes.

www.singaporeexpats.com

It also has a forum attached to it although IMHO not a great one. I can recommend others if you want them.

edit: Just realised we chatted a couple of weeks ago and you have them already. Hello - so it's really happening then?

Hi thanks for taking the time to give such a detailed response
Yeh it looks like its happening. Just need to sort out a couple of items on the draft contract.

After 1 year in Dubai I'm sure the amount of construction in Sinapore won't be a problem.
Old Jun 29th 2008, 6:23 am
BE Enthusiast

Trevglas has a brilliant futureTrevglas has a brilliant futureTrevglas has a brilliant futureTrevglas has a brilliant futureTrevglas has a brilliant futureTrevglas has a brilliant future

Thought of a house (a.k.a landed property) rather than a condo? We just moved out of a three storey 5 bedroomed house in Kembangan. Rent was cheaper than a 3 bedroomed condo along the east coast, but you dont get the condo "scene" (or pool/gym) plus you may find you meet less expats
Old Jun 29th 2008, 9:11 am
Auntie Fa

Kooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Trevglas
...plus you may find you meet less expats
which can be a good thing
Old Jun 29th 2008, 12:23 pm
BE Enthusiast

Trevglas has a brilliant futureTrevglas has a brilliant futureTrevglas has a brilliant futureTrevglas has a brilliant futureTrevglas has a brilliant futureTrevglas has a brilliant future

which can be a good thing
Too true!

You are either into the Singapore expat scene, or you avoid it!
Old Jun 29th 2008, 5:52 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

well I think the expat community will be important to my girlfriend settling in to Singapore life. So a Condo will be our choice.
Old Jun 29th 2008, 10:32 pm
Auntie Fa

Ah, we're only poking fun at the expat community and not forgetting we are/were part of it. I know you're not new to the expat game but I will still say, get on a few forums, go along to anything and everything and you'll soon work out a social circle. (One of our first outings in Sg was to a 30th birthday BBQ; we'd never met the guy. 6 years on he's still a good friend!)

IIRC, your girlfriend will be in a minority and have to work harder than most to find her own countryfolk, so look for "associations" and chambers of commerce as well as physical "clubs". The embassy may be able to help.

I know this is as at 2002 but might be useful:

http://www.expatsingapore.com/content/view/1151
Old Jul 1st 2008, 8:59 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Ah, we're only poking fun at the expat community and not forgetting we are/were part of it. I know you're not new to the expat game but I will still say, get on a few forums, go along to anything and everything and you'll soon work out a social circle. (One of our first outings in Sg was to a 30th birthday BBQ; we'd never met the guy. 6 years on he's still a good friend!)

IIRC, your girlfriend will be in a minority and have to work harder than most to find her own countryfolk, so look for "associations" and chambers of commerce as well as physical "clubs". The embassy may be able to help.

I know this is as at 2002 but might be useful:

http://www.expatsingapore.com/content/view/1151
Thanks.
I may end up joining th Cricket Club or Rec Club any way to play a bit of Veterans Hockey. So that should help.

looking forward to the move
Old Jul 2nd 2008, 11:07 pm
Just Joined

baiyun is an unknown quantity at this point

Cheapest you will find is on www.gumtree.com click bottom page for singapore.
Good Luck!

Originally Posted by Inselaffen
Probably going to be moving to Singapore in a few months.

Any recommendations on where to live. Budget will be S$3000-4000
1 or 2 bed Condo.

I will be working in the CBD and would want somewhere in an area where my girlfriend would have plenty to do until she finds a job.

Thanks in advance.
Old Aug 14th 2008, 11:57 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

well thats my EP sorted out now (P1). Just need to sort out the DP for my new wife and we are all set to move at the end of Sept
Old Aug 15th 2008, 12:21 am
Auntie Fa

Cool.

Let me know if you'll be there by 21 Sep and fancy meeting a few people at a Sunday Brunch - we're passing through that weekend and plans are afoot.

edit: Um, you said "new wife". Congratulations!
Old Aug 15th 2008, 9:37 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Cool.

Let me know if you'll be there by 21 Sep and fancy meeting a few people at a Sunday Brunch - we're passing through that weekend and plans are afoot.

edit: Um, you said "new wife". Congratulations!
thanks. got married on 8th August in Sri Lanka
unfortunately won't be there by 21st. we will arrive on 28th morning. (just in time for the F1 GP)
Old Aug 15th 2008, 1:17 pm
Auntie Fa

If you're going into a hotel initially I do hope you have it booked.
Old Aug 16th 2008, 8:14 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

If you're going into a hotel initially I do hope you have it booked.
company have sorted it all out!