British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Singapore (https://britishexpats.com/forum/singapore-131/)
-   -   Singapore - the pros and cons of life there (https://britishexpats.com/forum/singapore-131/singapore-pros-cons-life-there-543551/)

Slingshot Jun 23rd 2008 5:37 pm

Re: Singapore - the pros and cons of life there

Originally Posted by Dandy (Post 6478926)
My observations as a regular visitor who has never lived there. Just to state my bias up front, I live in Tokyo. Singapore is... Clean and well presented, and not just when compared to other Asian cities such as Taipei or Seoul. The bits a visitor like myself gets to see are efficient. Very easy for monoglot ex-pats to live in, as everybody speaks some degree of English and like HK everybody seems to have a maid. Cars and rent expensive. On the other hand it's tiny - a city state rather than a country. However good the connections are international travel is onerous compared to being able to hop on a domestic plane or train. If you come from a temperate climate you may miss having real seasons - always hot and humid in Sing. Size means it could rapidly become socially claustrophobic. I feel it lacks buzz, pizazz. Probably very comfortable to live for a year or so especially as a family but ultimately boring and a bit restrictive is my reading of it; many of my friends or colleagues who have lived there would agree.

HOWEVER the fact that you can communicate is huge: I know people who lived in Tokyo and never felt settled because they didn't speak adequate Japanese. They went to Singapore and love the fact that they can operate at something like 100% social capacity instead of being restricted by linguistic problems. So that's something to really think about carefully.

In summary, if you've never worked in Asia before Singapore is the gentlest introduction you can get and its faults are unlikely to concern most ex-pats.

Thank you too - a lot of great stuff in here

djoerk Jun 24th 2008 7:33 am

Originally Posted by Seasider (Post 6476746)
......and you're in the ME, so used to heat. It's not as hot in Sg (usually around 30C) but the humidity is a bugger. Be prepared to sweat.

....and if you have curly hair forget trying to keep it straight and using your irons\straighteners! :rofl:

Your Posts are always great, Seasider :thumbsup:

Kooky. Jun 24th 2008 7:55 am

Cheers Djoerk, I'm pretty good at talking cock, eh? :D

djoerk Jun 24th 2008 8:54 am

Originally Posted by Seasider (Post 6497760)
Cheers Djoerk, I'm pretty good at talking cock, eh? :D

...As a friend of mine once said (no doubt when I was gurning on) "Why talk sense, when you can talk Nonsense".

I think the ex-Pats in S'pore will miss you.

Slingshot Jul 14th 2008 7:25 pm

a quick note to thank you all for your advice on life in Singapore - it was very useful in making a decision. unfortunately I never got to travel there as the meetings were moved to Dubai. for now I am staying put in Dubai having just been made an offer I can't refuse.
thanks again :)