Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Far East and Asia > Singapore
Reload this Page >

Singapore Nanny / maid Salary Guide

Singapore Nanny / maid Salary Guide

Old Jul 14th 2008, 9:15 am
Forum Regular

MCA27 will become famous soon enoughMCA27 will become famous soon enough
Default Singapore Nanny / maid Salary Guide

Hello

We are thinking of moving to Singapore but have 3 children under the age of 1 year.

We would need a full time nanny / maid (to help with children and house work). Could someone pls guide us to the monthly cost of a full time nanny / maid.

Also, would we go via an agency or other means to find someone. And which nationality are nannies / miads typically in Singapore?

many thanks for your help..

MCA27
Old Jul 14th 2008, 11:22 am
BE Forum Addict

ex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Singapore Nanny / maid Salary Guide

Go through an agency.
But there are so many it's difficult to say which is best.
Perhaps the largest we would give a miss to but most who had a few maids will have had a bad experience.
It really can be pot luck.
Just because a friend is moving and says their maid is great doesn't necessarily mean that maid will be fine for you.

You can specify a maid who is good with kids but they all say that in their resume.

Make sure you have an in depth interview with both the agency and then the maid and if for any reason you feel put off then try someone else or go somehwere else.

The maid will be looking after your kids, at times when you aren't there, so be careful.

Maids are available from Singapore, Indonesia, Philippines, India, Bangladesh,
Sri Lanka etc.
There are also agencies which can provide Christian maids.
Some maids will not cook or eat pork.

All maids will say they have experience at cleaning, laundry, ironing cooking, looking after children, looking after old folks etc etc. In fact you will have to show them how you like things done, unless the maid has worked for many years as a maid. Problem in that case is that they will know all the tricks and dodges.

Hiring a maid is a minefield, but work at who you choose and you have a chance of success.
Don't believe all the agency tells you.

I expect others on here will give more advice and some will conflict with mine

Pick and choose which to accept as you like.

We've had 6 maids over the years.
Only one we got rid of before the end of the two year contract but another two we decided to bear it as the maids weren't too bad and at least you could tell they were trying their best.

Don't forget if you 'boot them' before their 6 months trial period is over then they are your responsibilty until they get another employer and if they are sent home before maybe 9 months then they will have lost money as they haven't repaid their agency fees.

It's a give and take arrangement and there are many decisions to be made on how you 'treat' your maid.

It's not easy as a maid will live with you and not like other foreign workers live in outside accommodation.

Anyway best of luck.

BTW there are iirc a few sites where you can discuss employment of maids and how they work, days off etc in detail. Just google.

To answer your title question salary can be anything from S$300 to S$800 par month.

Some ex pats will pay more just because they wish to.
We don't do that. A contract is a contract. If at the end of a contract we have been impressed by the maid then we will give a bonus to her.
Three of our ex maids still keep in touch with us even though they have either returned home or ar working outside Singapore.
Old Jul 14th 2008, 6:13 pm
Forum Regular

thats really great advice, thank you very much. Will definitely take your comments into consideration...

Thanks again,

MCA27
Old Jul 14th 2008, 11:30 pm
Auntie Fa

Kooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond repute

Decided to steer clear of this one as I never had a live-in (didn't need one, didn't want one) but do remember that the salary is just part of the cost. There is also the maid levy (ex-reg, how much is it? S$350?) and the cost of providing a room, bed, etc., for your maid. Also be clear if you pay for their food, toiletries, and other living expenses or they do.

You can get a live-in maid very cheaply, but that doesn't mean you should. Please pay them a fair wage.

Also remember that you are getting a maid, not a child-care expert.
Old Jul 15th 2008, 2:48 am
Just Joined

marsy is an unknown quantity at this point

Its not really hard to find a nanny. Finding a nanny or maids requires connection to the person you want to employ. And on her first day you should let the maid feel at home and the best to communicate to a maid is to show her your trust and confidence that she can do a good work in your home and look after your kids. treat your maid just like your friends. Most singaporean treat their maid like a garbage. And thats sad to see. They thought all maids had no right to be happy and live a normal life while working as a maid... Maids job is a good job. Maids is not a bad job.. So treat them like others. Most employers also dont give food to their maids or maids food is different like their food... Its like your letting a dog live in your house against your well because you had no choice. But maid are human being. They needs respect too. They need time to settle down in a new environment. And mostly maids needs their salary fairly. The MOM should reduce maids levy or increase maids salary, just like people working in companies..
Old Jul 15th 2008, 2:50 am
Just Joined

I know a maid who could take care children, but cooking she can only cook chinese food because she worked in a chinese family for 4 years. But on taking care children she can do it and she is honest and trsutworthy. All you need to give is time to settle down in your place and trust. If your interested let me know..
Old Jul 15th 2008, 7:34 am
Forum Regular

thanks. obviously we do intend to treat a maid with respect :-)
Old Jul 15th 2008, 7:39 am
Just Joined

Nice to hear that. I know that theres employer who's not bad after all....same as maid..theres bad maids but theres good one too.
Old Jul 18th 2008, 3:54 am
Just Joined

Hello Did you find a Nanny/ Maid already? I can help you ..

Originally Posted by MCA27
thats really great advice, thank you very much. Will definitely take your comments into consideration...

Thanks again,

MCA27
Old Jul 18th 2008, 4:10 am
Auntie Fa

Kooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond repute

marsy, I don't know if you're a maid yourself or an agent, and I'm sure you are well-meaning, but I would hope MCA27 is way too cautious to employ somebody in this manner.
Old Jul 18th 2008, 4:14 am
Just Joined

hmmmm!your too judging.. im just being helpful..anyway thanks...im an expat fyi

Originally Posted by Seasider
marsy, I don't know if you're a maid yourself or an agent, and I'm sure you are well-meaning, but I would hope MCA27 is way too cautious to employ somebody in this manner.
Old Jul 19th 2008, 8:20 pm
Forum Regular

Hi

I have not started looking yet as the timetabel for my move is not confirmed yet....but in planning, I wanted to know costs and what kind of help we can expect and how easy it would be to find someone....