British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Singapore (https://britishexpats.com/forum/singapore-131/)
-   -   Singapore equivalent of ~£80k salary? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/singapore-131/singapore-equivalent-%7E%C2%A380k-salary-920108/)

Issun Dec 11th 2018 6:35 pm

Singapore equivalent of ~£80k salary?

Hi all,

I currently work in London in a tech company and I'm considering moving to Singapore in the near future (partially because I can't stand this Brexit nonsense anymore- but the place always fascinated me regardless).

However, I have no idea about the cost of living compared to London, would anyone know approximately what the equivalent of a £75/85k gross salary would be in Singapore dollars, considering living costs? I don't really care about having a car nor I expect to be using one in Singapore, so my expenses would mostly include housing, food and going out.

Thanks!

BritInParis Dec 11th 2018 10:54 pm

Re: Singapore equivalent of ~£80k salary?

This should get you started:

https://www.numbeo.com/cost-of-livin...ity2=Singapore

Are you a British citizen?

ex reg Dec 12th 2018 12:13 am

Originally Posted by Issun (Post 12607485)
Hi all,

I currently work in London in a tech company and I'm considering moving to Singapore in the near future (partially because I can't stand this Brexit nonsense anymore- but the place always fascinated me regardless).

However, I have no idea about the cost of living compared to London, would anyone know approximately what the equivalent of a £75/85k gross salary would be in Singapore dollars, considering living costs? I don't really care about having a car nor I expect to be using one in Singapore, so my expenses would mostly include housing, food and going out.

Thanks!

Are you jumping the gun or do you already have a job offer.

If your London salary is only 85k maybe you haven't the quals and experience to jump into the job market here, unless you have something specific which locals can't offer..
Sorry to be blunt.

If you are transferring within your company then you won't have much room for manoeuver salary-wise.

Make sure cost of accommodation is included in your package. It can vary massively.

Wine beer and spirits are expensive here.
Eating out is expensive unless you eat at coffee shops or hawker centers and there's nothing wrong with that. If you like cooking yourself then I'd say food is 20% more expensive here.

Although this site isn't very active nowadays maybe you'll get more ideas from other posters.

When we sold our condo to a Regional Director for a big bank a few years ago who was transferring from London he was gobsmacked at the cost of accommodation here, as he was at the cost of living compared to London.

Mlee888 Jan 16th 2019 6:17 am

Depends on your current lifestyle.

Do you live alone?

Do you go out often?

How much savings do you currently manage each months?

Straight conversion -

£80k in SGD is around $135k-$140k. Your current job in SG might pay less than this though.

Before tax -

UK - £6.5k
SG - $11k

In SG -

Tax roughly 10% (need set aside as not deducted from salary)
Rental - 1 bed apartment outside city centre near outskirts around $2k-$2.5k. Central will be much more. For apartments near Marina Bay etc can cost $4k-6k, check propertyguru Singapore.
Spending luxuriously - $2k a month is enough for 1 person. Good meals and drinks.
Electric bills won’t be high.

Kooky. Jan 16th 2019 7:12 am

We're looking at a potential move at the moment - not to Singapore (been there, done that for six years) but possibly onto our fourth continent - and I have to say I have found numbeo comparisons to be useless, very misleading.

What level and discipline of tech are you in? And as ex reg asked, do you have a job offer or is this just an ambition? I understand EPs are not as easy to come by as they used to be.

Thairetired2016 Jan 17th 2019 11:28 pm

Originally Posted by Mlee888 (Post 12622320)
Depends on your current lifestyle.

Do you live alone?

Do you go out often?

How much savings do you currently manage each months?

Straight conversion -

£80k in SGD is around $135k-$140k. Your current job in SG might pay less than this though.

Before tax -

UK - £6.5k
SG - $11k

In SG -

Tax roughly 10% (need set aside as not deducted from salary)
Rental - 1 bed apartment outside city centre near outskirts around $2k-$2.5k. Central will be much more. For apartments near Marina Bay etc can cost $4k-6k, check propertyguru Singapore.
Spending luxuriously - $2k a month is enough for 1 person. Good meals and drinks.
Electric bills won’t be high.

Also I don't live in Singapore I'm a very frequent visitor.
"spending luxuriously...."
I don't see how this can be done on 2000K. Even for one person.

Mlee888 Jan 18th 2019 5:51 am

Originally Posted by Thairetired2016 (Post 12623371)
Also I don't live in Singapore I'm a very frequent visitor.
"spending luxuriously...."
I don't see how this can be done on 2000K. Even for one person.

Spending around £300 each weekend on meals and drinks not enough? Subjective of course as everyone is different.

Thairetired2016 Jan 18th 2019 8:05 pm

Originally Posted by Mlee888 (Post 12623431)

Spending around £300 each weekend on meals and drinks not enough? Subjective of course as everyone is different.

i assume the person doesn't just eat on weekends.

Mlee888 Jan 18th 2019 9:57 pm

Originally Posted by Thairetired2016 (Post 12623790)
i assume the person doesn't just eat on weekends.

And I can’t assume what they will or won’t be spending mid-week. What I can assume is that $500 is luxurious enough for anyone to spend each weekend.

anuny Jan 26th 2019 1:23 pm

We (My old company) had three apartments that we used to send folks here for less than a year assignment. S$2200/S$4200/S$5000 per month was deducted from the pay stub. People who had mortgages in US, we covered their existing mortgage payments for the duration. Many companies I know, tend to increase the compensation package and let the employee find their own accommodation. Our internal studies indicated that this was not an optimal strategy.

The high-end apartment was actually for a family, while the smallest was a one bedroom 600 sf apartment. Up to S$300/mnt was added for transportation. Since most folks did not bring their family for a short duration of less than a year; we had a extras compensation negotiated in advance as a % of the current salary.

In 2016, I spent two months in Singapore; I was put up in a service apartment. My food and drinks bill was S$400~ per week. I took the MRT where ever I went; which is nearly everywhere. The complex had a self-service washing+drying machines which was s3. per load. My only extra compensation was a second Corporate Card issued by the local Office of the Company. This should give someone a sense of the expenses.