Singapore Computer Shop

Old Feb 5th 2007, 11:50 am
Look, the bar's open

china syndrome has much to be proud ofchina syndrome has much to be proud ofchina syndrome has much to be proud ofchina syndrome has much to be proud ofchina syndrome has much to be proud ofchina syndrome has much to be proud ofchina syndrome has much to be proud ofchina syndrome has much to be proud ofchina syndrome has much to be proud ofchina syndrome has much to be proud ofchina syndrome has much to be proud of
Default Singapore Computer Shop

Can anybody advise me.

I am coming to Singapore in April for a few days and I want to buy a computer. I live in Qatar, and can not get the latest technology here.

I only want the 'Brain' bit', I can get screen, keyboard etc here in Qatar.

I prefer to buy a branded off the shelf product rather than have one put together as they might in Sim Lim Square.

So I am looking for a computer shop I guess. In UK I would probably go to PC World.

Is there such a place in Singapore? If not any advice welcome.
I know my way around Singapore a bit, been there several times.

Also, if anybody has some idea of what I can get for my money I would appreciate that. I expect I can claim the GST back at the airport.
Old Feb 6th 2007, 2:13 am
BE Forum Addict

ex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Singapore Computer Shop

Funan Centre in North Bridge Rd.
Plenty of computer shops and at least two big ones with everything you want.

You could also try Harvey Norman, small outlet in Funan as well.
Best Denki everywhere in all the malls along with HN and even Courts although they only have a few outlets now.

Giant sell computers as well as do Carre Four.

Myself I reckon you'd get the best value in Funan centre, which is fixed price.
Old Feb 6th 2007, 2:18 am
Look, the bar's open

china syndrome has much to be proud ofchina syndrome has much to be proud ofchina syndrome has much to be proud ofchina syndrome has much to be proud ofchina syndrome has much to be proud ofchina syndrome has much to be proud ofchina syndrome has much to be proud ofchina syndrome has much to be proud ofchina syndrome has much to be proud ofchina syndrome has much to be proud ofchina syndrome has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by ex reg
Funan Centre in North Bridge Rd.
Plenty of computer shops and at least two big ones with everything you want.

You could also try Harvey Norman, small outlet in Funan as well.
Best Denki everywhere in all the malls along with HN and even Courts although they only have a few outlets now.

Giant sell computers as well as do Carre Four.

Myself I reckon you'd get the best value in Funan centre, which is fixed price.
Thanks ex reg, the Funan Centre sounds good to me. Am I right that it is just near City Hall MRT?
Old Feb 6th 2007, 4:25 am
BE Forum Addict

ex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond repute

Five minute walk.
Old Feb 9th 2007, 9:30 am
Auntie Fa

Kooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond repute

Don't assume it's all fixed price in Funan. Be prepared to play one store off against another and, at the very least, negotiate some extras.

If you tell me (total Luddite) what you are after, I can ask my husband (IT geek - professionally as well as personally) for some ballpark figures.

Last edited by Kooky.; Feb 9th 2007 at 9:31 am. Reason: I still haven't got the hang of Quick Reply - why does it insist on quoting?
Old Feb 9th 2007, 2:36 pm
Look, the bar's open

Originally Posted by Seasider
Don't assume it's all fixed price in Funan. Be prepared to play one store off against another and, at the very least, negotiate some extras.

If you tell me (total Luddite) what you are after, I can ask my husband (IT geek - professionally as well as personally) for some ballpark figures.
Well, join the club Seasider, I have asked advice in the 'lab' and needed to ask for an interpretation before I even begin to understand what is being said, having said that, they are still a helpful bunch in there.

Thanks for your offer, it would give me some idea what I am expected to pay.

Basically, my last computer I bought 5 yrs ago, I got the best most advanced I could afford, just for the reason it would not become outdated too soon. It has served well, one or two upgrades, I think 5yrs is good.

So now I want to do the same, as top spec as I can afford to last as long as possible.

So, as a minimum I am looking at (in plain English):

400GB HD
3.4ghz
Graphics 256MB
2gb Ram (ddR3)
Quad core (I have been advised AMD)

Space to up grade i.e. 2nd hard drive.

I know the above is a bit basic, but a starter for 10.

I am sure your hubby will have his expert input to contribute, so a quick run down of what our computer is expected to do.

For a start NO major gaming.

We use the internet a lot as a communication tool seeing that we are expats out here.
My wife is into amatuer photography and is venturing into videos and associated editing of them.

And that is about it.

Thanks again for your help.
Old Feb 18th 2007, 1:14 am
Auntie Fa

Kooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond repute

Just wanted to let you know we haven't forgotten - Mr Seasider is planning a trip to Funan this week so will do a recce for you.
Old Feb 19th 2007, 11:26 am
Look, the bar's open

Originally Posted by Seasider
Just wanted to let you know we haven't forgotten - Mr Seasider is planning a trip to Funan this week so will do a recce for you.
Thanks a lot, look forward to your feedback
Old Mar 4th 2007, 5:49 am
Auntie Fa

Ok here you go, hope this makes sense as I'm just pasting it in!

The following is collated from the brochures I got last week at Funan / Sim Lim.

I'm assuming he's looking at just the base unit and not the accessories, i.e. Keyboard, Mouse, and most importantly screen
(Could get some very decent screens / deals at the moment. If last machine is 5 years old, screen might need updating)

Some prebuilt example first:

Acer - Aspire E560, Core 2 Duo, 2.13 GHz, 1GB Ram, 320 GB HDD, ATI Radeon X1550 512 MB, 19" LCD Monitor, Windows XP Media Centre : S$1999
Dell (Online)- Dimension 9200, Core 2 Duo, 2.66Ghz, 2GB Ram, 500 GB HDD, nVidia GeForce 7900 256 MB, 20" LCD Monitor, Windows Vista Business : S$3628
HP -

Parts based on some of the information below

There is a wide range of parts / prices available, which we scan and forward, but bottom line I guess if you just want the tower unit would be to go a reliable shop in Sim Lim, with the specifications and get them to build you something suitable.

A couple of recommended places at Sim Lim are
Bell Systems http://sls.vr-zone.com/bell.php
Chamoxa http://sls.vr-zone.com/chamoxa.php
Fuwell International http://sls.vr-zone.com/fuwell.php
There are also links to some of the others there, but the best would be recommendations, and the first 2 both come recommended.
Old Mar 11th 2007, 9:57 am
Look, the bar's open

Thank you Seasider for that information, I will print it out and take it with me.

Much appreciated,
Old Apr 12th 2007, 4:28 am
Just Joined

protonman is an unknown quantity at this point
Lightbulb Re: Singapore Computer Shop

Buying a tablet - help please!

Hi guys

I'm planning to buy a tablet laptop (one that is convertible between normal laptop mode, and into tablet pc mode), but I'm not sure where to get one from for the best value

If you guys could give me some advice , it would be greatly appreciated.

I'm looking for a tablet that has these specs as a minimum

a dual core processor
100 GB hard drive
1 GB ram
at least 12.1" screen

Any help appreciated

Thanks in advance
Old May 8th 2007, 2:42 pm
Just Joined

shehan is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by protonman
Buying a tablet - help please!

Hi guys

I'm planning to buy a tablet laptop (one that is convertible between normal laptop mode, and into tablet pc mode), but I'm not sure where to get one from for the best value

If you guys could give me some advice , it would be greatly appreciated.

I'm looking for a tablet that has these specs as a minimum

a dual core processor
100 GB hard drive
1 GB ram
at least 12.1" screen

Any help appreciated

Thanks in advance
Hi. My name is shehan. Im From Sri Lanka. I have a craze for computer gaming. I need to upgrade to a new pci Express graphic card. at the moment im using GIGABYTE 6600GT 128MB. It's a good card but not enough for the games that come out now. So i was hoping to go for a Nvidia Geforce 8600gts. Can someone tell me the Price of this card in singapore ? THANKS ALOT.