British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Singapore (https://britishexpats.com/forum/singapore-131/)
-   -   Singapore (https://britishexpats.com/forum/singapore-131/singapore-880040/)

Wanderingstar Jul 7th 2016 12:02 pm

Singapore

HI All,
I'm looking at jobs in Singapore.
Are there many trails, walking routes access to nature etc that one can explore to get away from the City on the weekend ?

ex reg Jul 7th 2016 1:20 pm

Re: Singapore

Loads.
Many through the jungle which are hot and sweaty.
Others with a breeze blowing across them but out in the sun, so hot and sweaty.

I can't remember the names of them but you can almost walk from Tuas to Changi on a few.

Lots of nature reserves if you are a twitcher.

Wanderingstar Jul 7th 2016 2:04 pm

So plenty of opportunity to get into nature then ?
how about kayaking? are there kayaking opportunities ! how long would it take to travel to mainland Malaysia and visit trekking / beaches there ?

ex reg Jul 7th 2016 2:29 pm

Kayaking, yeah.
Why not google.

Crossing to Malaysia can take anything from 30 min to 7 hours, depending on time of year.

Wanderingstar Jul 7th 2016 3:38 pm

Google ? I'd much rather hear from someone who is on the ground and has experience living in Singapore.
so plenty of outdoor activity opportunities ?

bakedbean Jul 7th 2016 11:20 pm

I'm no longer in Singapore but visit occasionally and, yes, it has a surprising amount of greenery. Singapore is known as the Garden City for that reason.

You can certainly do plenty of walking. Don't know where you are heading from, so you may need to adjust to the humidity and heat.

Once you slip into Singapore life, you'll connect with others doing activities I'm sure.

Wanderingstar Jul 12th 2016 12:33 pm

So is it a cool place to live with plenty of outdoor activities and access to nature, hiking etc.
I don't want to spend my weekends in shopping malls and air conditioned land !

bakedbean Jul 13th 2016 6:42 am

If you mean "cool" as in "the place to be", I suppose so. It is certainly not cool with an ambient temperature of some 30 degrees C.

You can choose the outdoor lifestyle there for sure. Of course, subject to the monsoony periods.

HoD Aug 3rd 2016 4:59 am

There are decent number if hiking trails in the Bukit Timah nature reserve and around the various reservoirs in the central water catchment area, but Singapore is a city and it you hanker for wide open spaces and wilderness you will be in the wrong place. However there are more hiking opportunities in neighbouring countries. Mt Kinabalu in Sabah is great, and places like Mt Ophir/Ledang in Johor are closer. As for other outdoor activities, Singapore is warm (Ok hot) all year round, so there are always plenty of opportunities to run, cycle, swim, paddle etc