British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Singapore (https://britishexpats.com/forum/singapore-131/)
-   -   SIM cards - pay as you go (https://britishexpats.com/forum/singapore-131/sim-cards-pay-you-go-867837/)

bakedbean Nov 11th 2015 8:14 am

SIM cards - pay as you go

Can anyone give me the lowdown on pay as you go SIM cards? For phonecalls and text only.

I remember buying one on a long visit to Singapore, about 4 years ago. Think it was SingTel. What I do remember is that the expiry date doesn't last too long. Are there some that are better than others datewise?

ex reg Nov 11th 2015 12:19 pm

Re: SIM cards - pay as you go

Never had a mobile phone, nobody wants to phone me, and the missus seldom uses hers.

I do know that the M1 SIM card works in UK, Spain and Portugal but never in France.

Try googling????

Sorry that's the limit of my 'knowledge'.

BloodyBrilliance Nov 15th 2015 10:57 pm

Typically, a SIM remains active for up to four months idle. That means, it does not have any credits, or it has not been reloaded from that time. That applies to most of the prepaid SIM cards that I have used so far in my travels. Are you going to a specific country or region? Maybe if you can provide more specifics, that'd help us give you more concrete information.

InVinoVeritas Nov 15th 2015 11:36 pm

I would think it is for Singapore.

bakedbean Nov 16th 2015 5:27 am

Yes, that's why I posted it in the Singapore forum :nod: Are you in Singapore then, Bloodybrilliance ?

Mlee888 Nov 20th 2015 2:25 pm

Don't buy from airport counters unless it's the changi recommends counter. Singtel uses them as a reseller for their tourist sims which is $15 for 100GB data and some phone minutes for 5 days. If you can wait until you reach the city, go to the nearest Singtel shop and you will see your options are plenty.

The phone calls and text only will be about half that price. Take a look here.

Prepaid Cards | Singtel

InVinoVeritas Nov 20th 2015 10:49 pm

I think you meant 100MB.

hong_konger Nov 20th 2015 11:24 pm

Originally Posted by InVinoVeritas (Post 11799233)
I think you meant 100MB.

Lol. That would be some feat to eat up 100GB in 5 days...whilst on holiday too !

bakedbean Nov 21st 2015 5:29 am

Originally Posted by Mlee888 (Post 11798913)
Don't buy from airport counters unless it's the changi recommends counter. Singtel uses them as a reseller for their tourist sims which is $15 for 100GB data and some phone minutes for 5 days. If you can wait until you reach the city, go to the nearest Singtel shop and you will see your options are plenty.

The phone calls and text only will be about half that price. Take a look here.

Prepaid Cards | Singtel

That's brilliant. Thanks for that link....very useful. I just need for local phonecalls and texts. Just need to figure out my dual SIM in my phone :unsure:

Mlee888 Nov 21st 2015 9:26 am

Originally Posted by InVinoVeritas (Post 11799233)
I think you meant 100MB.

No, I meant 100GB. I know the difference between 100MB and 100GB.

http://info.singtel.com/personal/phones-plans/mobile/prepaid/hitouristsimcards

Take a look.

Mlee888 Nov 21st 2015 9:27 am

Originally Posted by bakedbean (Post 11799343)
That's brilliant. Thanks for that link....very useful. I just need for local phonecalls and texts. Just need to figure out my dual SIM in my phone :unsure:

$8 SIM cards available for that then.

You have $15 ones for data and calls.

Options are better as long as you don't go for the crazy overpriced M1 ones.

InVinoVeritas Nov 21st 2015 12:38 pm

Originally Posted by Mlee888 (Post 11799449)
No, I meant 100GB. I know the difference between 100MB and 100GB.

Singapore Best's Prepaid Tourist SIM: Packed with everything you need

Take a look.

That is one crazy deal!

bakedbean Dec 23rd 2015 6:03 am

Originally Posted by Mlee888 (Post 11798913)

Aha...so that is here?
https://www.changirecommends.com/contactus.aspx

Would they flog me an EZLink card as well? :sneaky:

I note what you say about SingTel shops, but just trying to save a bit of time on arrival. And I only need the bog-standard 8 dollar SIM card.

Mlee888 Dec 23rd 2015 6:06 am

Yes, they are the one. Not sure if they will have the sim you want but worth a try. Good luck and enjoy the trip.:)

bakedbean Dec 23rd 2015 6:21 am

Cheers Mlee888. I'll give them a try. If I cannot, I'll toddle off down to Ion as I see there is a SingTel store there.