Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Far East and Asia > Singapore
Reload this Page >

Shopping in Singapore and sizes

Shopping in Singapore and sizes

Old Apr 22nd 2014, 11:30 am
Just Joined

westwest is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Shopping in Singapore and sizes

Hi all

Browsed though older topics but did not find anything about shopping for clothes and shoes.
I have been in Asia before, S Korea to be exact, (that was many ears ago 12-15) and being size 10 then I found it frustrating even then to find some dissent clothing, as everything seem to start in boutiques even european ones from size 0 to size 8 max and tops, sleeves were too short as locals quite tiny .

I want to find out is it a problem for someone like me now respectable size 16 )) to shop in Sing? Should I go on shopping spree while I am here in UK?
What your advice would be folks?

And also I found that there are our usual shops like M&S (is it only does clothes? Any M&S food?) River Island, H&M, topshop, Zara, esprit, gap, etc. do they come with our sort of sizes and up to 16,18, (bigger for M&S) or they all made for local tiny figures?
Or is it just stereotype and there is plenty of choice out there?

Please help

Will very much appreciate if anyone answers
Old Apr 22nd 2014, 1:40 pm

bakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Shopping in Singapore and sizes

Hopefully someone in Singapore will give you some up to date info but I didn't find too much problem when I lived there (2005 to 2007, and UK size 14). Maybe not the same range as UK but not a real problem.

I wish I wish I wish we had a M&S in Penang. I have to go and do a good stock up on undies when I go down to Singapore on rare occasions. I don't know what it is with bras in Malaysia....mostly bullet proof if you know what I mean.
Old Apr 22nd 2014, 3:35 pm
Just Joined

Thank you bakedbean, so not everything as bad. I found a blog about it , which terrified me, I tried to post some of it here, but probably because it got a link in it, it sad that needed moderators approval or something like that. Basically it says there is no bra cap bigger than A and sizes 10 uk in sing XXL and not always and everywhere available , so I thought I'll be like an elephant in a tiny shop there with my size 16, I think I"ll skip my dinner tonight still two month to go, may be I'll manage to loose one size. Otherwise afraid there ll be a lot of hart attacks if I'll appear by the pool in sweemwear
Old Apr 23rd 2014, 5:28 am
Just Joined

DelilahBlue is a splendid one to beholdDelilahBlue is a splendid one to beholdDelilahBlue is a splendid one to beholdDelilahBlue is a splendid one to beholdDelilahBlue is a splendid one to beholdDelilahBlue is a splendid one to beholdDelilahBlue is a splendid one to beholdDelilahBlue is a splendid one to beholdDelilahBlue is a splendid one to beholdDelilahBlue is a splendid one to beholdDelilahBlue is a splendid one to behold

I went shopping for jeans on the weekend, I am a 16UK. Ended up only being able to get them at M&S, Levi's didn't do my size, nor did Esprit. Saying that, I have stuck to M&S for my clothing since I arrived. I did buy some shirts from Cotton On, but they only went up to L, and the dresses are tiny.
M&S does stock food as well. Not the biggest range, and you will pay a premium for it. My partner likes to buy crumpets and muffins, but again, they are quite pricey, looking at around 4-5 pounds for a packet.
I went shopping in Ben Sherman (or tried to for my partner) and they did not have his size (he is 6'3"), and they had what they called their winter range... maybe they haven't realised that the weather here does not change!
Old Apr 23rd 2014, 12:55 pm

bakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DelilahBlue
and they had what they called their winter range... maybe they haven't realised that the weather here does not change!
I'd quite forgotten that little quirk about Singapore where they refer to seasons

Westwest, you'll be ok with bras in M&S...full range of sizes. Oh, new posters who put in links go to a Moderation queue automatically....nothing personal. Get a lot of spammers on here unfortunately.
Old Apr 29th 2014, 8:38 am
Just Joined

DelilahBlue thank you for your input, now I will definitely go shopping here before I leave and make sure I've got enough of everything for us. Good to hear there is M&S food, and you can have treat ones in a while, ordinary things may become a delicacy in a foreign country
Winter range in Singapore does sounds funny but suppose it's just retailer thing excuse to sell us "new season" collection.

Bakedbean thanks, I thought so.
Old Apr 29th 2014, 8:46 am
Just Joined

Suppose I can shop online and some British stores posting to Singapore now, but postage cost- o my god! It's £25 posting fee in Johnlewis! Plus cost of possible return, may cost me more than a thing I buy in the end. (
Old May 5th 2014, 2:43 am
Just Joined

fantail19 is an unknown quantity at this point

Definitely bring clothes and bras, and shoes to some extent depending on your size. While there are occasional items that you can buy, its not reliable and the seasonal stock changes fast and it is really expensive. Places like H&M don't even stock above about a size 14, so it is hopeless really to find affordable things. Bear in mind synthetic fabrics do not suit this heat, so plenty of linen and cool cotton. British India here have generous sizes but in my experience are only worth buying from during their sale season. Good luck!
Old May 9th 2014, 11:45 am
Just Joined

Thank you, fantail19. Already started shopping, here summer collections just appearing in stores. Natural fabrics are way to go, sure, I never could wear anything but cotton or linen in hot countries. Thankfully don't' need to stoke up on shoes as have a pretty big collection already, as there not a chance to wear nice sandals in UK, just occasional holiday trips to the sun )
It still feels quiet surreal can not believe I will be living that far away.
Old May 12th 2014, 2:32 pm
BE Enthusiast

Bocat has a reputation beyond reputeBocat has a reputation beyond reputeBocat has a reputation beyond reputeBocat has a reputation beyond reputeBocat has a reputation beyond reputeBocat has a reputation beyond reputeBocat has a reputation beyond reputeBocat has a reputation beyond reputeBocat has a reputation beyond reputeBocat has a reputation beyond reputeBocat has a reputation beyond repute

You've probably got all the advice you need now westwest but I agree with all that's been said. I'm a UK 16-18 and find it almost impossible to get clothes here. (That said I think it also depends on your build as somewhere like H&M may carry the size but would never fit my curves!)

M&S is ok (apart from when they decide to carry winter stock - why oh why?) but it's at least twice the price you'd pay back home which really annoys me. Dorothy Perkins is ok too and they don't mark up their prices quite so much.

I generally do a huge shop when I'm home in the summer and then stock up on a few bits here as clothing items start to die off throughout the year.

You might think you'd never need it - but bring a cardy or lightweight jacket for visits to the cinema and theatre - they're always like the North Pole!
Old May 12th 2014, 2:37 pm

Yeh think it was Plaza Singapura (the mall near PM's place) that we renamed Plaza Siberia.
Old May 13th 2014, 7:23 am
BE Forum Addict

ex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bocat
You might think you'd never need it - but bring a cardy or lightweight jacket for visits to the cinema and theatre - they're always like the North Pole!
As are buses, the MRT, taxis where at least you can ask that the aircon be tuned down and most offices.

A sweater, cardi or fleece are vital items of clothing.
Old May 13th 2014, 8:48 am
Just Joined

Thank you guys! Thanks to you I'll come all armed
Old May 19th 2014, 5:45 am
BE Enthusiast

hong_konger has a reputation beyond reputehong_konger has a reputation beyond reputehong_konger has a reputation beyond reputehong_konger has a reputation beyond reputehong_konger has a reputation beyond reputehong_konger has a reputation beyond reputehong_konger has a reputation beyond reputehong_konger has a reputation beyond reputehong_konger has a reputation beyond reputehong_konger has a reputation beyond reputehong_konger has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by westwest
Hi all

What your advice would be folks?

Please help

Will very much appreciate if anyone answers
Well I know this is not politically correct and you will probably retaliate quite badly but to heck with it... you did ask and we are in Asia....

It might be a good time to start a fitness regime to perhaps trim yourself down to a size where you can get clothes locally.

No offence intended.
Old May 20th 2014, 8:25 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by hong_konger
Well I know this is not politically correct and you will probably retaliate quite badly but to heck with it... you did ask and we are in Asia....

It might be a good time to start a fitness regime to perhaps trim yourself down to a size where you can get clothes locally.

No offence intended.
No offence taken, hong_konger, if you was reading all my post not just the bottom part you would see that even in trim condition it is hard for westerners to find anything in asian market, we generally build different. I could not be less than size 10 uk (i don't know if you familiar with uk sizes system?) and in being size 10, generally the waist line was just under my breasts, sleeves 3/4 and I don't even want to mention trousers.
Its fine really, I know you in Asia with all outcomings, keep spreading a joy, that’s who you are and no need to be ashamed of it, we all have flows .
Thank you for advise but why would I trim myself for somebody's market to spend my own money on? If Singapore don't want my money well.. it's fine, there's lots of places I spend it elsewhere well already do so. ;-)
Thank for your replay

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.