Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Far East and Asia > Singapore
Reload this Page >

School advice for autistic boy please

School advice for autistic boy please

Old Jun 17th 2012, 9:11 pm
Just Joined

linz75 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default School advice for autistic boy please

Hi everyone.. New to the forum and looking for some advice. My husband looks likely to be offered a job in Singapore in the coming week and we are desperately trying to do research to aid our decision.
Our only real concern is that our eldest son, 7 next month, is autistic. Here in the UK he is in main stream school but has a statement and is supported 1 to 1 for 16 hours a week. I need to feel comfortable that his needs are going to be met if were to make the move that we desperately want to do.
It looks likely to be a local package so no help with school fees I would like some advice on local schools and there suitability. And also some advice on suitable international schools as well. We are open to both options.
I have a 5 year old daughter who is very bright and a 21 month old son as well, although the youngest will be at home with me.
Thank you in advance for you help. Looking forward to hearing what you have to say!
xx
Old Jun 17th 2012, 9:23 pm
BE Forum Addict

ex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: School advice for autistic boy please

A week is not long to research an important decision.
Ask your husband's company for advice and assistance.

Sorry can't help with schools for autistic children but search the threads because I think there has been one or two dealing with it.

Local terms mean not a high salary and accommodation is expensive in Singapore.
Singapore is expensive, full stop.
Just for basic info, I'd guess you would be looking for accommodation with 3 bedrooms.
You'd want that to be close to the schools you choose rather than your husband's job.
You'd have to budget S$5000 per month as a minimum for that.
If you need a special school that will be more expensive than the usual school, I'd guess.
Local schools will be a high standard and your daughter will have to work to keep up.
International schools will of course be more expensive.
You can google and get some costing for schools and accommodation.

You might be looking at a local term salary of S$ 20,000 per month to feel comfortable.
I might have over egged that but 15k at least would be the absolute minimum.

Make sure you have enough info before you make a decision.

Good luck.
I hope that has been of help if not directly answering your questions.
If you have other queries just ask.
Others will assist I'd think where they can.

Last edited by ex reg; Jun 17th 2012 at 9:33 pm.
Old Jun 18th 2012, 6:43 am
BE Forum Addict

RedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond repute

$15k per month = GBP 90k per year
$20k per month = GBP 120k per year

Would that be fair assumption on current exchange rates?

Summary:
Housing cost is expensive
Education is expensive and highly geared to Academia achievements
Running or maintaining even a simple motor vehicle is very cost prohibitive.
Tax rates ? assume you save more net?

Living on border with Malaysia?

For OP (opening poster) we had a look at the international schools and are veering towards a new school opening in Malaysia across the border.

As a backup considering home schooling so any one who can advise on:

Ideal teacher/student ratios for 10 year to 15 year old students
How much are high performing English teachers getting who can teach the English Currilum ?
Old Jun 18th 2012, 12:42 pm
BE Forum Addict

ex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond repute

One further thing on international schools: there is usually a waiting list and it can be quite long, months rather than weeks.
And I don't think you have an open choice of which local schools you chose either, need someone to confirm that.
Old Jun 18th 2012, 1:31 pm

Yorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond repute

I did some work with a boy with Aspergers who was attending Chatsworth....basically 1 on 1 assistance in a regular Class. It was arranged for him thru an Australian lady called Glen's Barber but for the life of me I can't remember the name of her company.this was 12 years ago, but she was PR so may still be there.....I'll try to find some details when I get home.
Just to put some context, we calculated first year costs at the American school to be 143k for our 3 kids. Yikes!!!
Old Jun 19th 2012, 7:38 am
BE Forum Addict

RedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Yorkieabroad
I did some work with a boy with Aspergers who was attending Chatsworth....basically 1 on 1 assistance in a regular Class. It was arranged for him thru an Australian lady called Glen's Barber but for the life of me I can't remember the name of her company.this was 12 years ago, but she was PR so may still be there.....I'll try to find some details when I get home.
Just to put some context, we calculated first year costs at the American school to be 143k for our 3 kids. Yikes!!!
Try $57k each
Old Jun 20th 2012, 4:36 pm

Yorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond repute

Wow - where's that?
Old Jun 20th 2012, 9:31 pm
BE Enthusiast

Bocat has a reputation beyond reputeBocat has a reputation beyond reputeBocat has a reputation beyond reputeBocat has a reputation beyond reputeBocat has a reputation beyond reputeBocat has a reputation beyond reputeBocat has a reputation beyond reputeBocat has a reputation beyond reputeBocat has a reputation beyond reputeBocat has a reputation beyond reputeBocat has a reputation beyond repute

Hi linz75

Thought this may be of interest:

http://www.pathlight.org.sg/main/

It's only a few years old (located in Ang Mo Kio where I used to live). I know you're more keen on a mainstream school but just thought you might like to consider this place too.

My kids are going to go to Malborough College (the one Red Dragon mentions in Malaysia) but until recently my 7 year old son was in a Singaporean local school and my 4 year old daughter in a local kindergarten.

A lot of the local schools do offer special needs support - but I really have no idea what this actually entails. There may be more info on the MOE website:

http://www.moe.gov.sg/education/special-education/

This link actually refers to special needs schools - but there may be more info in there somewhere (it can be hard to find info on their site sometimes!)

Kids start P1 the year that they turn 7 in the local school system.
Old Jul 7th 2012, 9:25 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Yorkieabroad
Wow - where's that?
Private Melbourne Girls School

Includes the other costs associated with having a special needs child as well.
Old Jul 7th 2012, 2:35 pm

Ah OK, I thought you meant at SAS - thought we'd missed something!