Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Far East and Asia > Singapore
Reload this Page >

Running a UK Ltd Company on a DP

Running a UK Ltd Company on a DP

Old Oct 21st 2013, 11:32 pm
Just Joined

haylee76 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Running a UK Ltd Company on a DP

Hi, I am wondering if anyone can shed any light on this..

My husband has just signed a contract to work in Singapore, and has been given a in principle acceptance for an EP, as a family, myself and our daughter will also be coming out to live on a Dependent Pass..

I currently have a UK ltd company which I would like to keep, and return to the UK 3 times a year as I teach and run courses as a teacher/trainer in various therapies.

My question is, is this allowed? and I also do online counseling/therapy via email and skype. I obviously don't want to mess anything up with regards to my husbands EP or my DP, would anybody be able to advise on what's allowed regarding my company in the UK? I would obviously be being taxed in the UK.

Warmest Thanks!
Haylee!
Old Oct 22nd 2013, 1:39 pm

bakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Running a UK Ltd Company on a DP

Hi there and welcome to the forum

Presume your official address for the business would still be in the UK? And if you're doing the actual work in the UK? Doesn't sound like a problem. You no doubt have an accountant in the UK so double check with him/her.
Old Oct 22nd 2013, 7:17 pm
Just Joined

Hi Bakedbean,

Thanks for the welcome.. The official company address will still be in the UK yes, the courses will be run in the uk also, I just wondered where i would find out if I would be allowed to deal with UK clients via email whilst I'm living in Sg and the charges for those services would be paid in the UK via a member of my staff.

My accountant wasnt sure about that area.. he said the working whilst home was fine, but the email service he wasnt sure about? - Do you know where I would be best to contact to get an answer to that?

Many Thanks for your help!

Haylee!
Old Oct 23rd 2013, 1:12 pm

bakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond repute

I'm not an accountant but I think it boils down to where you are doing the work doesn't it? I think if it was me, and fact is you have a pukka UK company and pay UK taxes, I would be inclined to keep head down and not mention emails. Keep it simple.

Presume anyway that this move is not a permanent one? If it was permanent, you'd probably be way better off changing/registering your company in Singapore. Lower tax though it does get a bit complicated if working back in the UK. We did exactly that with our business (a partnership) and travelled back to UK sometimes to do some work there but had to charge UK VAT on that portion of the business Geez....it did get complex sometimes.

Anyway best of luck. Good that you are checking things out and going by the book. Never a good idea to hoodwink the UK taxman.
Old Oct 25th 2013, 6:29 am
BE Forum Addict

RedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by haylee76
Hi Bakedbean,

Thanks for the welcome.. The official company address will still be in the UK yes, the courses will be run in the uk also, I just wondered where i would find out if I would be allowed to deal with UK clients via email whilst I'm living in Sg and the charges for those services would be paid in the UK via a member of my staff.

My accountant wasnt sure about that area.. he said the working whilst home was fine, but the email service he wasnt sure about? - Do you know where I would be best to contact to get an answer to that?

Many Thanks for your help!

Haylee!
Where is the service being provided? UK or Singapore?
To test if the line between Singapore and UK was down could the service still be provided. You talk about courses being run? Are you running these from Singapore with attendees in UK?

If so its a supply in country A but activity taking place in country b Singapore, which is treated similar to exporting from country b to country a.
Old Oct 25th 2013, 1:43 pm

I think Haylee's first post above mentioned that the courses were being run in UK by UK company so simple enough.

We also used to do courses in both UK and Singapore, firstly as a UK partnership then as a Singapore based partnership and it isn't so straightforward. The rules in Singapore were continuously changing when we commuted from UK. Some years required 'Sponsor', then that was abolished, then years later it required 'permission' and extra tax to be paid. What a minefield.
Old Nov 1st 2013, 11:12 pm
Just Joined

Thank you all - the courses are run in the UK - Nothing being run in singapore.. :-) Thanks a million
Old Dec 4th 2013, 5:52 am
Just Joined

FaeLLe is an unknown quantity at this point
Exclamation Re: Running a UK Ltd Company on a DP

Since you are tax resident in Singapore you will most have tax liability to pay taxes on foreign income too (check IRAS website).

However, I am assuming you are going to pay UK tax on earnings of the UK company to HMRC.

You can then invoke UK Singapore Double taxation claim tax credits on tax paid in UK (at a higher rate / amount) and avoid the need to pay taxes in Singapore for your foreign earnings.