Rochester

Old Nov 2nd 2012, 1:22 pm
Just Joined

JGMCD is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Rochester

I have been offered employment by a company working in Jurong Shipyard, accommodation is provided in Rochester. Any advice on the area or the need for a car?
Old Nov 3rd 2012, 7:33 am

bakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Rochester

Hi JGMCD and welcome to the forum. I just googled Rochester Singapore and came up with area near Buona Vista station - so presume that might be handy for you travelling to work? I don't know the area. I never went out to the industrial area when I lived there.

I think that ex-Reg on here is based in Singapore, so he may have some info to offer possibly.

One thing for sure is that cars are very expensive. It's the most expensive place in the world to own a car, so bear that in mind. Plenty of threads on that subject here in the Singapore forum. All the best.
Old Nov 4th 2012, 9:38 am
BE Forum Addict

ex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond repute

I'm making afew assumptions here but I assume by Rochester you mean Rochester Park which is close to Buona Vista.
Rochester Park is an area with old Black and White detached bungalows which are 2 story houses and are sought after if you have the housing allowance to pay for them. Google and there should be some photos.
I'd say that the drive from RP to Jurong shipyard may take 20 to 25 minutes.
There ain't an MRT connection close to Jurong Shipyard afaik and buses although good here may not be the transport of choice.
A 1.6l car may cost around 50k quid to buy and leasing or hire is also high due to this.
The job may well provide transport or a car allowance and if you are living in RP I would think this is the case.
RP does have its own restaurants and Buona Vista and Holland Village are close by and they have supermarkets, bars and high end restaurants etc.
Holland Park as well as RP will be big areas for ex pats.

Hope that is of use.
Google is your friend.
Old Nov 4th 2012, 10:46 am
Just Joined

JGMCD is an unknown quantity at this point

Thank you for the advice really appreciated.