Shopping in Singapore

Old Sep 10th 2004, 4:33 pm
Emm
BE Enthusiast

Emm is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Shopping in Singapore

Looks like my husband is about to go to Singapore on business for 2 weeks and I was wondering what there is over there that is a good deal to buy.

Any one know if it is a good place to buy suits, cheaper than the US?

Any other tips on stuff out there that is a great deal would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Emm.
Old Sep 11th 2004, 2:40 am

Englishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Shopping in Singapore

Originally Posted by Emm
Looks like my husband is about to go to Singapore on business for 2 weeks and I was wondering what there is over there that is a good deal to buy.

Any one know if it is a good place to buy suits, cheaper than the US?

Any other tips on stuff out there that is a great deal would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Emm.
Well, you could send him to Marks & Spencers if you need any bras or knickers! The largest one is in the Centrepoint Shopping Centre in Orchard Road (and you could also get him to bring you back some M&S chocs, biscuits, crisps, teabags etc).

Singapore is not as cheap as you may think....virtually everything is imported onto this tiny island and I doubt that your husband will be shopping where the locals shop (the HDB - Housing Development Board - 'heartlands') where they haggle over the price of everything. Due to US customs regulations he probably won't be able to bring in any local cooked meats etc.

If your husband is into gadgets then he will find that electronic items (PDA's, digital cameras, computer items etc.) are on the market in Asia well before they go on sale in the US. The best place to look is the Funan Centre near Stamford Road ....avoid Sim Lim Square, the traders are renowned for being sharks in there and 'bait and switch'. Same as for 'Lucky Plaza' in Orchard Road. We always found that "Paris Silk" electronics store in Holland Village (a lively expat enclave a short taxi ride from the CBD) to be above board and very competitive on prices (no haggling there either) - if they haven't got it in stock they will get it within 24 hours for you.

As for suits, then it all comes down to what you consider 'reasonable'. The very best place is 'Just Mens' in Tanglin Shopping Centre on Tanglin Road where all the diplomats and top execs go for custom made suits (similar quality to Savile Row in London but less expensive). There are other tailors operating there too.On the other hand, next to the Hilton Hotel in Far East Shopping Centre and the similarly named mall (Far East Plaza) adjacent to the Hyatt in Scotts Road has dozens of tailors (mostly seem to be Indian) but they do sometimes hassle you as you walk by. We left Singapore 4 years ago, so I suggest you take a look at the forums on

http://www.expatsingapore.com

and if you can't find any recent info for recommmended tailors in the FAQs then you can post a message and you will definitely receive some suggestions.

Your husband will probably be approached by guys offering to sell 'copy watches' especially outside Lucky Plaza and near the Clifford Centre in the financial district. I think you can still get cheap 'fake' designer handbags at the night market opposite Bugis junction (check on expatsingapore).

Which hotel is your husband going to stay at? I'd move back to Singapore in a heartbeat if I could!
Old Sep 12th 2004, 6:07 pm
BE Forum Addict

helinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Englishmum how are you? Have you had a good summer?
I endorse all Englishmum says above

Our son returned to Singapore and Malaysia as part of his gap year travels- July and August and came home with a lovely large box of orchids for me- from Holland village market behind the shopping centre- ( they put the flower stems in wet cotton wool and a bag then box them so they lasted the journey well) made me home sick though! His friend got a great deal on an ipod at the funan centre.

We used to go to Roy the tailor in Holland village shopping centre for hubbys suits and shirts-( he supplies the Orchard Road tailors with material.)
Helinuk
Old Sep 15th 2004, 9:26 pm
Just Joined

hockeykid is an unknown quantity at this point
Talking Re: Shopping in Singapore

Far East Plaza and Queensway shopping centre
Old Sep 16th 2004, 1:58 am

Covenant has a reputation beyond reputeCovenant has a reputation beyond reputeCovenant has a reputation beyond reputeCovenant has a reputation beyond reputeCovenant has a reputation beyond reputeCovenant has a reputation beyond reputeCovenant has a reputation beyond reputeCovenant has a reputation beyond reputeCovenant has a reputation beyond reputeCovenant has a reputation beyond reputeCovenant has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by hockeykid
Far East Plaza and Queensway shopping centre
Right, Ill try that
Old Sep 18th 2004, 3:27 am
Emm
BE Enthusiast

Thanks for all your info,

Hubby is in Singapore at the moment and I've just sent him off to do some serious suit shopping with all your recommendations, so he should be able to find something.

I think he is staying at the Fullerton (does that sound right, he has told me several times but I think my brain has turned into a sieve recently 'cos I can't really remember).

Anyway, apart from the fact that they are working him like a dog he seems to be having a good time and say's the sights are really beautiful. Although the beer seems to be very expensive (around 15 Singapore $ for a bottle!!!) so he's not drinking very much.

Thanks again,

Emm.
Old Sep 18th 2004, 10:02 am
BE Forum Addict

helinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Emm
Thanks for all your info,

Hubby is in Singapore at the moment and I've just sent him off to do some serious suit shopping with all your recommendations, so he should be able to find something.

I think he is staying at the Fullerton (does that sound right, he has told me several times but I think my brain has turned into a sieve recently 'cos I can't really remember).

Anyway, apart from the fact that they are working him like a dog he seems to be having a good time and say's the sights are really beautiful. Although the beer seems to be very expensive (around 15 Singapore $ for a bottle!!!) so he's not drinking very much.

Thanks again,

Emm.
Lucky man - Fullerton hotel is top hotel, I've only eaten there once. Tell him to pop into the supermarket (one at at the basement of Westin stanford / swissotel shopping centre) . Coldstorage, The marketplace are both good supermarkets near to him. From his hotel The Marina square and suntec city shopping centres are also walking distance and he can stock up on beer- its much cheaper that way.
Old Sep 18th 2004, 9:15 pm
Invisi... K

ksct97 has a reputation beyond reputeksct97 has a reputation beyond reputeksct97 has a reputation beyond reputeksct97 has a reputation beyond reputeksct97 has a reputation beyond reputeksct97 has a reputation beyond reputeksct97 has a reputation beyond reputeksct97 has a reputation beyond reputeksct97 has a reputation beyond reputeksct97 has a reputation beyond reputeksct97 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by helinuk
Lucky man - Fullerton hotel is top hotel.
isn't it like a 6star hotel... lucky man or exceptionally rich!
Old Sep 19th 2004, 4:17 pm
Emm
BE Enthusiast

Unhappy Re: Shopping in Singapore

Originally Posted by ksct97
isn't it like a 6star hotel... lucky man or exceptionally rich!

Very much a lucky man, business trip was scheduled the day before he flew out and that hotel had rooms vacant...

Mind you he say's that the restaurant, room service and mini-bar are hidiously expensive and unfortunately expense accounts are not bottomless. Still if you have to fly out at a moments notice and stay away from the family for 3 weekends when you were planning on relaxing at home, not to mention working 16 hours a day, you may as well have nice surroundings.

It's a shame it's not a holiday

Emm.