Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Far East and Asia > Singapore
Reload this Page >

Potentially moving to Singapore by Jan 2013

Potentially moving to Singapore by Jan 2013

Old Oct 27th 2012, 8:37 am
Just Joined

Bethw is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Potentially moving to Singapore by Jan 2013

Hi, I have read through many of the posts on here and am really excited to potentially be relocating

We are looking to relocate from the UK and like most people I have a few questions:

1. I have a 9 year old and a 12 year old, but as I travel a lot in my role, I need childcare cover for overnight as well as Pre/post school - what would you suggest in terms of childcare type and also where to find someone?

2. In terms of schooling, I am guessing the only way to ascertain if there are any spaces available is to contact every school?

3. I was wondering if anyone here has any experience of how long it can take to find a place at a school?

4. We want to bring our dog with us and I was wondering whether any one had experience of this and any areas for concern we need to be aware of?

5. I have been advised to look at the east of the country but have noticed most posts on here advocate finding a school first, what would you recommend?

Finally as a working mother, how easy will it be to meet other ex pats?

I know lots of questions,many that have been answered before but I wanted to ask again in case anything has changed?

Thank you so much in advance for your help

Last edited by Bethw; Oct 27th 2012 at 8:46 am. Reason: Spelling mistakes!
Old Oct 27th 2012, 9:12 am

bakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Potentially moving to Singapore by Jan 2013

Hi Beth,

Re schools, it might be worth tagging on to one of the many existing threads on here. That might nudge some folks with relevant info. Once you've done 3 posts (I think) you can use the PM facility on here.

A lot of folks in Singapore use the services of a live-in "maid". I would imagine that might be one option to help with the children.

Re dogs. Mmm that's a bit tricky in Singapore. I think most condos do not allow dogs, or at least not big dogs. That was the case when we lived there. Having said that, our neighbours had a big slobbery bulldog in their apartment and got away with that. The bulldog almost licked me to death one day

There's the option of renting a house but that will be quite expensive. There's probably some threads on here.

Re meeting others. You will have no problem at all. Check out this thread below re Clubs. It includes a link to meetups which I know that Bocat bangs on about. I think they might have a "Mothers Group" too.
http://britishexpats.com/forum/showt...ghlight=meetup

Re East of Country. I'm sure that you know that Singapore is a tiny Island state. When people mention the "East Coast" it's actually the area that's on the south-east - Katong / Siglap / Changi etc. We used to live in Katong - great place, easy for East Coast Park, and lots of pubs and eateries.

Happy planning
Old Oct 27th 2012, 10:03 am
Just Joined

Hi bakedbean,

Thank you so much for your reply - will certainly look into the live in maid concept and will tag to the other threads.

In terms of a house, ideally I want to love in a condo - do you know of any agents who might be able to help me find a condo which allows small dogs who like the bull dog are avid lickers?
Old Oct 27th 2012, 1:55 pm

bakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond repute

No sorry, we left end 2007 so I'm slightly out if touch but do pop down there a couple of times a year.

Bocat I'm sure will be around on here soon and has more up to date info. I suspect you may have to wing it with the dog. Is it quiet? hehe
Old Oct 28th 2012, 2:47 am
BE Enthusiast

Bocat has a reputation beyond reputeBocat has a reputation beyond reputeBocat has a reputation beyond reputeBocat has a reputation beyond reputeBocat has a reputation beyond reputeBocat has a reputation beyond reputeBocat has a reputation beyond reputeBocat has a reputation beyond reputeBocat has a reputation beyond reputeBocat has a reputation beyond reputeBocat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bakedbean
It includes a link to meetups which I know that Bocat bangs on about.
Thanks for that bakedbean!!! Ok - I do bang on about them - but only because Meetup's a great way to meet people.

Re schools - you can use the services of a school placement agency. My friend works for one but I can't for the life of me remember the name of it. I'll get back to you on that.

Alternatively - yes - contacting all the schools would be your best bet.

Re a place to live - the east coast is very popular with expats - but there are lots of great places to live in Singapore. There are not really any "bad" areas. It just depends on what you prefer - to be close to the kids' school, to be close to your place of work, to be close to parks, nightlife, restaurants etc...

Re the help taking care of your children. Most people have a domestic helper here. We didn't for the first year as I struggled to get my head around it but we've been very lucky with Aileen - she's a star. Not everyone has the same experience though and it can be difficult to get someone so good. Also - if you travel quite a bit, it might take you a long time to build up the trust with a helper to leave your children with her.

An alternative would be to find a school that does part-time boarding. I don't know whether any of the schools in Singapore do this though. Marlborough College in Malaysia (just over the border where we now live) do offer boarding.

Hope this helps - any more questions just give me a shout!
Old Oct 28th 2012, 8:34 am
Just Joined

Thanks Bocat - I will definitely use Meetup when I move over, or can you sign up Pre relocation?

Ideally I don't want the girls to p/t board, whats the best way to find a domestic helper? There seem to be numerous agencies but having read various posts and blogs, I don't know which to use - are there any you would recommend?

Thanks again and sorry to continue to ask, I just want to ensure as smooth a transition as possible
Old Oct 28th 2012, 8:54 am
BE Forum Addict

ex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond repute

With everything else going on when you move you may find it easier to leave getting a maid for at least a few months until everything has settled down, you find your feet and you have talked to a few people with helpers and maybe met a few. Also having someone stay in your accommodation takes some getting used to.
Generally you'll have a choice of Philippina, Indonesian, Myanmar and Bangladeshi.
I think there may be some Thai maids around but haven't met anyone who has them.

Not many Malaysian maids here but a few Singaporean who tend to work part time.

Some people will have had a good experience from one maid supplier while others will have the directly opposite pov.

There are forums discussing maids, just google, and you will find out the problems involved , and how those problems have been overcome or not. I'd say you need to know what your options are before hiring a maid.
Old Oct 28th 2012, 1:20 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by ex reg
With everything else going on when you move you may find it easier to leave getting a maid for at least a few months until everything has settled down, you find your feet and you have talked to a few people with helpers and maybe met a few. Also having someone stay in your accommodation takes some getting used to.
Generally you'll have a choice of Philippina, Indonesian, Myanmar and Bangladeshi.
I think there may be some Thai maids around but haven't met anyone who has them.

Not many Malaysian maids here but a few Singaporean who tend to work part time.

Some people will have had a good experience from one maid supplier while others will have the directly opposite pov.

There are forums discussing maids, just google, and you will find out the problems involved , and how those problems have been overcome or not. I'd say you need to know what your options are before hiring a maid.
Thanks ex reg, slightly concerned as within 1 week of moving I will need to start my new role and will need childcare Would your recommendation be to get a Nanny rather than a maid in this case or would this really have the same issues?
Old Oct 28th 2012, 1:48 pm
BE Forum Addict

ex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond repute

Maids are probably easier to find here than a nanny.

Choosing a maid within one week can be done but it will be hit and miss.
Dunno if I'd like to do that and leave the maid with kids without a period of vetting first.

The other thing is that for a week or so you will also be jet lagged, it always takes me 3 weeks to get over it.

Choosing a maid just to cook, maybe shop and keep places clean, is not easy, throw in looking after kids and it'll be much harder.
Just because a maid says she can do something doesn't mean she can, so you must have suitable questions for her in order to vet her properly.
Just because an agency says the maid is experienced in doing something doesn't mean she can do it.
Just chatting to my wife who tells me if you want a brand new maid from outside Singapore the process can take between 6 and 8 weeks.

If you want a transfer maid then that might reduce to about 2 weeks but some transfer maids will have been rejected by a previous employer for various reasons. Some may be transferring because the previous employer no longer requires a maid. You'll never really know the reason.

Just because you have a brand new maid doesn't mean you will get one suitable.
Ditto transfer maids and if you haven't been involved in the process beforehand then it will make things difficult.

Of course people do get good maids first time round probably more than get unsuitable ones.

Our last maid was a transfer maid and it was a bit chancy but we, like you, didn't have time. Luckily we struck it lucky and she's very good. Not to say my wife doesn't still have problems even though she's been with us for coming up to 5 years, the maid not the wife

I'll repeat, look up forums via google for maid and see what is said there. There'll be horror stories but there'll also be good info.

Good luck.
Old Oct 28th 2012, 2:27 pm

Great info exReg. It's a tricky subject isn't it.
Old Oct 28th 2012, 6:42 pm
Just Joined

ebiburger is just really niceebiburger is just really niceebiburger is just really niceebiburger is just really niceebiburger is just really niceebiburger is just really niceebiburger is just really niceebiburger is just really nice

If there is any expat families who is relocating out of Singapore and recommends their maid for transfer, you can consider taking over their maid.
At least the maid would be assessed by the previous employer already.

You can try posting in this forum and see if anyone who is relocating has a maid for transfer. Otherwise, like ex reg mentioned, obtaining a maid through a agency is somewhat like a gamble. The maid might be or might not be good.

As for locations to live, I would suggest that you decide on the schools to enroll your children into as well as your workplace. Ideally, the place would be convenient for using public transport to the schools as well as your workplace(unless your company provides car benefits). It would be good if your employer has already told you where your supposed workplace would be so it is easier to recommend locations based on accessibility.
Old Oct 28th 2012, 7:18 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by ex reg
Maids are probably easier to find here than a nanny.

Choosing a maid within one week can be done but it will be hit and miss.
Dunno if I'd like to do that and leave the maid with kids without a period of vetting first.

The other thing is that for a week or so you will also be jet lagged, it always takes me 3 weeks to get over it.

Choosing a maid just to cook, maybe shop and keep places clean, is not easy, throw in looking after kids and it'll be much harder.
Just because a maid says she can do something doesn't mean she can, so you must have suitable questions for her in order to vet her properly.
Just because an agency says the maid is experienced in doing something doesn't mean she can do it.
Just chatting to my wife who tells me if you want a brand new maid from outside Singapore the process can take between 6 and 8 weeks.

If you want a transfer maid then that might reduce to about 2 weeks but some transfer maids will have been rejected by a previous employer for various reasons. Some may be transferring because the previous employer no longer requires a maid. You'll never really know the reason.

Just because you have a brand new maid doesn't mean you will get one suitable.
Ditto transfer maids and if you haven't been involved in the process beforehand then it will make things difficult.

Of course people do get good maids first time round probably more than get unsuitable ones.

Our last maid was a transfer maid and it was a bit chancy but we, like you, didn't have time. Luckily we struck it lucky and she's very good. Not to say my wife doesn't still have problems even though she's been with us for coming up to 5 years, the maid not the wife

I'll repeat, look up forums via google for maid and see what is said there. There'll be horror stories but there'll also be good info.

Good luck.
Thanks ex Reg - I have been looking and now appreciate this might not be as simple as I had thought

Thanks ebiburger I have started a new thread requesting any recommendations - fingers crossed

Just wanted to take a moment and thank everyone, your advice is really appreciated and I am now getting even more excited
Old Dec 5th 2012, 10:45 am
Just Joined

Flostan is on a distinguished road

Beth we are also moving to Singapore in January. We have been through the school problem and amazingly got our children into the same school for a January start! Have looked at most schools and the good ones have waiting lists. However, never say never as we were told one thing and then two places suddenly came up. Good luck. Definitely worth getting school places then house hunting as from what I understand the school bus journeys can be long.

I have the same problem with travel and my job. Just wondering if perhaps we work for the same company! I don't know the best childcare solution either and am I a complete dilemma.

Last edited by Flostan; Dec 5th 2012 at 10:47 am. Reason: Typos
Old Dec 6th 2012, 12:21 am
BE Enthusiast

Bocat has a reputation beyond reputeBocat has a reputation beyond reputeBocat has a reputation beyond reputeBocat has a reputation beyond reputeBocat has a reputation beyond reputeBocat has a reputation beyond reputeBocat has a reputation beyond reputeBocat has a reputation beyond reputeBocat has a reputation beyond reputeBocat has a reputation beyond reputeBocat has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=Flostan;10417018] Have looked at most schools and the good ones have waiting lists. However, never say never as we were told one thing and then two places suddenly came up./QUOTE]

I know I'm just an old cynic - but the schools are a very personal choice and the popular ones (i.e. the ones with waiting lists) aren't necessarily the only "good" ones. It all depends what you're looking for in a school. The marketing hype about schools in Singapore is a very well oiled machine!
Old Dec 6th 2012, 6:10 am
Just Joined

Flostan is on a distinguished road

Oh don't worry I know. We went around them all and went with gut feel and size that would suit our children. It is very easy to get distracted with shiny new buildings and facilities! I know someone who moved back to the UK and their child went to an over subscribed school in Singapore and the felt they were behind when back in the uk system!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.