Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Far East and Asia > Singapore
Reload this Page >

Possibly moving to Singapore and fretting about schools

Possibly moving to Singapore and fretting about schools

Old Sep 6th 2016, 6:42 pm
LAD
Just Joined

LAD is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Possibly moving to Singapore and fretting about schools

Hi, I am hoping for some advice about international schools for my daughter. We are likely to move mid-year and she will need to enter Year 2 (England) equivalent. She is 6. My daughter is extremely bright and enjoys school but she can be socially nervous and does not necessarily find making friends easy. She is currently in a small private school in the UK with 20 pupils in her class and overall only around 300 pupils in the school. She is about to move up to Year 2 and is nervous because her new classroom will be upstairs in her very small school building! Needless to say I am extremely worried about the size of international schools in Singapore and how she will cope. Any advice about which schools I should look at would be gratefully received. Please no-one post about how we shouldn't be moving so far and subjecting our daughter to the trauma of such a move... i already feel bad enough about it as it is!

My key priorities would be a small (or at least smallish) school with small class sizes and a good academic record. Good teacher-home communication and pastoral care.

I.e. The holy grail!

Any personal experiences welcome from other parents.

Thank you

(And sorry for the long post)
Old Sep 6th 2016, 7:50 pm
BE Forum Addict

ex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Possibly moving to Singapore and fretting about schools

Can't help but good luck.
I think she'll be OK when settled in.
Old Sep 20th 2016, 2:24 am
Just Joined

Lophophora has a reputation beyond reputeLophophora has a reputation beyond reputeLophophora has a reputation beyond reputeLophophora has a reputation beyond reputeLophophora has a reputation beyond reputeLophophora has a reputation beyond reputeLophophora has a reputation beyond reputeLophophora has a reputation beyond reputeLophophora has a reputation beyond reputeLophophora has a reputation beyond reputeLophophora has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Possibly moving to Singapore and fretting about schools

Hi,

International Schools and "small" do not go well together in Singapore, as the government strongly encourages all international schools to grow bigger.

We have 3 children and one of them seems to have similar personality traits than your daughter so we had the same concerns, only to a certain extent because he is now 12 and things have gotten easier. Before moving to Singapore we were living in a small village with 325 inhabitants and a tiny local school.

You might want to consider Dover Court. It is not in the top of the list as far as results and prestige are concerned but it has this human feel that the bigger ones lack, in my opinion.

Good luck!