Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Far East and Asia > Singapore
Reload this Page >

Personalised Employment Pass

Personalised Employment Pass

Old Feb 10th 2009, 4:31 am
BE Enthusiast

msi geek is just really nicemsi geek is just really nicemsi geek is just really nicemsi geek is just really nicemsi geek is just really nicemsi geek is just really nicemsi geek is just really nicemsi geek is just really nicemsi geek is just really nicemsi geek is just really nice
Default Personalised Employment Pass

Did someone, in recent times, acquire a Personalised Employment Pass that is valid for five years and allows one to switch employers.
Old Feb 10th 2009, 9:42 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Inselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Personalised Employment Pass

no but I am considering switching my EP to a PEP.

if you are already here on a P1 you should get one no problem. If you are applying for one before having a job then you need to be earnng a minimum salary of S$7k a month.

The PEP has the advantage that if you lose your job you can stay for 6 months to look for work. The disadvantage if you plan to stay long term is that it cannot be renewed. Once it expires you have to become PR or leave.
Old Feb 10th 2009, 9:53 am
Auntie Fa

Kooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond repute

Aren't you usually on the Australia forum, msi geek? Have you had a change of plan or have you just given up trying to find work in Oz?

I would think Singapore is in an even worse state than Oz currently is; quite a few of my friends have been retrenched.
Old Feb 10th 2009, 9:46 pm
BE Enthusiast

msi geek is just really nicemsi geek is just really nicemsi geek is just really nicemsi geek is just really nicemsi geek is just really nicemsi geek is just really nicemsi geek is just really nicemsi geek is just really nicemsi geek is just really nicemsi geek is just really nice

Originally Posted by Seasider
Aren't you usually on the Australia forum, msi geek? Have you had a change of plan or have you just given up trying to find work in Oz?

I would think Singapore is in an even worse state than Oz currently is; quite a few of my friends have been retrenched.

Seasider,

Thanks for your reply.

Australia certainly has more openings than Singapore - wish the Aussie immigration was as efficient as Singapore.

An SG employment pass is approved in 48 hours, an Oz 457 visa take up to 2 months - no employer wants to wait that long.

I tried my best for Aussie visa sponsorship and still trying - with every second person working in IT in Singapore an expat - there are no visa related issues as exists in Australia.

Also, OZ dollar and Singapore dollar are on parity - singapore better income tax wise...

All the companies I have worked in NZ also have a huge presence in OZ, but these Aussies, for some reason, are very reluctant to sponsor visa - even Intra Company transfer is proving very difficult.
Old Feb 10th 2009, 9:50 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Inselaffen
no but I am considering switching my EP to a PEP.

if you are already here on a P1 you should get one no problem. If you are applying for one before having a job then you need to be earnng a minimum salary of S$7k a month.

The PEP has the advantage that if you lose your job you can stay for 6 months to look for work. The disadvantage if you plan to stay long term is that it cannot be renewed. Once it expires you have to become PR or leave.
If you are applying for one before having a job then you need to be earnng a minimum salary of S$7k a month.

If my overseas salary in SG dollars was more than 7000/month in a CONTRACT job working overseas - not a permanent one - will I be entitled to a PEP?
Old Feb 10th 2009, 9:58 pm
Auntie Fa

Kooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond repute

Oh yes taxes definitely better in Sg! We're feeling the effect since moving to Oz (although of course we knew we would).

I don't know the terms of a PEP (we're PR) but Singapore is not a cheap place to be if you don't have work. Are you hoping it will make you more marketable to employers?
Old Feb 11th 2009, 12:07 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Seasider
Oh yes taxes definitely better in Sg! We're feeling the effect since moving to Oz (although of course we knew we would).

I don't know the terms of a PEP (we're PR) but Singapore is not a cheap place to be if you don't have work. Are you hoping it will make you more marketable to employers?
Yes - in Australia earning a salary of 100K would get you only 74K after taxes.

In comparison, my boss who had moved from UK working in Barclays SG on 160K was getting 144K after taxes. Ofcourse, he was a permanent employee and did not have to slog like contractors.

Singapore was recently rated as 12th most expensive city of the world.

Last edited by msi geek; Feb 11th 2009 at 12:10 am.
Old Feb 11th 2009, 12:54 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Inselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by msi geek
If you are applying for one before having a job then you need to be earnng a minimum salary of S$7k a month.

If my overseas salary in SG dollars was more than 7000/month in a CONTRACT job working overseas - not a permanent one - will I be entitled to a PEP?

as far as I know you just need to be earning the equiv of 7k in the month prior to your application. so I guess yes you will.
Old Feb 11th 2009, 1:20 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Inselaffen
as far as I know you just need to be earning the equiv of 7k in the month prior to your application. so I guess yes you will.
Yes - but is not fixed monthly salary - contracting means it not "FIXED"

The following groups of foreigners will be eligible for a PEP:

Overseas foreign professional whose last drawn fixed monthly salary overseas
was at least $7,000
. The last drawn fixed monthly salary overseas should be no more than six
months from the time of the application.
Old Jul 8th 2009, 1:53 pm
Just Joined

rugless is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi msi geek, did you manage to find out if your contracting income counts towards the S$7k required for the PEP? I'm in a similar position, I am a contractor in the UK and I draw a combinations of salary and dividends. The salary amount itself is below the $7k but the dividends is above. I have emailed MOM and am waiting for their response.
Old Jul 11th 2009, 4:58 am
BE Enthusiast

Hi Rugless,

What will be your monthly base salary in Singapore?
Old Jul 11th 2009, 5:30 am
BE Enthusiast

No definite response from MOM regarding Personalised Employment Pass:

We refer to your email dated 04 February 2009.

You may wish to note that we will not be able to advise you on an
application before it is submitted to us.

Therefore, you may submit the application form to us for the consideration
of our processing officers. Please note that every application will be
subjected to the approval of the processing officers.
Old Jul 15th 2009, 12:23 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

just submit your application with proof of your income and see how it goes. the turnaround on applications is very quick
Old Jul 24th 2009, 7:53 am
Forum Regular

Ryem78 is an unknown quantity at this point

[QUOTE=msi geek;7272459]wish the Aussie immigration was as efficient as Singapore.

Hi msi greek,
That makes 2 of us!! We're travelling in SE Asia at the moment (meant to be on our way to Aus) but the visa still hasn't been granted. So we're also looking into staying in Singapore for 6 months or maybe longer (if the visa takes longer). Kindof makes more sense to hang around in Singapore rather than go to the hassle and expense of going back to London.

Good luck to you!
Old Jul 24th 2009, 8:20 am
Auntie Fa

Are you eligible to "hang around in Singapore" for six months?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.