British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Singapore (https://britishexpats.com/forum/singapore-131/)
-   -   Orchard Road to Marina Bay (https://britishexpats.com/forum/singapore-131/orchard-road-marina-bay-855645/)

Stephen Jones Mar 31st 2015 10:10 pm

Orchard Road to Marina Bay

Hi Guys

Can anyone tell me how long it usually takes to travel from Orchard Road to Marina Bay by taxi and what the fare is? (We will be a party of 4)

Would it be better to travel on the MRT?

Steve

Mlee888 Aug 12th 2015 4:11 pm

Re: Orchard Road to Marina Bay

About $7-8 but depends on the time of day and where you get picked up exactly.

MRT is easy. But so is taxi. Posted a long time ago so guess my post is useless now. ;)

bakedbean Aug 13th 2015 11:44 am

Might be handy for someone else ;)

Stephen Jones Aug 29th 2015 4:30 pm

Originally Posted by Mlee888 (Post 11722252)
About $7-8 but depends on the time of day and where you get picked up exactly.

MRT is easy. But so is taxi. Posted a long time ago so guess my post is useless now. ;)

Thanks for this.
Not useless. We were looking for ideas.

We don't make the trip for 2 weeks.

Steve

Mlee888 Aug 29th 2015 4:35 pm

Good stuff!

If you have any questions, let us know. Someone here will have an answer I'm sure. :)

Mlee888 Aug 29th 2015 4:37 pm

Daytime taxis have toll charges for using the roads called ERP and after 5pm is a city pick up charge of around $3. After 6pm taxis add 25% on top of your fare and after midnight until 6am it's 50%.

Although it sounds a lot, split between a group of people only makes it bit more expensive than using the train.

Stephen Jones Aug 30th 2015 7:31 pm

Originally Posted by Mlee888 (Post 11735874)
Good stuff!

If you have any questions, let us know. Someone here will have an answer I'm sure. :)

Thank you for the offer.

We probably will do.

Have you ever visited the Botannical Gardens? Is their 'Chicken Rice' as good s that found in the Maxwell Food Centre?

Steve

ex reg Aug 30th 2015 8:37 pm

Originally Posted by Stephen Jones (Post 11736555)
Thank you for the offer.

We probably will do.

Have you ever visited the Botannical Gardens? Is their 'Chicken Rice' as good s that found in the Maxwell Food Centre?

Steve

iah chicken rice can be very similar anywhere unless it is very bad.

Purvis Street has a couple of places which would be hard to beat.

All depends on the dips for me.

xizzles Aug 31st 2015 3:45 am

I can tell you which establishment you SHOULDN'T visit for Chicken Rice - and that'll be the one at Chatterbox, at the Mandarin Gallery Hotel, if I recall correctly.

Not unless you quite enjoy paying $30 for a plate of that same stuff that can be had for $3 elsewhere...

Stephen Jones Sep 15th 2015 9:32 pm

Originally Posted by xizzles (Post 11736745)
I can tell you which establishment you SHOULDN'T visit for Chicken Rice - and that'll be the one at Chatterbox, at the Mandarin Gallery Hotel, if I recall correctly.

Not unless you quite enjoy paying $30 for a plate of that same stuff that can be had for $3 elsewhere...

No...$3-$4 is ok with me.

Stephen Jones Sep 15th 2015 9:34 pm

Originally Posted by ex reg (Post 11736594)
iah chicken rice can be very similar anywhere unless it is very bad.

Purvis Street has a couple of places which would be hard to beat.

All depends on the dips for me.

Thanks. Will look it up.
We are staying at what was the Traders Hotel this weekend and also going (smog permitting) to the Grand Prix.

Mlee888 Sep 15th 2015 11:36 pm

Ok, so now we know it's the Grand Prix, I am going also.

The taxi fares we mentioned before won't count for Grand Prix weekend. Many of the roads around MBS are closed as they are used for the track. Best to use MRT.

xizzles Sep 17th 2015 3:26 am

For the weekend F1 grand prix, please remember to bring your earplugs along.

Oh, yes, and your N95 masks too, :lol:

BloodyBrilliance Oct 31st 2015 1:09 am

Originally Posted by xizzles (Post 11736745)

Wow, $30 is an absolute rip off for Chicken Rice. Considering that there are hawker stalls virtually everywhere that provide you good quality for a tenth of the price. For $30, I'd rather go to an eat-all-you-can buffet place and still get some change after.

I prefer to use the MRT. Singapore's interconnected lines make it easy to navigate anywhere and everywhere around the country. The fact that you can use your stored value card in some convenience stores is a big bonus too.