Newcomer to Singapore

Old Oct 1st 2012, 6:39 am
Just Joined

BenTRSmith is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Newcomer to Singapore

Hi,

I'm a 22 year old, just moved over recently and about to start a job working in strategic communications consultancy.

Living with family over here, but looking to meet others in the same industry, interested in (and play) football, and enjoy going for a beer.

If it interests anyone else, I'm looking to establish an Aston Villa fans club over here too. Hoping this will prize a few of us beleaguered fans out of the woodwork.

Can anyone point me in the directions and help me out?

Cheers,

Ben
Old Oct 2nd 2012, 7:56 am
BE Enthusiast

Bocat has a reputation beyond reputeBocat has a reputation beyond reputeBocat has a reputation beyond reputeBocat has a reputation beyond reputeBocat has a reputation beyond reputeBocat has a reputation beyond reputeBocat has a reputation beyond reputeBocat has a reputation beyond reputeBocat has a reputation beyond reputeBocat has a reputation beyond reputeBocat has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Newcomer to Singapore

Hi Ben

Welcome to Singapore! (Well I'm in Malaysia but only recently and I still spend lots of time in Sing).

Re setting up your AV fan club - you can start a group on FB. I don't think there's any cost involved with that. Or you could start a group on Meetup www.meetup.com - that costs S$90 every six months. I love Meetup personally as it's very easy to arrange events, it sends automatic reminders etc - but FB might be a good place to start.

Good luck with it and enjoy your time in Sweatypore!
Old Oct 2nd 2012, 2:14 pm

bakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond repute

i thought most footie clubs have their own 'clubs' in Singapore? Might be worth checking out.
Old Oct 4th 2012, 5:18 pm
Just Joined

dedwards90 is an unknown quantity at this point

I'm a West Bromwich Albion fan so won't be joining your Villa fan group!

Cheers for replying to my post regarding internships, as I said I should be in SG November sometime so will be more than happy to join in with some football, drinking and watching PL football!
Old Oct 4th 2012, 10:00 pm

Englishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond repute
Thumbs up Re: Newcomer to Singapore

Originally Posted by BenTRSmith
Hi,

I'm a 22 year old, just moved over recently and about to start a job working in strategic communications consultancy.

Living with family over here, but looking to meet others in the same industry, interested in (and play) football, and enjoy going for a beer.

If it interests anyone else, I'm looking to establish an Aston Villa fans club over here too. Hoping this will prize a few of us beleaguered fans out of the woodwork.

Can anyone point me in the directions and help me out?

Cheers,

Ben
You should get down to the Colbar - they have their own football team, the 'Colbar Tigers' (mostly expats and a few locals). I can't remember when they meet up at the Colbar - I think perhaps Weds or Thursday nights. It's at 9A Whitchurch Road, off Portsdown Road (Wessex estate - the old black and white homes are there where the British Army had accommodation.

They also have a traditional English fry-up, a great chicken curry (ask to have the 'trimmings' with it) and bottled beers and ciders from the UK. It used to be the squaddies mess in Colonial times - Colbar is short for Colonial bar - the squaddies taught the owner Mrs. Lim's father how to cook British food for them back in the 1950s, Mr & Mrs Lim are old now (but still work when they can) and their daughter is basically running the place.....one of our favourite places in Singapore. As you can imagine, loads of Brit expats hang out there....

http://www.tripadvisor.com/Restauran...Singapore.html

http://www.hungrygowhere.com/singapo...ial_bar/album/
Old Oct 7th 2012, 5:14 am
Just Joined

BenTRSmith is an unknown quantity at this point

Many thanks for the hints and tips!