Need advice on Singapore

Old Jul 22nd 2010, 12:40 pm
BE Enthusiast

Stephen Jones has a reputation beyond reputeStephen Jones has a reputation beyond reputeStephen Jones has a reputation beyond reputeStephen Jones has a reputation beyond reputeStephen Jones has a reputation beyond reputeStephen Jones has a reputation beyond reputeStephen Jones has a reputation beyond reputeStephen Jones has a reputation beyond reputeStephen Jones has a reputation beyond reputeStephen Jones has a reputation beyond reputeStephen Jones has a reputation beyond repute
Default Need advice on Singapore

I have recently been approached by a recruitment agency from Singapore who are interested in my I.T. skills.

I have only ever done a short visit to Singapore but liked the look of it.

Can any ex-pats tell me how they find living and working there?
What is the work-culture like?

Thanks in advance.

Steve
Old Jul 22nd 2010, 9:39 pm
BE Forum Addict

ex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Need advice on Singapore

Plenty of threads on this type of question.

Have you worked overseas before, if so where?
Old Jul 23rd 2010, 3:28 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Inselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Stephen Jones
I have recently been approached by a recruitment agency from Singapore who are interested in my I.T. skills.

I have only ever done a short visit to Singapore but liked the look of it.

Can any ex-pats tell me how they find living and working there?
What is the work-culture like?

Thanks in advance.

Steve
Life is generally pretty good out here. Things are pretty expensive though and forget having a car unless you are on a very good salary

the main downsides are the climate and the locals can be a bit robotic
Old Jul 24th 2010, 7:53 pm
BE Enthusiast

Stephen Jones has a reputation beyond reputeStephen Jones has a reputation beyond reputeStephen Jones has a reputation beyond reputeStephen Jones has a reputation beyond reputeStephen Jones has a reputation beyond reputeStephen Jones has a reputation beyond reputeStephen Jones has a reputation beyond reputeStephen Jones has a reputation beyond reputeStephen Jones has a reputation beyond reputeStephen Jones has a reputation beyond reputeStephen Jones has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ex reg
Plenty of threads on this type of question.

Have you worked overseas before, if so where?
Reg, No, I have never worked overseas before,
Old Jul 24th 2010, 7:54 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Inselaffen
Life is generally pretty good out here. Things are pretty expensive though and forget having a car unless you are on a very good salary

the main downsides are the climate and the locals can be a bit robotic
Inselaffen...

what are the downsides to the climate then?
Old Jul 25th 2010, 7:57 am
BE Forum Addict

ex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond repute

Reg, No, I have never worked overseas before,
Singapore is probably as easy an initiation to ex pat life as there is imo.
'Downside to climate may be that heat 32c during day 25c at night, my averages, and high humidity make walking outside a sweaty operation unless like me but unlike many ex pats you really acclimatise by just using fans and not a/cs. But if you've visited then you should know that.
Heavy rain and flooding recently, unheard of for 25 years or so.
Education here will give your children a jump start as it is better than UK according to friends who teach.
The work ethic is ... well... different.
When I was working here I put in longer hours than UK but found I was rewarded for it.
Many locals put in long hours because the boss is still around and aren't productive during that period.
Don't know if that is the case in IT.
In fact unless you are in a high managerial position I'm surprised you have been tickled for a job here as I thought that was an area where the locals would have an edge especially as they wouldn't necessarily get all the frills of an ex pats salary and accommodation package.
There's a lot included in ex pat salary packages.
Make sure you get the norm.
Old Jul 25th 2010, 2:25 pm
Auntie Fa

Kooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond repute

My husband worked in IT (technical sales, enterprise software, well-known MNCs) and worked pretty damn hard. Spent a lot of time out of the country too.

Liked it, did six years of it, but prefers the work culture in Oz - still works very hard but enjoys it much more as people get his crappy humour.

We were always local hire but couldn't grumble about the salary (or tax).
Old Jul 25th 2010, 6:54 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by ex reg
Singapore is probably as easy an initiation to ex pat life as there is imo.
'Downside to climate may be that heat 32c during day 25c at night, my averages, and high humidity make walking outside a sweaty operation unless like me but unlike many ex pats you really acclimatise by just using fans and not a/cs. But if you've visited then you should know that.

In fact unless you are in a high managerial position I'm surprised you have been tickled for a job here as I thought that was an area where the locals would have an edge especially as they wouldn't necessarily get all the frills of an ex pats salary and accommodation package.
There's a lot included in ex pat salary packages.
Make sure you get the norm.
Reg, thanks for the comments.
Yes I am aware it is hot and sweaty but as you are aware a short term visit is a lot different to living and working there. My wife who lived there for a couple of years as a teenager assures you me that one does adjust.

As for your comment about being ticked for a job here...I wouldn't know the reasons for that. I am not senior management but I do have programming skills that are becoming rare so perhaps that is the reason.
Old Jul 25th 2010, 7:06 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Seasider
My husband worked in IT (technical sales, enterprise software, well-known MNCs) and worked pretty damn hard. Spent a lot of time out of the country too.

Liked it, did six years of it, but prefers the work culture in Oz - still works very hard but enjoys it much more as people get his crappy humour.

We were always local hire but couldn't grumble about the salary (or tax).
Fancy Oz myself, have visited there too, but cannot get in. Too old now..
Old Jul 25th 2010, 10:29 pm
BE Enthusiast

londonescapee is a glorious beacon of lightlondonescapee is a glorious beacon of lightlondonescapee is a glorious beacon of lightlondonescapee is a glorious beacon of lightlondonescapee is a glorious beacon of lightlondonescapee is a glorious beacon of lightlondonescapee is a glorious beacon of lightlondonescapee is a glorious beacon of lightlondonescapee is a glorious beacon of lightlondonescapee is a glorious beacon of lightlondonescapee is a glorious beacon of light

Hi there,

Grew up in Singapore and still visit regularly. It's still home to me after all these years There's a very big expat community (which can sometimes be cliquey but that's inevitable anywhere I guess). Low crime rates, excellent public infrastructure, medical treatment and Singaporean schools are better than the British ones if kids are in the picture at all.

Cons - it can be expensive for an expat, it is a very sterile society, and forget criticism of the government. The country still operates a single party democracy (People's Action Party), if such a thing is possible! Lee Kwan Yew ruled for what feels like forever, and his son is now in charge. This is something that my mum still struggles with (one of her friends got sent to jail for writing a play that was deemed critical of the PAP but wasn't at all!). Very hard to debate politics etc.

But Singaporeans are on the whole fine with this type of government and why not - the country is clean, prosperous in spite of the recession and imo a lovely place to live. Malaysia very easy to reach (and cheap by train too), and loads of opportunities to travel round the Far East very easily. You'll acclimatise to the temperature pretty quickly.

And the food! oh I miss the hawker centres

I'm jealous that you've got the opportunity to go, very good luck with whatever you decide

Last edited by londonescapee; Jul 25th 2010 at 10:32 pm.
Old Jul 26th 2010, 3:34 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Inselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond repute

Many people never really adapt to the climate. it can be physically draining.
We only use the AC at home when sleeping. the rest of the time we use fans

the heat/humidity nearly kill me every time I play hockey but thats my own stupid fault for being a goalkeeper.

From what I here education here is good if you can afford International schools. If you kids go to local school they will excel at maths and science but nothing else.
Old Jul 26th 2010, 8:31 am
Auntie Fa

Kooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond repute

Fancy Oz myself, have visited there too, but cannot get in. Too old now..
We actually ended up in Singapore because we initially wanted to go to Oz and had points coming out of our ears but no jobs.
Old Aug 23rd 2010, 6:39 pm
Banned

Fflinty is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi

I've recently been offered a job in Singapore (Banking) and I'd like some advice (from people who live there!) on the good places to live and schools for my two children. My kids are aged 12 and 15. Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks Flinty.
Old Aug 23rd 2010, 9:12 pm
BE Forum Addict

First decide on where your kids will go to school.

Everything will follow from that.

imo.
Old Nov 1st 2010, 5:33 pm
IRJ
Forum Regular

IRJ is just really niceIRJ is just really niceIRJ is just really niceIRJ is just really niceIRJ is just really niceIRJ is just really niceIRJ is just really niceIRJ is just really nice

Originally Posted by Fflinty
Hi

I've recently been offered a job in Singapore (Banking) and I'd like some advice (from people who live there!) on the good places to live and schools for my two children. My kids are aged 12 and 15. Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks Flinty.
In general all the international schools give an excellent education, but they are in demand! So contact the schools ASAP and ask abut the potential of gaining acceptance.

To the original request re S'pore as a place to live.

So long as your package is decent living is very good.. Membership of a club can make a focal point of leisure and social life. Tanglin Club is excellent for families and very conveniently situated. If you are a cricketer look at the Cricket Club and there are many more.
Climate needs some adjustment to, not so much because of the temps, but rather the HIGH humidity.When I played hockey for the SCC I used to lose 7-8 lbs a game in liquids (put it back in the bar after the match). Jumping in and out of air-conditioning can be debilitating.
Wives either adjust, or don't! It helps if you like the excellent range of foods available and don't try to eat 100% western. As I say wives can have a great life, but for some, they can't make the adjustment. Same as anywhere as I have seem British women in the New York area pine for home and return. Takes all types.