British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Singapore (https://britishexpats.com/forum/singapore-131/)
-   -   Need Advice-Available Jobs for a sales professional (https://britishexpats.com/forum/singapore-131/need-advice-available-jobs-sales-professional-860608/)

mdisala Jun 23rd 2015 11:19 am

Need Advice-Available Jobs for a sales professional

Hello members, I’ve searched but I couldn’t find anything related to this topic but couldn’t find any.
I am a 27 years old Sales and Marketing professional with 07 years of marketing experience, I am qualified with the professional post graduate diploma in Marketing (graduated in 2014) from chartered institute of Marketing (CIM-UK) I need to know what are the opportunities that are available in Singapore for a sales and Marketing guy like me and what kind of Salaries that I can go for?
All of your replied will be highly appreciated.
Thank you all,
Malith Disala

xizzles Jun 24th 2015 1:52 am

Re: Need Advice-Available Jobs for a sales professional

Hi Malith,

Welcome to the forum! I can't say I'm an expert in this - the Singapore today is a very different Singapore compared to the one I arrived at some 20 years ago - but here's a link to the Singapore national job database that might help you: https://www.jobsbank.gov.sg/

Bear in mind that rules for hiring foreigners have been tightened considerably, and it's no longer a "done & dusted deal" with expatriates in this city-state any more.

I've been lucky - luckier than most, I dare say - in that I got my foot in, established quite a niche for myself, and after 20 years, I can say I'm as local as the next chap digging into a delicious plate of Hainanese Chicken Rice at the hawker centre. Looking back (and without meaning to discourage you, heaven forbid), I probably wouldn't have the same opportunities today, compared to what was available to me a lifetime ago.

Good luck nonetheless, and keep us posted!

mdisala Jun 24th 2015 4:28 am

Originally Posted by xizzles (Post 11683164)
Hi Malith,

Welcome to the forum! I can't say I'm an expert in this - the Singapore today is a very different Singapore compared to the one I arrived at some 20 years ago - but here's a link to the Singapore national job database that might help you: https://www.jobsbank.gov.sg/

Bear in mind that rules for hiring foreigners have been tightened considerably, and it's no longer a "done & dusted deal" with expatriates in this city-state any more.

I've been lucky - luckier than most, I dare say - in that I got my foot in, established quite a niche for myself, and after 20 years, I can say I'm as local as the next chap digging into a delicious plate of Hainanese Chicken Rice at the hawker centre. Looking back (and without meaning to discourage you, heaven forbid), I probably wouldn't have the same opportunities today, compared to what was available to me a lifetime ago.

Good luck nonetheless, and keep us posted!

Thank you very much for your advise, what do you think of my chances of getting a job in Sales or Marketing?

xizzles Jun 24th 2015 9:55 am

Originally Posted by mdisala (Post 11683227)
Thank you very much for your advise, what do you think of my chances of getting a job in Sales or Marketing?

Hi there again.

To be honest, the job market for expatriates in Singapore isn't anywhere as rosy as it used to be. The positions are usually reserved for what the government calls "higher end" talents - usually regional directors, managing directors or senior manager levels.

They are making it rather difficult with the run-of-the-mill S passes & Employment passes, with many hoops and hurdles - least of which is a requirement that a native Singaporean be considered for that job first, before an expatriate can be. All's fair, I guess, because in the past, a lot of companies would go the easy way out and hire foreign help rather "cheaply". Because of the political backlash that followed, that is now longer the case.

Still, do NOT let what I say dampen your enthusiasm &/or spirits - if you have any local contacts here, try to give them a tinkle and see if there's a suitable position that would suit your particular skill set.

I dare say that's the way to go, rather than coming in blind to knock on doors.

Good luck!

mdisala Jun 24th 2015 10:30 am

Originally Posted by xizzles (Post 11683398)
Hi there again.

To be honest, the job market for expatriates in Singapore isn't anywhere as rosy as it used to be. The positions are usually reserved for what the government calls "higher end" talents - usually regional directors, managing directors or senior manager levels.

They are making it rather difficult with the run-of-the-mill S passes & Employment passes, with many hoops and hurdles - least of which is a requirement that a native Singaporean be considered for that job first, before an expatriate can be. All's fair, I guess, because in the past, a lot of companies would go the easy way out and hire foreign help rather "cheaply". Because of the political backlash that followed, that is now longer the case.

Still, do NOT let what I say dampen your enthusiasm &/or spirits - if you have any local contacts here, try to give them a tinkle and see if there's a suitable position that would suit your particular skill set.

Good luck!

Hi, Thank you so Much for your fast feedback!. It was surely as hell important.

mdisala Jun 24th 2015 10:34 am

Originally Posted by xizzles (Post 11683398)
Hi there again.

Good luck!

Thank you- what do you think if i get equipped with a Masters Degree and a Good level or Mandarin, will my chances of getting a job in Singapore will improve?

xizzles Jun 24th 2015 11:54 am

Originally Posted by mdisala (Post 11683420)
Thank you- what do you think if i get equipped with a Masters Degree and a Good level or Mandarin, will my chances of getting a job in Singapore will improve?

No harm trying, mate. Mandarin is always handy to have here in the City State, but you'll be competing with many local boys & girls with similar Masters Degree & whose first languages are both Mandarin and English (although, the latter is usually spoken with an accent that quite borders on the unintelligible, at least to the uninitiated :lol:)

mdisala Jun 25th 2015 5:52 am

Originally Posted by xizzles (Post 11683495)
No harm trying, mate. Mandarin is always handy to have here in the City State, but you'll be competing with many local boys & girls with similar Masters Degree & whose first languages are both Mandarin and English (although, the latter is usually spoken with an accent that quite borders on the unintelligible, at least to the uninitiated :lol:)

:goodpost::thumbsup::thumbsup:

Mlee888 Aug 9th 2015 4:21 pm

They are making it harder soon for those that want to bring their families with them with the minimum salary requirement being $5k a month for dependant passes.

That said do look on jobsdb, jobstreet and monster. Jobs are regularly posted on there and se have salary expectations too.