Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Far East and Asia > Singapore
Reload this Page >

moving to Singapore....Help with British Schools

moving to Singapore....Help with British Schools

Old Jan 27th 2012, 2:01 pm
Just Joined

AlBedri is an unknown quantity at this point
Default moving to Singapore....Help with British Schools

My husband is already in Singapore and we are wating for a school place at Tanglin Trust. Just paid our registration fee. My two boys are 8 and 10 and in a great school here in UK. I have read that people double up on school applications, so they can have a holding school until the a place at the school they want comes up. My problem is you have to pay two terms up front when a place becomes available and if you are not able to give enough notice then to the holding school you loose the the reg fee at the holding school and any advance fees paid plus needing to find the 2 terms school fees all over again.

Since we are paying for the schools and not my husbands company, I cant see a way that we could move from the uk until a place becomes available at our preffered school, the Tanglin Trust. That is without becoming financially bankrupt!

Does anyone have any advice as to the best way to approach this ?

Thank you so much
Old Jan 30th 2012, 11:25 am
Just Joined

HayleyPaling is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: moving to Singapore....Help with British Schools

First, is this a long-term assignment? If yes then there is a need to relocate.

Regarding the school policies, it is best to speak to school officials than to panic and listen to hearsays (?) because it will cost you your hard earned money. Communication is key!
Old Jan 31st 2012, 2:35 pm
BE Enthusiast

Bocat has a reputation beyond reputeBocat has a reputation beyond reputeBocat has a reputation beyond reputeBocat has a reputation beyond reputeBocat has a reputation beyond reputeBocat has a reputation beyond reputeBocat has a reputation beyond reputeBocat has a reputation beyond reputeBocat has a reputation beyond reputeBocat has a reputation beyond reputeBocat has a reputation beyond repute

Personally I'd say - "don't believe the hype"! I know Tanglin is marketed as the best of the international schools (although quite who decided this I don't know!)

Consider other schools too - there are lots of them. Are you moving to Singapore for the long term? If so, then does it really have to be a UK based school. (I know all of this depends on your children's ages etc too - but there are just so many options).

I'm from the UK and my kids are in the local school system (which comes as a major shock to most expats that I meet). The local schools are not for everyone - but please don't be sucked into the "Tanglin is the only school that's suitable" myth!

I have friends with children at various international schools so if I can help with any further info just shout .
Old Feb 4th 2012, 1:40 pm

bakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bocat

I'm from the UK and my kids are in the local school system (which comes as a major shock to most expats that I meet). The local schools are not for everyone - but please don't be sucked into the "Tanglin is the only school that's suitable" myth!
Heh heh Good for you. And I bet that your kids get on really well with local kids too and have a good smattering of Singlish. Yeh... in some ways gives them a broader outlook for real adult life in Asia huh? And who wants to go back to UK? Not me
Old Feb 5th 2012, 3:26 am
BE Enthusiast

Bocat has a reputation beyond reputeBocat has a reputation beyond reputeBocat has a reputation beyond reputeBocat has a reputation beyond reputeBocat has a reputation beyond reputeBocat has a reputation beyond reputeBocat has a reputation beyond reputeBocat has a reputation beyond reputeBocat has a reputation beyond reputeBocat has a reputation beyond reputeBocat has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Baked Bean

My younger one has a very Singaporean accent and does speak a bit of Singlish (which sometimes I find funny and sometimes it drives me mad!) My older one was only 4 when we arrived (3 years ago) but has somehow managed to hold onto his Scottish accent and doesn't really speak any Singlish either!
Old Feb 5th 2012, 9:20 am
Just Joined

ogaya will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by bakedbean
Heh heh Good for you. And I bet that your kids get on really well with local kids too and have a good smattering of Singlish. Yeh... in some ways gives them a broader outlook for real adult life in Asia huh? And who wants to go back to UK? Not me
So expat kids are allowed to go to local schools? I did not realise this. Is this only for Permanent Residents or all expats?
Old Feb 5th 2012, 12:47 pm
BE Enthusiast

Hi Ogaya

Yes - the local schools are open to everyone. Have a look on the Ministry of Education website www.moe.gov.sg.

Entry is done on a ballot system - with foreigners being last on the list - but - again- don't fall into the "oh well all the "good" schools will be gone trap. All the schools in Singapore are good. What are generally considered "good" schools are the more academic ones - but more and more Singaporean schools are moving a more holistic method of education.

This page from the MoE website gives good info on the ballot system and the list of schools in each area.

http://www.moe.gov.sg/education/prim...info-sheet.pdf
Old Feb 14th 2012, 10:04 pm
Just Joined

illoyd1 is just really niceilloyd1 is just really niceilloyd1 is just really niceilloyd1 is just really niceilloyd1 is just really niceilloyd1 is just really niceilloyd1 is just really niceilloyd1 is just really nice

Hi Baked Bean

My younger one has a very Singaporean accent and does speak a bit of Singlish (which sometimes I find funny and sometimes it drives me mad!) My older one was only 4 when we arrived (3 years ago) but has somehow managed to hold onto his Scottish accent and doesn't really speak any Singlish either!
I wonder if you would be able to advise as to which schools you recommend. We are moving from Scotland to Singapore next month and looking for advise on somewhere to put our 3 and a half year old. Do you know if most nurserys teach Jolly Phonics? Thanks
Old Feb 14th 2012, 10:52 pm
BE Enthusiast

Hi illoyd1

I don't know of any kindergartens teaching Jolly Phonics but there may well be some. They all teach phonics of some description though.

Do you know which area you're going to be living in?

There's a great Meetup group that I used when we moved here called Singapore Active Toddlers Playgroup. They have a very useful discussions board and the Mums on there are very helpful so it might be good to join and post your question on there.

http://www.meetup.com/Singapore-active-toddlers

If I can help with any other questions feel free to PM me.
Old Feb 15th 2012, 12:46 am
Just Joined

illoyd1 is just really niceilloyd1 is just really niceilloyd1 is just really niceilloyd1 is just really niceilloyd1 is just really niceilloyd1 is just really niceilloyd1 is just really niceilloyd1 is just really nice

Hi illoyd1

I don't know of any kindergartens teaching Jolly Phonics but there may well be some. They all teach phonics of some description though.

Do you know which area you're going to be living in?

There's a great Meetup group that I used when we moved here called Singapore Active Toddlers Playgroup. They have a very useful discussions board and the Mums on there are very helpful so it might be good to join and post your question on there.

http://www.meetup.com/Singapore-active-toddlers

If I can help with any other questions feel free to PM me.
I noticed that Whitelodge teach Jolly Phonics which would be essential for our return to the UK as all our local schools use this reading scheme. Thank you very much for the link and I will PM you once I work out how to do that
Old Feb 15th 2012, 12:37 pm
BE Enthusiast

Hi again

Do you know how long you're going to be in Singapore for? If it's for a few years the particular type of phonics probably won't matter - as by the time you return your wee one will be reading like a dream! Kindergartens here tend to do more academic work than the UK (not just the Singaporean ones).

To send a PM just click on the person's name and it'll give you that option. I think you have to have made a certain number of posts before you can do it though - but I'm not sure how many.

Good luck with your search. And it's no problem to answer any other questions - just ask!
Old Feb 15th 2012, 4:02 pm
Just Joined

Hi again

Do you know how long you're going to be in Singapore for? If it's for a few years the particular type of phonics probably won't matter - as by the time you return your wee one will be reading like a dream! Kindergartens here tend to do more academic work than the UK (not just the Singaporean ones).

To send a PM just click on the person's name and it'll give you that option. I think you have to have made a certain number of posts before you can do it though - but I'm not sure how many.

Good luck with your search. And it's no problem to answer any other questions - just ask!
Hello again

It would be lovely that he would be reading fluently by the time we came back but my concern would be that the school does not stretch him enough when we come back and he is bored doing the same stuff over again. Hopefully this would not happen. I think we are going to be in the River Valley are in serviced accommodation until we have the chance to find somewhere we like. I did try clicking on your name last night but hopefully after a few more posts it will work. Thank you for your replies so far it is much appreciated.
Old Mar 3rd 2012, 8:40 am
BE Forum Addict

luvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by illoyd1
I noticed that Whitelodge teach Jolly Phonics which would be essential for our return to the UK as all our local schools use this reading scheme. Thank you very much for the link and I will PM you once I work out how to do that
once you know phonics, you know them, it matters not a jot which scheme is used at either end...honestly, you are stressing too much. Choose the pre-school on having caring staff, not the phonics scheme.

I haven't lived in Singapore but I know someone who used the Canadian School and liked it. They were leaving an NZ private school background.

Last edited by luvwelly; Mar 3rd 2012 at 8:43 am.
Old Mar 6th 2012, 2:39 pm
Just Joined

jk simbob is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi,
As a few of the previous threads mention, please do not be kidded into thinking that TTS is the Bee's knees. When i moved to Sing i had two kids (5 and 8) who we had in seperate schools when we arrived due to lack of places. My 5 year old was in TTS whereas my 8 yr old went to Dover Court school whilst we waited for a place for her to join TTS. A couple of terms later when a place came up at TTS we decided to switch the other way and both my kids spent a fabulous 3 years at Dover court school. Give me a nudge if you would like more detail on this but please be aware, TTS is not the only great school in Singers, VFM is available elsewhere.
Old Apr 18th 2012, 7:19 pm
Just Joined

AlBedri is an unknown quantity at this point

Personally I'd say - "don't believe the hype"! I know Tanglin is marketed as the best of the international schools (although quite who decided this I don't know!)

Consider other schools too - there are lots of them. Are you moving to Singapore for the long term? If so, then does it really have to be a UK based school. (I know all of this depends on your children's ages etc too - but there are just so many options).

I have friends with children at various international schools so if I can help with any further info just shout .

Thank you for that. Will certainly do my home work.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.