Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Far East and Asia > Singapore
Reload this Page >

Moving to SG; any stay at home dads about?

Moving to SG; any stay at home dads about?

Old Aug 6th 2013, 5:58 pm
Just Joined

Shellskells is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Moving to SG; any stay at home dads about?

Hi everyone, we are moving over in a couple of months as I have a three year assignment with work. My hubby has taken a career break to look after our one year old. Is there any type of community of stay at home dads in Singapore?? Many thanks in advance!!
Old Aug 6th 2013, 10:06 pm
BE Enthusiast

Bocat has a reputation beyond reputeBocat has a reputation beyond reputeBocat has a reputation beyond reputeBocat has a reputation beyond reputeBocat has a reputation beyond reputeBocat has a reputation beyond reputeBocat has a reputation beyond reputeBocat has a reputation beyond reputeBocat has a reputation beyond reputeBocat has a reputation beyond reputeBocat has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving to SG; any stay at home dads about?

Hi Shellskells

I use www.meetup.com a lot in Singapore. I was previously a member of a group on there called Singapore Active Toddlers which had a few stay at home Dad members.

I finally got round to leaving the group just last week (as mine are too old now) or I could have checked on the members for you.

I hope your hubby finds somewhere to mix with other SAHDs.
Old Aug 8th 2013, 9:29 am
Just Joined

Many thanks!
Old Aug 14th 2013, 7:55 pm
Just Joined

ctfarrer is an unknown quantity at this point

We are relocating next month and my hubby will be a stay at home for the first couple of months. We have a 1.5 yr old and a 3.5 yr old. Send me a message on <snip> if your hubby wants someone to explore the city with....

Last edited by Sue; Aug 15th 2013 at 1:56 pm. Reason: Best to share your email address via PM rather than post it on the public forum (might get spambots picking it up)
Old Aug 17th 2013, 5:51 am

Yorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond repute

Hi there....I was a stay at home dad in Singapore a few years back. At that time there were quite a few of us...some that had chosen to go that way, some that had fallen into it on the back of their wife being posted there. There wasn't a community as such, but we tended to find each other through friends, friends of friends, Gymboree, playgroups etc. Its quite a small place.....

I also met quite a few through a place in Tanglin Mall that had a drop in service run by British expat nurses/midwives. They were great, especially when mine was a newborn. You may be beyond that age, but it could be a good point of contact...they used to have a notice board you could post on (this was pre-facebook/meetup etc). Can't for the life of me remember the name, but someone on here might. Of course, it may well have closed down by now!

In general, I found it easy being in that situation there...certainly a lot easier and less judgemental than where I am now(Texas)!
Old Aug 17th 2013, 5:56 am

Yorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond repute

Remembered the name...the mother and child center...I just googled them, and they are still going, but look a lot more "businesslike" than when I knew them....and I don't mean that in a nasty way...( they were so helpful to me and i would never say anything but the highest praise for them!)...just that they look to have grown considerably.
Old Aug 29th 2013, 1:57 pm
Just Joined

Thanks so much!
Old Aug 29th 2013, 1:59 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by ctfarrer
We are relocating next month and my hubby will be a stay at home for the first couple of months. We have a 1.5 yr old and a 3.5 yr old. Send me a message on <snip> if your hubby wants someone to explore the city with....
Hi, apparent,y I can't PM you until I have three posts....should be soon..

We are in SG right now doing our house hunt. It would be great to swap, detailed, thanks!