Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Far East and Asia > Singapore
Reload this Page >

Mountain with a restaurant?

Mountain with a restaurant?

Old Jul 20th 2011, 1:02 pm
We're HERE!!!

Kija has a reputation beyond reputeKija has a reputation beyond reputeKija has a reputation beyond reputeKija has a reputation beyond reputeKija has a reputation beyond reputeKija has a reputation beyond reputeKija has a reputation beyond reputeKija has a reputation beyond reputeKija has a reputation beyond reputeKija has a reputation beyond reputeKija has a reputation beyond repute
Default Mountain with a restaurant?

Hi everyone.

We might be stopping over in Singapore on our way to New Zealand and I was wondering about a famous mountain with a restaurant there. I tried googling but nothing looked familliar! I lived there as a child in the early 70's and remember going to this amazing open air restaurant with my parents, I remember it was a big deal as it was very famous. I even have some photos of the view from the mountain. Does this sound familliar to anyone there now? Does it still exist? Would love to revisit!
Old Jul 20th 2011, 1:47 pm
221b Baker Street

Sherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Mountain with a restaurant?

Originally Posted by Kija
Hi everyone.

We might be stopping over in Singapore on our way to New Zealand and I was wondering about a famous mountain with a restaurant there. I tried googling but nothing looked familliar! I lived there as a child in the early 70's and remember going to this amazing open air restaurant with my parents, I remember it was a big deal as it was very famous. I even have some photos of the view from the mountain. Does this sound familliar to anyone there now? Does it still exist? Would love to revisit!
I did find this...not sure if it is the right one though:

"Mount Faber

Mount Faber offers superb panoramic views of Sentosa, the harbour, islands to the south as well as the busy central district. It is also home of the Merlion, Singapore’s mythical symbol which sits on top of the hill. Many people go up there to enjoy the scenery then take a cable car to Sentosa for more amazing views along the way. For those who love good food, Mount Faber features some well-recognised dining venues including Jewel Box, Altivo Bar, Faber Hill Bistro and the Glass Bar. Over the weekends, there are quite a number of hikers using different trials to go up to the top which can also be accessed by road.

Read more: Singapore’s Parks & Gardens - Singapore Attractions http://www-singapore.com/attractions...#ixzz1SeY4FouB

Any use?
Old Jul 22nd 2011, 11:48 am

Englishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond repute
Question Re: Mountain with a restaurant?

Er...there aren't any mountains in Singapore....they do have some hills though (including 'Mount Faber')

I'm wondering if you're thinking of the old colonial building the 'Alkaff Mansion' where they did the Dutch Indonesian fare 'ristjaffel' (had to guess the spelling)?

http://www.streetdirectory.com/trave...ff_mansion.php

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:AlkaffMansion.jpg
Old Jul 22nd 2011, 1:54 pm
We're HERE!!!

Kija has a reputation beyond reputeKija has a reputation beyond reputeKija has a reputation beyond reputeKija has a reputation beyond reputeKija has a reputation beyond reputeKija has a reputation beyond reputeKija has a reputation beyond reputeKija has a reputation beyond reputeKija has a reputation beyond reputeKija has a reputation beyond reputeKija has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by alistairboyle
I did find this...not sure if it is the right one though:

"Mount Faber

Mount Faber offers superb panoramic views of Sentosa, the harbour, islands to the south as well as the busy central district. It is also home of the Merlion, Singapore’s mythical symbol which sits on top of the hill. Many people go up there to enjoy the scenery then take a cable car to Sentosa for more amazing views along the way. For those who love good food, Mount Faber features some well-recognised dining venues including Jewel Box, Altivo Bar, Faber Hill Bistro and the Glass Bar. Over the weekends, there are quite a number of hikers using different trials to go up to the top which can also be accessed by road.

Read more: Singapore’s Parks & Gardens - Singapore Attractions http://www-singapore.com/attractions...#ixzz1SeY4FouB

Any use?
Thanks very much! That could be it, I did get Mount Faber in a google search but all the restaurants seemed pretty new and not very familliar. I'll try to dig up the photos and post them here. Thanks again Alistair!
Old Jul 22nd 2011, 1:56 pm
We're HERE!!!

Originally Posted by Englishmum
Er...there aren't any mountains in Singapore....they do have some hills though (including 'Mount Faber')

I'm wondering if you're thinking of the old colonial building the 'Alkaff Mansion' where they did the Dutch Indonesian fare 'ristjaffel' (had to guess the spelling)?

http://www.streetdirectory.com/trave...ff_mansion.php

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:AlkaffMansion.jpg
Nope, doesn't look familliar But definitely looks interesting! You mentioned "they did the Dutch Indonesian fare", have they closed? Seems like a lovely place to visit. Thanks
Old Jul 25th 2011, 6:36 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Inselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond repute

maybe Fort Canning although not exactly a mountain
Old Jul 30th 2011, 12:52 pm
Banned

sgbroll is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Kija
Hi everyone.

If it is four decades ago, it is definitely gone, or at least has shifted to another location. I don't think you can even recognise S'pore when you land.
Old Aug 2nd 2011, 4:52 pm

Domino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sgbroll
If it is four decades ago, it is definitely gone, or at least has shifted to another location. I don't think you can even recognise S'pore when you land.
unless ex military it will be a different airport