Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Far East and Asia > Singapore
Reload this Page >

More than one employer on a DP or options

More than one employer on a DP or options

Old Jun 28th 2018, 9:00 am
Just Joined

CStorey is an unknown quantity at this point
Unhappy More than one employer on a DP or options

Hello everyone,

You guys helped me initially when I was in the beginning stages of getting out here - so thank you all very much for your responses.

My husband and I are now married (we took your advice and tied the knot before coming out!), he is on an EP and I'm his dependant. I am currently working as a yoga instructor which I love, and its only 15-18 hours a week contract leaving loads of free time. I really wanted to keep my CV fresh and do some marketing/sales seeing as I have so much spare time. I found the perfect part time job at a small company who have offered me a position, it would work alongside my yoga hours. Issue I am now facing however is that I have an LOC (letter of consent) for my yoga company, which means I cannot get another.....

The other company have suggested I look at opening a private limited company and then they would contract my services under that, but that seems to be a dead end as well. Does anyone have any experience of this and can advise if possible or not?

I would love to take the part time marketing position, but I couldn't survive on that salary alone. The yoga salary is decent and can live on it, but would be nice to be earning a bit more. In an ideal world I would do both and be on a very good wage, but there doesn't seem to be a way I can see that would make it work.

I would also be prepared to cancel my DP and fund my own EP/S-Pass through either company. Not sure if that would make it any better though and if I would have the option to have two jobs on that either...!?

Any insight would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance!
Old Jun 29th 2018, 9:14 am
Auntie Fa

Kooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: More than one employer on a DP or options

Hi, I didn't run a company (sole trader) when I was on a DP, I did it as a PR. From the googling I've just done I think it used to be possible on a DP but no longer is. If I were you I'd ask MOM, as there is a lot of conflicting / out of date info in web land.
Old Jul 11th 2018, 4:47 am
Forum Regular

Froggybarnacle2000 has a reputation beyond reputeFroggybarnacle2000 has a reputation beyond reputeFroggybarnacle2000 has a reputation beyond reputeFroggybarnacle2000 has a reputation beyond reputeFroggybarnacle2000 has a reputation beyond reputeFroggybarnacle2000 has a reputation beyond reputeFroggybarnacle2000 has a reputation beyond reputeFroggybarnacle2000 has a reputation beyond reputeFroggybarnacle2000 has a reputation beyond reputeFroggybarnacle2000 has a reputation beyond reputeFroggybarnacle2000 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: More than one employer on a DP or options

Hi CStorey, yes you can open a private limited company. Your husband can be the director since he is the EP holder. You will be listed as an employee in this company, so as a matter of course keep your DP. Any legitimate corporate service group in Singapore will be able to do this. I shan’t go through the tedious details (UEN number, Corp Pass, first annual general meeting, blah blah blah), the service group should help you with all this. I think one minor hitch you will have is how to adequately describe the service that your company provides (yoga and marketing).

Once you have established this pte ltd company with your husband you will have to open a company bank account as well, most banks ask for S$3-5k initial deposit for a company account. All fees paid to you must go into this account. Get a company stamp/ chop made. When the pte ltd company is established you will also have to immediately get your current ACRA number deleted (I’m assuming you have this for your yoga business). Your current LOC should also be cancelled. The service group should be able to help you do these, and also help you file a new LOC with MOM using the new company. Then the company with whom you would like to work will contract your services through your new company.

I’m speaking from experience. The rules indeed changed over two years ago. In 2008 it was very easy for me as an expat with a DP to set up a sole proprietorship. Then in 2016 the MOM decreed that only Singapore citizens and PRs could now have sole proprietorships. Hence the transition to pte ltd. So am still working legitimately and paying taxes in Sg. Good luck.