British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Singapore (https://britishexpats.com/forum/singapore-131/)
-   -   Medical insurance with pre existing condition - help! (https://britishexpats.com/forum/singapore-131/medical-insurance-pre-existing-condition-help-914392/)

Helsy Jun 28th 2018 7:03 pm

Medical insurance with pre existing condition - help!

Hi all,

My husband and I are looking to relocate to Singapore in the next six to twelve months. We both work for companies with offices in Singapore that allow internal moves and so with all the research etc. We're excited to firm up some plans.

Here comes the but..... My husband has Ulcerative Colitis that requires medical treatment every eight weeks. It's medication administered in the hospital and takes about one hour. We can't find any insurance company that would cover this. Is there anyone out there that had a condition that required regular treatment and how did you resolve this / how are you managing in Singapore?

Any information is really appreciated as we're thinking that this may actually stop the move.

Thank you all! :)

ex reg Jun 29th 2018 7:49 am

Re: Medical insurance with pre existing condition - help!

No doubt the treatment is available in Singapore.

No doubt the treatment will be very expensive.

Can the company claim under their insurance.

Otherwise I can't see an insurance company taking on an individual who will cost them money unless the premium is high enough to cover it.

uk_grenada Jun 29th 2018 8:34 am

Find out what the treatment will cost, thats what you will have to pay, and expect that this condition and any consequences will be excluded from insurance. You can then insure on that basis, but you may find out its not financially viable to move.

Mlee888 Jan 16th 2019 7:00 am

Might be a good idea to check with NHS if the cost of treatment can be transferred over to the UK. They have similar agreements with some health services around the world but not sure if SG is one of them.

Pollyana Jan 16th 2019 7:44 am

Originally Posted by Mlee888 (Post 12622334)
Might be a good idea to check with NHS if the cost of treatment can be transferred over to the UK. They have similar agreements with some health services around the world but not sure if SG is one of them.

Why should the NHS fund it? Once a person is no longer a UK resident they are not covered by the NHS. Some countries do have a reciprocal arrangement with the U K covering emergency care but I don't see this falling into that category.

Mlee888 Jan 16th 2019 8:14 am

It was a suggestion only. If there’s no agreement then there’s nothing that can be done and OP will need to cover cost.

Pollyana Jan 16th 2019 9:26 am

Originally Posted by Mlee888 (Post 12622360)
It was a suggestion only. If there’s no agreement then there’s nothing that can be done and OP will need to cover cost.

Even with a reciprocal agreement its only going to cover emergency care though.

Mlee888 Jan 16th 2019 9:32 am

Originally Posted by Pollyana (Post 12622386)

Even with a reciprocal agreement its only going to cover emergency care though.

As mentioned, it was a suggestion to ask only. I don’t know how it works but it was an idea that OP might want to look into, there’s no harm in me suggesting this.

You seem to know a lot more about this than I so why not provide some other suggestions

Clivem Jan 28th 2019 9:59 am

Unfortunately private medical insurance won't cover this if cover was extended to your husband it would be done with an exclusion for this and possibly any conditions relating to the alimentary canal as a whole. NHS cover wouldn't extend to Singapore either. The best option would be through your company. If a company scheme is big enough then they can elect to have medical history ignored for applicants. This would mean that your husband was added to the company schme without the need to declare this condition. The basis for this is that when a company scheme is big enough any cases like this are offset by other schme mebers who rarely or never claim. I would recommend that you check with your HR department and find out if this is the case in Singapore. If not then you would need to fund the treatment yourselves.

Singapore has excelent medical facilities and your husband would receive fantastic treatment though it is expensive. If you were funding it yourselves I would consider popping over to Malaysia for the treatment where it would be almost as good and considerably cheaper. Malaysia has excellent facilities and doctors most of whom are trained in the UK or the US.

As a final note if either of you were French then you could continue to pay into the French state system and you'd receive coverage overseas, which can be extended to family members.

Hope this helps
Clive