Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Far East and Asia > Singapore
Reload this Page >

Leasing a car in Sinagpore

Leasing a car in Sinagpore

Old Aug 23rd 2012, 8:33 am
Forum Regular

CazYaz is an unknown quantity at this point
Question Leasing a car in Sinagpore

Hi Folks,
Planning to move to Singapore shortly (Oct) & considering leasing a car rather than buying. Taxi's everyday to work will just be too costly, and the freedom of weekends are a must.

Most of the car leasing websites don't put costs up, so wondering if anyone knows the price of say a Suzuki Swift / Honda Jazz type car for 2 years.

Ta
Old Aug 23rd 2012, 10:53 pm
Forum Regular

Harlow Lad has much to be proud ofHarlow Lad has much to be proud ofHarlow Lad has much to be proud ofHarlow Lad has much to be proud ofHarlow Lad has much to be proud ofHarlow Lad has much to be proud ofHarlow Lad has much to be proud ofHarlow Lad has much to be proud ofHarlow Lad has much to be proud ofHarlow Lad has much to be proud ofHarlow Lad has much to be proud of
Default Re: Leasing a car in Sinagpore

Hi cazyaz, you probably looking at around s$1300 and above. Hope this help.
Old Aug 25th 2012, 1:57 am
Forum Regular

Cheers for that - although 750 pounds a month is a lot to budget for.
Old Aug 27th 2012, 8:01 am
BE Enthusiast

Bocat has a reputation beyond reputeBocat has a reputation beyond reputeBocat has a reputation beyond reputeBocat has a reputation beyond reputeBocat has a reputation beyond reputeBocat has a reputation beyond reputeBocat has a reputation beyond reputeBocat has a reputation beyond reputeBocat has a reputation beyond reputeBocat has a reputation beyond reputeBocat has a reputation beyond repute

Car ownership/leasing in Singapore is not cheap. We lease a Kia Cerato. Paid $1200 for two years then signed up again for another two years at $1000 per month.

You can buy an older car much cheaper - but obviously you're than responsible for all servicing, repairs etc. We have a Kia Picanto (2006) which we pay $435 for a month.
Old Aug 28th 2012, 4:11 am

bakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond repute

I think I'm right in saying that Singapore is the most costly place in the world to own a car, so I can imagine that hiring is going to be expensive as well.

The public transport system is great though, and plenty of taxis. Why not try it out? We always used to drive in the UK. When we moved to Singapore we got about in taxis and MRT and, quite honestly, it worked well. The infrastructure is great.

Could try and get a regular taxi driver who will pick you up each morning. We did this for a while.
Old Aug 28th 2012, 4:18 am
Forum Regular

Harlow Lad has much to be proud ofHarlow Lad has much to be proud ofHarlow Lad has much to be proud ofHarlow Lad has much to be proud ofHarlow Lad has much to be proud ofHarlow Lad has much to be proud ofHarlow Lad has much to be proud ofHarlow Lad has much to be proud ofHarlow Lad has much to be proud ofHarlow Lad has much to be proud ofHarlow Lad has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by bakedbean
I think I'm right in saying that Singapore is the most costly place in the world to own a car, so I can imagine that hiring is going to be expensive as well.

The public transport system is great though, and plenty of taxis. Why not try it out? We always used to drive in the UK. When we moved to Singapore we got about in taxis and MRT and, quite honestly, it worked well. The infrastructure is great.

Could try and get a regular taxi driver who will pick you up each morning. We did this for a while.
Very true bb. The public system is brilliant. Unfortunately its not suitable for everyone. If you have little one going to commute with you during the rush hours forget the MRT. Your best bet is taxi with little children.

Just curious Cazyaz, whats ur situation? Any little child involving here?

Last edited by Harlow Lad; Aug 28th 2012 at 5:20 am.
Old Aug 28th 2012, 5:23 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Bocat
Car ownership/leasing in Singapore is not cheap. We lease a Kia Cerato. Paid $1200 for two years then signed up again for another two years at $1000 per month.

You can buy an older car much cheaper - but obviously you're than responsible for all servicing, repairs etc. We have a Kia Picanto (2006) which we pay $435 for a month.
$435 per month don't exist anymore. Even in the second hand market.
Old Aug 29th 2012, 7:07 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Harlow Lad
Very true bb. The public system is brilliant. Unfortunately its not suitable for everyone. If you have little one going to commute with you during the rush hours forget the MRT. Your best bet is taxi with little children.

Just curious Cazyaz, whats ur situation? Any little child involving here?
Hi Harlow Lad,
Just 3 of us - 1 daughter 11yrs old.
My office will be in Jurong, hence the taxi issue. We are thinking of staying in the Newton / Novena area just to be reasonable for schooling etc, better I travel ages as opposed to daughter.
Old Aug 29th 2012, 8:55 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by CazYaz
Hi Harlow Lad,
Just 3 of us - 1 daughter 11yrs old.
My office will be in Jurong, hence the taxi issue. We are thinking of staying in the Newton / Novena area just to be reasonable for schooling etc, better I travel ages as opposed to daughter.
You be fine without a car. Well unless the company pay for it then it a difference matter.

Plenty of international schools around that area close by like Bukit Timah.
Old Aug 29th 2012, 9:58 am
BE Enthusiast

Bocat has a reputation beyond reputeBocat has a reputation beyond reputeBocat has a reputation beyond reputeBocat has a reputation beyond reputeBocat has a reputation beyond reputeBocat has a reputation beyond reputeBocat has a reputation beyond reputeBocat has a reputation beyond reputeBocat has a reputation beyond reputeBocat has a reputation beyond reputeBocat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Harlow Lad
$435 per month don't exist anymore. Even in the second hand market.
Harlow Lad - we only bought the car 3 weeks ago so deals are out there.

We bought from one of the car sales places at Turf City.
Old Aug 30th 2012, 9:07 am
Forum Regular

Harlow Lad - we only bought the car 3 weeks ago so deals are out there.

We bought from one of the car sales places at Turf City.
OPC?
Old Aug 31st 2012, 2:56 am
BE Enthusiast

Nope! We just went around asking what was available for around $450 per month - non-OPC. There weren't many but there were a few available.

Again - you have to not think about what a car like this would cost back home as it'll just make you cry. This is a 2006 Kia Picanto and we're paying a lot for it - but as my American friends would say - you just have to suck it up in Singapore!
Old Aug 31st 2012, 3:15 am
Forum Regular

Nope! We just went around asking what was available for around $450 per month - non-OPC. There weren't many but there were a few available.

Again - you have to not think about what a car like this would cost back home as it'll just make you cry. This is a 2006 Kia Picanto and we're paying a lot for it - but as my American friends would say - you just have to suck it up in Singapore!
True. You got to pay the high price here for conveniency. I would of imagine its only cost about £1500 back home for the same thing.

Its a shame this quirky little thing not available on the island.
Attached Thumbnails Leasing a car in Sinagpore-twizy_2240491c.jpeg  
Old Sep 1st 2012, 2:17 am
Forum Regular

Hi Bocat, is that $435per month for lease or purchase and over how long if you don't mind us asking ? thx
Old Sep 3rd 2012, 1:50 am
BE Enthusiast

Hi CazYaz

It's for purchase. You'll pay more for leasing but then your servicing, road tax and insurance are included.

Another tip - try and find your own insurance if you buy. The company we bought from were coming up with quotes of around $2000 but my husband got it himself - through Aviva I think - for just under $600.

The car only has 4 years left on it's CoE (do you know about the CoE?) Therefore the loan is over 4 years at which point the car will be handed over to the government who then give us some money back (I can't remember how much).

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.