Housing/Areas...help!

Old Jan 21st 2016, 2:24 pm
Just Joined

tricky17 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Housing/Areas...help!

Hi all,

I am sure that this question has been asked before...so apologies, but wanted to see if you guys could help with some advice?

I am going to be moving to Singapore for a 2 year work assignment in the next couple of months with my wife and baby daughter.

I have only been to Singapore once on a short trip so didnt really get to see much of what it has to offer, or the areas that would suit us best to live.

We would be looking at approx $6500/mth budget. We are early 30's, like eating/drinking out, are both really active and would ideally like to live in an area with a good expat community where we can get involved and make some friends!

Any help, advise, wise-words would greatfully received!

Looking forward to see what the place has to offer.

Cheers.
Old Jan 21st 2016, 10:09 pm

bakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Housing/Areas...help!

Hello and welcome to the forum

I no longer live in Singapore so will let those on the ground give you their recommendations. It's a very social place and I imagine you will have a ball.
Old Jan 22nd 2016, 12:05 am
BE Forum Addict

ex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond repute

Your budget will allow you to choose just about anywhere and get a good 3 bedroom condo Apartment.
Of course there are many possibilities to spend much more or less.
Expat communities are just about in all condos.

And most if not all condos have good gyms.
Old Jan 22nd 2016, 7:35 am
Just Joined

Thanks both, appreciate the feedback.

Holland Village has been mentioned a few times - anyone any comments?
Old Jan 22nd 2016, 7:53 am
BE Forum Addict

ex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by tricky17
Thanks both, appreciate the feedback.

Holland Village has been mentioned a few times - anyone any comments?
As good as many.

Lot of eating places and bars, although a bit expensive imo, a good Cold Storage supermarket and local wet market.
MRT station and on bus routes into town.

Trying to think of any new condos in the vicinity, but close by a lot of expensive ish landed property.
Old Jan 22nd 2016, 8:25 am
Just Joined

Thanks again.

Another one that has been mentioned is Keppel Bay?

Guessing that may be a bit on the expensive side somewhat!?
Old Jan 22nd 2016, 8:28 am

bakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond repute

You might want to think about where your work base is, and plan a good journey. I mean, if you were working in Changi, might not be the smartest move to find a place over on the West side. Sorry, I know that's a bit obvious, but might be worth considering the journey to work.
Old Jan 22nd 2016, 8:34 am
Just Joined

No thanks, I would be working on the westside.

Most areas that i have looked into so far seem to suggest a commute of 20-30 mins, guessing realistically around office hours that would be more like 60 mins or worse?
Old Jan 22nd 2016, 8:50 am
BE Forum Addict

Thanks again.

Another one that has been mentioned is Keppel Bay?

Guessing that may be a bit on the expensive side somewhat!?
There again as good as many.
Not overly expensive.

If someone has recommended somewhere then fair enough.

You can put forward anywhere and they are as good as many.

One way to cut the possibilities down is as bb suggested.
Old Feb 14th 2016, 7:00 pm
BE Enthusiast

Parnell has a reputation beyond reputeParnell has a reputation beyond reputeParnell has a reputation beyond reputeParnell has a reputation beyond reputeParnell has a reputation beyond reputeParnell has a reputation beyond reputeParnell has a reputation beyond reputeParnell has a reputation beyond reputeParnell has a reputation beyond reputeParnell has a reputation beyond reputeParnell has a reputation beyond repute

Where are recommended areas in terms of family focused?

Looking at 4 bed condo with parking for 2 cars.

Where are the areas with gardens and parks and cycling ways?

Not sure on budget but assume around $120k per year? Hard to say until looking at quality of rental and preference is to buy after aclimatising.
Old Feb 23rd 2016, 2:31 pm
Forum Regular

Mlee888 has a reputation beyond reputeMlee888 has a reputation beyond reputeMlee888 has a reputation beyond reputeMlee888 has a reputation beyond reputeMlee888 has a reputation beyond reputeMlee888 has a reputation beyond reputeMlee888 has a reputation beyond reputeMlee888 has a reputation beyond reputeMlee888 has a reputation beyond reputeMlee888 has a reputation beyond reputeMlee888 has a reputation beyond repute

Kep Bay is by Harbourfront, will take about 45 mins to get to West Coast on train.

Holland Village will be quicker and is an expat village. For more local living why not consider places like Clementi?
Old Jul 21st 2016, 7:28 pm
Just Joined

Aaronsarah is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi all,

I am sure that this question has been asked before...so apologies, but wanted to see if you guys could help with some advice?

I am going to be moving to Singapore for a 2 year work assignment in the next couple of months with my wife and baby daughter.

I have only been to Singapore once on a short trip so didnt really get to see much of what it has to offer, or the areas that would suit us best to live.

We would be looking at approx $6500/mth budget. We are early 30's, like eating/drinking out, are both really active and would ideally like to live in an area with a good expat community where we can get involved and make some friends!

Any help, advise, wise-words would greatfully received!

Looking forward to see what the place has to offer.

Cheers.
Hi,
I hope you don't mind me jumping on the back of this but my partner and I will be coming over at the end of the month for an interview with hope the job will be in the bag. We were just wandering how you found meeting people as it will be my partner working and me with a 1 year old. I have been reading that it's easy enough to meet people in similar situations but as a 'newby' yourself I was wandering how you have found it?
Many thanks
Old Jul 22nd 2016, 12:47 am
Just Joined

Luk3yboy is an unknown quantity at this point

OP - just checking - I assume the $6500 budget is for housing only, not total budget? If so, as others have said you could live anywhere. Check out D'Leedon condo, it's 5 mins from Holland Village, very new, great for families.

You mention space for 2 cars - bear in mind it is hideously expensive to drive here, check car prices online and also remember there is COE to pay which essentially means cars are triple the price. For a 2 year placement it may not be worth the outlay.

Your best bet is to get a property agent, especially for your first place. Give them your requirements and they will find a range of places for you, take you round, negotiate, set up your services etc. Much easier and less hassle than doing it yourself, you just pay them a month's rent as payment. I have someone I used who was great, PM me if you want his details.

Gardens are fairly spread out but don't expect lots of rolling green fields like home, there just isn't the space here.
Old Jul 22nd 2016, 3:56 am
Just Joined

Hi Aaronsarah (and anyone else who is interested),

An update - the move went ahead, we have been here since April and it is the best thing we ever did.

When we came over we met with an agent and viewed 12 places in a day (many of which are mentioned above).

The last place that we viewed was on Sentosa, at the W Residencies and we instantly fell in love with it!

It is great living there, loads of families, good pool/facilities, right on the beach, next to the Quayside Isle bars and restaurants.

My daughter absolutely loves it and there are loads of mums in the same position as my wife, so she has met loads of people too.

With regards, to the mum/baby stuff – what you have heard is right, it is very easy to meet people and with lots in a similar position, everyone has been very welcoming.

What I would say is that my wife made the effort to go and meet people from the outset – baby groups, play dates, meeting up with mums for a coffee – whatever.

She joined Singapore Wife’s facebook group and just got talking to people. Someone is always arranging something and you can just turn up.

If you do that you will meet loads of people. Some of the stuff you may think “I’m not doing that again” but through going she has made a lot of new friends (her and my daughter both) and they now meet up at the pre-arranged things and also on their own.

If you have any other questions that we can help with as “newbies” give me a shout.

Cheers,
Rick.
Old Jul 22nd 2016, 7:51 am
Just Joined

Aaronsarah is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Aaronsarah (and anyone else who is interested),

An update - the move went ahead, we have been here since April and it is the best thing we ever did.

When we came over we met with an agent and viewed 12 places in a day (many of which are mentioned above).

The last place that we viewed was on Sentosa, at the W Residencies and we instantly fell in love with it!

It is great living there, loads of families, good pool/facilities, right on the beach, next to the Quayside Isle bars and restaurants.

My daughter absolutely loves it and there are loads of mums in the same position as my wife, so she has met loads of people too.

With regards, to the mum/baby stuff – what you have heard is right, it is very easy to meet people and with lots in a similar position, everyone has been very welcoming.

What I would say is that my wife made the effort to go and meet people from the outset – baby groups, play dates, meeting up with mums for a coffee – whatever.

She joined Singapore Wife’s facebook group and just got talking to people. Someone is always arranging something and you can just turn up.

If you do that you will meet loads of people. Some of the stuff you may think “I’m not doing that again” but through going she has made a lot of new friends (her and my daughter both) and they now meet up at the pre-arranged things and also on their own.

If you have any other questions that we can help with as “newbies” give me a shout.

Cheers,
Rick.
That's some fantastic advice thanks Rick, just got to have all fingers and toes crossed for the interview process now :-)
thanks again
Sarah

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.