Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Far East and Asia > Singapore
Reload this Page >

Here I come... for a few days

Here I come... for a few days

Old Sep 4th 2016, 12:15 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute
Default Here I come... for a few days

I have to go to Singapore with work for a few days next month. I'll be there for four days.

I'll have roughly 1-2 free days/nights in total. What's worth seeing?
Old Sep 7th 2016, 11:02 pm

bakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Here I come... for a few days

What to see in one day? That's difficult and really depends on what your interests are I guess.

I think you can get one of these See Singapore tours on a bus, if you want to do a whistle-stop tour around.

Where will you be staying? Give us a clue. If you're not interested in the tour, just get a map from the hotel. There will be free ones all over the show. And just leg it outside and look around. Will be something.
Old Sep 8th 2016, 1:50 am
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

Originally Posted by Millhouse
I have to go to Singapore with work for a few days next month. I'll be there for four days.

I'll have roughly 1-2 free days/nights in total. What's worth seeing?
Years ago now but we did the night zoo. It was busy but quite good.

Also perhaps do a city tour . That way you get to relax & see a bit at the same time.

If military interests , then a tip to Sentosa via the cable cae and a potter around Fort Siloso is quite good. My husband's uncle was actually posted there and has a rather disturbing photo of himself playing football with .....erm... a head. Yes. I did write that.

Sentosa itself is OK I suppose . I'm not a fan.
Old Sep 10th 2016, 3:01 pm
wish I wasn't here!

Sparkleydiva has a reputation beyond reputeSparkleydiva has a reputation beyond reputeSparkleydiva has a reputation beyond reputeSparkleydiva has a reputation beyond reputeSparkleydiva has a reputation beyond reputeSparkleydiva has a reputation beyond reputeSparkleydiva has a reputation beyond reputeSparkleydiva has a reputation beyond reputeSparkleydiva has a reputation beyond reputeSparkleydiva has a reputation beyond reputeSparkleydiva has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BEVS
Years ago now but we did the night zoo. It was busy but quite good.

Also perhaps do a city tour . That way you get to relax & see a bit at the same time.

If military interests , then a tip to Sentosa via the cable cae and a potter around Fort Siloso is quite good. My husband's uncle was actually posted there and has a rather disturbing photo of himself playing football with .....erm... a head. Yes. I did write that.

Sentosa itself is OK I suppose . I'm not a fan.
Not keen on Sentosa either but did enjoy the night zoo, although was a few years ago too

Plenty to see/do - china town - good street food there, shopping of course, Raffles, Chimes, Clarke Quay...good atmosphere in the evening there

Most of it is walkable
Old Sep 10th 2016, 11:28 pm

bakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond repute

I never get bored there, and I go quite often. It really depends on what Millhouse likes....but he's not saying

Yes, Chinatown is good for just wandering around. Little India too. And both of these places are central (presumably not far from where Millhouse is staying??).

Or do something different...get out into the heartlands and see how most folks live. I went over to Holland Village on my last trip (now on the MRT!!) and had a wander about.

There's also loads of parks and green areas. Have a browse on the National parks site:
https://www.nparks.gov.sg/

Get a taxi over to Katong (not on MRT just yet) and take a look at the old Peranakan buildings up and around Joo Chiat. Do some shopping at Parkway Parade. Walk down to East Coast Park and have a stroll by the sea.
Old Sep 11th 2016, 5:04 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute

Hello

Sorry for the late reply! It's been a holiday here.

So... Turns out I'm staying in the Mandarin Oriental. Girlfriend is coming with me so it will be some sightseeing and food stuf - no four floors stuff.

I love the night zoo idea. Not so keen on bus tours. Also some fake shopping would be good.

I'm a simple tourist
Old Sep 11th 2016, 5:06 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Millhouse
Hello

Sorry for the late reply! It's been a holiday here.

So... Turns out I'm staying in the Mandarin Oriental. Girlfriend is coming with me so it will be some sightseeing and food stuf - no four floors stuff.

I love the night zoo idea. Not so keen on bus tours. Also some fake shopping would be good.

I'm a simple tourist
... And military idea is a great one. I would check that out.
Old Sep 11th 2016, 11:44 pm

Singapore is very geared up with tourism. When you arrive at the airport you'll find heaps of stands full of free maps, brochures with ideas of places to visit. And, if you get stuck with anything, go see the concierge in the hotel and get some tips and pointers.
Old Sep 24th 2016, 8:39 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Perfect. Thanks for all your help.

Is there a market that will sell fakes?
Old Oct 20th 2016, 1:51 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Cracking place - and thanks for the tips. I loved it.

Sadly, didn't have as much downtime as I hoped, managed only Longs Bar, Marina Bay Square rooftop bar, China Town, Bogis street, Demsey Hill, Botanical Gardens and Orchard Road.

Top notch city - would consider living there, but by jesus it is expensive - prices for almost everything (including the street food) were more than Dubai which I was surprised at.