Help - Housing

Old May 5th 2015, 9:13 am
BE Enthusiast

xizzles has a reputation beyond reputexizzles has a reputation beyond reputexizzles has a reputation beyond reputexizzles has a reputation beyond reputexizzles has a reputation beyond reputexizzles has a reputation beyond reputexizzles has a reputation beyond reputexizzles has a reputation beyond reputexizzles has a reputation beyond reputexizzles has a reputation beyond reputexizzles has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Help - Housing

Hi Luke,

For $2,000 to $2,500 per month, you might be looking at renting in what the locals here call the HDB (Housing Development Board) flats. HDB is essentially public housing, but to be honest, the quality is far better than some of the council/affordable houses I've seen elsewhere.

The main toss of the coin here is whether you'll end up with a good neighbour, or one from hell... and there are enough stories splashed out in the tabloids about eccentric neighbours who either keep too many pets or hoard rubbish in their little flats - but, mercifully, as it is with many things in the press, these are far and few in actual numbers, and are milked for all the tabloid-selling publicity they're worth.

How old is your kid? If your child is of primary school going age, cost of education is going to be a huge concern. As some others have quoted in separate threads, you'll be looking at $30,000 per annum to school your kid in any of the international schools (and that's being conservative). Local schools can be hard to get into, and balloting amongst the locals for good schools is a common practice.

If your salary as stated (if I didn't read it wrongly) is around $6,500 to $7,000 per month, to be honest, you'll be very comfortable as long as you're OK with renting in an HDB apartment, and using public transport instead (the buses are reliable, the MRTs run on time, most of the time (i.e. when they're not being repaired, haha), and mercifully, there are no strikes here, unlike the Tube or the Metro).

Good luck, and let us know how you're getting on with your plans to come to Singapore!
Old Aug 12th 2015, 4:22 pm
Forum Regular

Mlee888 has a reputation beyond reputeMlee888 has a reputation beyond reputeMlee888 has a reputation beyond reputeMlee888 has a reputation beyond reputeMlee888 has a reputation beyond reputeMlee888 has a reputation beyond reputeMlee888 has a reputation beyond reputeMlee888 has a reputation beyond reputeMlee888 has a reputation beyond reputeMlee888 has a reputation beyond reputeMlee888 has a reputation beyond repute

What did you decide to do in the end?
Old Sep 3rd 2015, 7:54 pm
Just Joined

lukesteve123 is an unknown quantity at this point

Yes unfortunately as much as I love Singapore and now it feels like a second home to me.
I had to turn the position down and return to England. I thank everyone for the kind help, it was very much appreciated. I worked for Gordan Ramsay in Marina Bay Sands if anyone was wondering. Will return to Singapore hopefully in the near future. Thanks everyone once again.