Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Far East and Asia > Singapore
Reload this Page >

Haberdashery / shoe repairs

Haberdashery / shoe repairs

Old Sep 23rd 2013, 11:28 am
Just Joined

Woodygold is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Haberdashery / shoe repairs

Any haberdashery stores in Singapore?
We are keen to buy an overlocker and bring with us to Singapore, but wonder if it worth to do it. Maybe Singapore has better selection of machines, fabrics, threads and so on.
Any sewing alterations and hobbies centres?

Also, any shoes repair services in Singapore? Shall we fix/put rubber soles on shoes back home before moving to Singapore?
Old Sep 23rd 2013, 12:21 pm
BE Forum Addict

ex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Haberdashery / shoe repairs

loads of, to both questions.
Old Sep 25th 2013, 11:51 pm
not sure...

RedT has a reputation beyond reputeRedT has a reputation beyond reputeRedT has a reputation beyond reputeRedT has a reputation beyond reputeRedT has a reputation beyond reputeRedT has a reputation beyond reputeRedT has a reputation beyond reputeRedT has a reputation beyond reputeRedT has a reputation beyond reputeRedT has a reputation beyond reputeRedT has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ex reg
loads of, to both questions.
Seriously, why do you even bother?
Old Sep 26th 2013, 1:13 pm

bakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond repute

Think exReg answered the question correctly. What's your beef, RedT ?
Old Sep 26th 2013, 4:31 pm
Forum Regular

LanternsB has much to be proud ofLanternsB has much to be proud ofLanternsB has much to be proud ofLanternsB has much to be proud ofLanternsB has much to be proud ofLanternsB has much to be proud ofLanternsB has much to be proud ofLanternsB has much to be proud ofLanternsB has much to be proud ofLanternsB has much to be proud ofLanternsB has much to be proud of

Hey woody!
Cheap (est) shoe repair place is at city hall MRT.

I used to go to that old man many years ago. He's still there. Nothing fancy, just new soles, but cheap.

Lemme know if you are interested and I could write more info.
Old Sep 26th 2013, 10:51 pm
not sure...

RedT has a reputation beyond reputeRedT has a reputation beyond reputeRedT has a reputation beyond reputeRedT has a reputation beyond reputeRedT has a reputation beyond reputeRedT has a reputation beyond reputeRedT has a reputation beyond reputeRedT has a reputation beyond reputeRedT has a reputation beyond reputeRedT has a reputation beyond reputeRedT has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bakedbean
Think exReg answered the question correctly. What's your beef, RedT ?
Correctly? Yes. Helpfully? Not really...there seems to be a bit of a pattern that's all.
Old Oct 1st 2013, 10:44 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by LanternsB
Hey woody!
Cheap (est) shoe repair place is at city hall MRT.

I used to go to that old man many years ago. He's still there. Nothing fancy, just new soles, but cheap.

Lemme know if you are interested and I could write more info.

Hi LanternsB

Absolutely, let me know the name of the man and the place. Is he good?
Does he change tops on the heels as well?

Where we live at the moment (we are going to relocate to Singapore soon) a shoemaker does a great job, nothing fancy, but he is very skilled and accurate.
Old Oct 1st 2013, 8:03 pm
Forum Regular

LanternsB has much to be proud ofLanternsB has much to be proud ofLanternsB has much to be proud ofLanternsB has much to be proud ofLanternsB has much to be proud ofLanternsB has much to be proud ofLanternsB has much to be proud ofLanternsB has much to be proud ofLanternsB has much to be proud ofLanternsB has much to be proud ofLanternsB has much to be proud of

Hi Woody,

Good is a relative word !
It does the job for me. good enough for my ladies shoes (let's say I would be happy to let him do my pair of Ferragamo ?)

After several years, this man remains anonymous to me. If you see him, you know what I mean.
It is a small set up, he places a mat on the floor, spreads his tools, puts up a brolly on a hot day. Sometimes his wife sits on a stool next to him...

No rental !

And yes, he does top and bottom bits of heel.
Old Oct 1st 2013, 8:05 pm
Forum Regular

Direction: come out of city hall MRT, take the exit on the left that would take you to St. Andrews Cathedral. When you come up the escalator, he is on on the right.

look for the mat behind the ice cream man !
Old Oct 3rd 2013, 5:34 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by LanternsB
Direction: come out of city hall MRT, take the exit on the left that would take you to St. Andrews Cathedral. When you come up the escalator, he is on on the right.

look for the mat behind the ice cream man !
Many thanks, LanternsB!
I will make a note; good cobblers are like treasure.
Old Oct 3rd 2013, 6:27 pm
Forum Regular

If you want a really good cobbler, I know one in Funan IT mall. I used to go to him years ago, but I have not checked since.

He was so good that I could not find one to replace him when I was in London. I would think that with the astonishing inflation in Singapore in recent years, he would be very expensive now.
Old Oct 3rd 2013, 7:00 pm
Just Joined

I would not mind to know him as well, just in case.

But I mostly give shoes for putting rubber soles and new bottoms on heels - they get worn quickly. In UK I wanted once to give boots to make slimmer their tops, but gave up, as it was impossible to find a cobbler for this job. All said it was a hard thing to do. One place, however, said they could restructure tops, but their price was very high. So, I said 'No' to them.

So, thank you for another option, and I will be glad to know about second cobbler. But as you said, you would happily give your Ferragamo shoes to the first man, then he should be good too, shouldn't he?
Old Oct 4th 2013, 4:39 am
Forum Regular

The Funan guy can restructure tops (from my recollection, but I might be wrong!)

The brolly guy seems to be good enough for what you need. I do the same thing as you with most of my shoes.

Brolly guy gives no discount. So you could try him out with your 1st pair.

Funan guy does and I gave him my whole shoe collection.

I would have to do some digging to see if I still have his contact. He is an employee of the cobbler shop. So he may/may not be there still.
Old Oct 14th 2013, 3:47 pm
Forum Regular

Hi Woodygold,

I was up and about with my shoes today.

the brolly guy, I was told, is no longer there.

I went to the Funan guy, he's gone too but there is an older guy there whose services I used before at the same shop. Best One Solutions @ Level 1 of Funan Digital Mall.

Prices (hold your breathe...) SGD

Men's shoes
Top -$30.00
Heel - $25.00

Ladies
Top - $ 17.00
Heel (stiletto) -$ 9.50

His prices are fixed. You leave your shoes with him and collect them in 30 min.

I went to Chinatown instead. SGD 5 for the top bit. Exit C, Chinatown MRT. an old man under a brolly. Workmanship is of course not the same but for a pair of casual shoes, it is alright... You collect in 2 hours.

Hope this helps.
Old Oct 14th 2013, 3:49 pm
Forum Regular

By the way, at the Chinatown cobbler I went to, there are plenty of sewing alteration, fabric shops at Level 1 of People's Park.

Xx

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.