Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Far East and Asia > Singapore
Reload this Page >

Funny experience with the Singapore custom.

Funny experience with the Singapore custom.

Old Aug 5th 2012, 10:51 pm
Forum Regular

Harlow Lad has much to be proud ofHarlow Lad has much to be proud ofHarlow Lad has much to be proud ofHarlow Lad has much to be proud ofHarlow Lad has much to be proud ofHarlow Lad has much to be proud ofHarlow Lad has much to be proud ofHarlow Lad has much to be proud ofHarlow Lad has much to be proud ofHarlow Lad has much to be proud ofHarlow Lad has much to be proud of
Default Funny experience with the Singapore custom.

Went over to nasujaya, Johor for some house hunting and shopping over the weekend. Been doing this sort of run for about at least 10 times over the last couple of months.

This time when we reached the Singapore custom as usual with the checking malarkey. This officer took our tray of eggs and said its "prohibit" to bring this in to Singapore. I was god smack. End up in the interview room with the don (the supervisor I think). Well luckily they didn't issue a fine just put me in a hand written log book. And I have to sign an agreement it will be destroy. Eventually the don took me a long walk to the near by bin to dump the "prohibited item". He also shown me a list of thing that can't be bringing in to Singapore, well only two. Eggs and meat that's it.

Beware people!
Old Aug 6th 2012, 3:52 am

bakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Funny experience with the Singapore custom.

I think it's fairly normal across borders, eggs and meat products. I guess you've been lucky in the past. What's with Malaysian eggs anyhow? Are they superior?

Borders are inconsistent though. I got a right rollocking once on the Thai/Malaysian land border for travelling with a new passport and my MM2H visa was in my old passport. I presented both of them but, nope, got frogmarched into the office there where the guy used as many rubber stamps as he could to deface a whole page of my new passport, and a threat to get my a$$ down to KL to get the visa transferred within 2 weeks .

My friends who had been doing exactly the same thing through KLIA had no problems at all...did it for quite a few months, and couldn't understand why I got the hassle.

These things go on though. When I was living in Singapore, a British friend used to regularly bring into Singapore haggis in her suitcase. And a SQ captain (no less) who I used to know used to transport satay sticks in his suitcase to his relatives in the UK hehe. It happens.
Old Aug 9th 2012, 3:16 pm
BE Enthusiast

Bocat has a reputation beyond reputeBocat has a reputation beyond reputeBocat has a reputation beyond reputeBocat has a reputation beyond reputeBocat has a reputation beyond reputeBocat has a reputation beyond reputeBocat has a reputation beyond reputeBocat has a reputation beyond reputeBocat has a reputation beyond reputeBocat has a reputation beyond reputeBocat has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Funny experience with the Singapore custom.

Yep, as far as I know eggs, meat and dairy products aren't allowed to be brought over the border into Singapore. A simple - sorry sir you can't bring those in should suffice though.