Food

Old Oct 17th 2013, 7:09 pm
Just Joined

Stokkers is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Food

Hi

Just a shot in the dark, but many, many years ago, early60's, I was based in Singers whilst in the RN and there was a pleasure on the way back from Sg to the Naval Dockyard in Sembawang on a bus, to have a "Snack", from what I believe was called, a Ban Chow. It was a long roll, filled with egg and veg. Something like that, anyway.

Hope someone on this board can help.

Thanks.
Old Oct 18th 2013, 1:13 am
BE Forum Addict

ex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Food

I think you might be referring to popiah, which is vege, some egg, maybe some shrimp wrapped up in a soft thin pancake like wrap.

Or ngor hiang which is a sausage type peranakan thing.

Or chee chong fan, aka cheong fan which is a steamed dough like roll filled with sweet or savoury stuff.

All the three different foods are longish sausage shaped rolls which are cut into about 25mm lengths to ease eating.

Can't think what ban chow might refer to unless it is a banjo egg which if you were in the forces you must have eaten.

I worked in Sembawang and Bethlehem shipyards in the early 90s building jack up oil rigs.
I suspect you might know 'The Terror Club'.
Walk out of the shipyard gates turn left and it's a 10 minute walk down the road.
Great place for some beer and a swim.
In your day it might well have been the club for families of the forces.
Old Oct 18th 2013, 10:52 am
Just Joined

Stokkers is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Food

Hi Reg.

Thanks for your reply. I believe that your suggestion of banjo egg might be the one I am looking for. It sounds similar. I will try to find a recipe for it.

I remember the Terror Club. Had many a booze up in there and many a swim in the pool there. Also in Aggie Weston's, just outside the dockyard gates - if it's still there! Both places frequented by the RN and some families too.