Family Holiday

Old Nov 6th 2008, 12:39 pm
Just Joined

dougshepp1 is an unknown quantity at this point
Question Family Holiday

I am planning a family holiday to Singapore for 2 weeks in June 2009. Can anybody recommend accommodation suitable for a family. Preferably in Scotts road/Orchard Road location. I have three young kids(5,3,<1) so hotels in Singapore appear to be a problem as they dont seem to have family rooms, does anybody know any?

What about serviced apartments in that area? Are there any that can be recommended.

We will be spending a lot of the day at the Tanglin club so would prefer if possible to be walking distance.

Thanks for any help.
Old Nov 8th 2008, 5:35 am
Account Closed

katongkaren is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Family Holiday

I think the Pan Pacific Orchard Hotel (until recently the Negara Hotel) on Claymore Hill is quite near to the Tanglin Club though with 3 young children I don't know if you'd want to be walking too far in the very high humidity of Singapore. I never stayed at the Negara but used to eat there sometimes and it's quite a pleasant spot. I note that there are some good recent reviews on tripadvisor.

The Orchard Hotel on the edge of Orchard Road usually does some good accommodation deals and is, I think, a 4 star hotel. I have stayed there (though this was a few years ago) and thought it was good value for money.

Bear in mind that taxis are plentiful and relatively cheap (compared with uk - extremely cheaper) and can be flagged down on the street - so if you were a little way away from the Tanglin Club, it wouldn't be a major drain on your wallet and may be a little easier with 3 young children.
Old Nov 9th 2008, 3:26 am

Englishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond repute
Post Re: Family Holiday

My sister always goes through Singapore on her annual trip to Australia with her spouse and three kids (actually she's now got baby #4) as well as her in-laws.

They always stay at the Orchard Parade Hotel on Tanglin Road (on the corner of Orchard Road) as it has family rooms.

http://www.orchardparade.com.sg/inde...AE4227FD0BB132

Home Page: http://www.orchardparade.com.sg (see the map for the exact location).

It is walkable to the Tanglin Club but as the PP stated, it's a very short ride in a taxi (less than 5 mins) and probably best in the high humidity or if still jet-lagged.
Old Nov 9th 2008, 4:54 am
Auntie Fa

Kooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond repute

Hi there, bizarrely you might want to do a search of the Australia forum as this crops up a lot with people doing stopovers.

One piece of advice that always comes up is to ring the hotel rather than attempt to get a family room on the internet booking site.

Much as I love it I think 2 weeks on holiday in Singapore is a long time so, unless you are visiting family (hence Tanglin Club ref) you might want to look at taking a side trip, say to Bintan, Langkawi, Penang.
Old Nov 9th 2008, 5:52 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Seasider
Hi there, bizarrely you might want to do a search of the Australia forum as this crops up a lot with people doing stopovers.

One piece of advice that always comes up is to ring the hotel rather than attempt to get a family room on the internet booking site.

Much as I love it I think 2 weeks on holiday in Singapore is a long time so, unless you are visiting family (hence Tanglin Club ref) you might want to look at taking a side trip, say to Bintan, Langkawi, Penang.
But does Langkawi, Penang get the SW Monsoon in June? I only ask as we're just a stone's throw north of Langkawi and it was absolutely chucking it down in June here. Though, if you're not looking for a suntan, I guess it wouldn't be a problem.
Old Nov 9th 2008, 6:33 am
Auntie Fa

Kooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond repute

I don't know about you but, coming from Singapore, I think one tends to ignore monsoon patterns and the like. However you are right, the OP might want to consider them.
Old Nov 10th 2008, 12:17 pm
Just Joined

Much as I love it I think 2 weeks on holiday in Singapore is a long time so, unless you are visiting family (hence Tanglin Club ref) you might want to look at taking a side trip, say to Bintan, Langkawi, Penang.[/QUOTE]

Of the places named, where would you recommend is best for family and also food.
Old Nov 10th 2008, 9:41 pm
Auntie Fa

Well I'm salivating just thinking about Penang but that's local food - are you into queueing on a busy street, plate in hand, to be served char kway teow by a grumpy old lady and eaten at a plastic table up an alley? (Oh my, I really am craving it now.) I've stayed at the Eastern & Oriental in Georgetown, the Raffles of Penang - the rooms were lovely but I thought the public areas were a bit shabby, although this was pre-tsunami and it's probably had a lick of paint since then.

Bintan is the easy option - Indonesia, under an hour on a ferry from Singapore, with beaches for the little ones. I've stayed at the Angsana in a 2 bedroom suite, which was very nice and would be suitable for you.

I haven't been to Langkawi; maybe somebody else can comment on that but AFAIK it is very child-friendly.

You could even nip up to Thailand, but Karen is the weather expert for that part of the world so hopefully will advise on which side to go and not to go to in June.
Old Nov 11th 2008, 8:41 am
Account Closed

Quite honestly, and considering the 3 young children in tow, Bintan or one of the other islands (Batam ??) is so easy to get to. I have to confess I have not been to either but have heard very good reports.

Weatherwise, the SW Monsoon will be in full flow in June but in Singapore (and I presume Bintan, Batam) it tends to come in short bursts albeit heavy ones rather than going on for days on end - though you could always get unlucky.

Phuket gets the SW Monsoon only - June to September you can get 4 days of rain non-stop but you get as many dry days in those months too - just a matter of luck if you pick the right week.

From what I can make out, the Gulf of Thailand - Ko Samui, Hua Hin etc (the East side) only gets the NE Monsoon which runs November-ish to January-ish, so I guess in June that side of Thailand may be the more reliable weatherwise..... but I digress....
Old Nov 15th 2008, 7:01 am
Just Joined

Thank you for all your ideas. Hotels in singapore are too expensive for families as they all advise two rooms, will need to find an apartment.

It is an expensive trip, but the lure of Newton Circus is hard to resist!