Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Far East and Asia > Singapore
Reload this Page >

Emloyment in Singapore - Spent conviction

Emloyment in Singapore - Spent conviction

Old Jul 20th 2012, 6:10 am
Just Joined

guyrkp is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Emloyment in Singapore - Spent conviction

Hi all,

I am hoping that there is someone out there that can give me some advice. Here is my situation :

I am a British national, 32 years old.
I have 2 spent convictions from the UK. The last one being about 8 years ago.
Been offered a position working for a company in Singapore.
Already been granted an S Pass permit by the MOM, only pending a medical

If I accept the job then I am due to go next week. The thing is they are doing a background check on me while I am going to be there. Because I am used to the laws in the UK I just marked criminal record as no on the application form, which is correct for a spent conviction in the UK but is that the same in Singapore ? Will those spent convictions show up ?

I have only started worrying about this after I read about how strict the Singapore background checks are and in the employers conditions it regards any criminal records found as instant dismissal.

Really worried, does anyone know ? If anyone needs more details just ask.

Thanks
Old Sep 2nd 2012, 12:22 am
Just Joined

Optionist is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Emloyment in Singapore - Spent conviction

yes but you're criminal convictions are spent therefore your CRB check will come back with no criminal convictions. I would go to a soloicitor and find out for sure if there's any way they can find out with extra checks.
Old Mar 23rd 2013, 3:25 am
Just Joined

Lack is an unknown quantity at this point

A company regardless of where they are can only apply for a CRB or an enhanced CRB. An enhanced CRB will only be given if the role you are required to perform involves working With vulnerable people. An enhanced CRB will show up spent convictions, a standard CRB will not.

If the Singapore government want to do a check on you for immigration then they do not do a CRB check. The check they request is more thorough and will include spent convictions.

There is much discussion around privacy and data protection and what information can and cannot be shared. It does state in law that if the country you apply to has a ROA then the UK will provide details pertaining the act and therefore some spent convictions would not be provided, however, the ROA in UK is still far more lenient than that of Singapore's. So unless your spent convictions were very minor then they will still be showing up on a ICA request to the UK.
Old Mar 23rd 2013, 4:33 am

bakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Lack and welcome to the forum Good info posted.

The OP posed this question back in September 2012 so presumably it's all done and dusted now. Be nice to hear how he got on. Maybe he'll post back on here.
Old Mar 26th 2013, 11:56 am
Just Joined

Lack is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi bakedbean,

There is a problem with the original question which I feel should be answered for other members looking for similar answers. You mentioned you stated 'no on the application form, was this the EP application or the job application? The EP application actually states if you have ever been convicted in a court in any country which is a direct question and should not include any reference to any rehabilitation act in its answer. The ICA and other immigration centers have carefully worded this question to ensure compliance. If asked if you have a criminal record then you are entitled to say 'no under the rehabilitation of offenders act 1974 and the new LASPO amendment 2012 (UK), but a question that asks if you have ever been convicted in a court is not included in the act and should be answered actually. It has been known for EP to be given without full disclosure however, Singapore seems to be investigating more EPs more thoroughly and it would be urged that the truth be told in the first instance. Singapore is and always has been open to ex offenders in a limited capacity but it is advised not to lie.

Anyone else who would like information then by just reply to this thread.

Thanks