British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Singapore (https://britishexpats.com/forum/singapore-131/)
-   -   Election 9/11 (https://britishexpats.com/forum/singapore-131/election-9-11-a-864103/)

bakedbean Aug 26th 2015 11:22 am

Election 9/11

Rather an ominous date :sneaky: So....will PAP be voted out? LKY is now gone. Time for change, or same old?

ex reg Aug 26th 2015 12:21 pm

Re: Election 9/11

They'll be stupid to vote out the PAP.
Doesn't mean it won't happen though.

bakedbean Aug 26th 2015 2:03 pm

I don't have a feel for it other than seeing a few disgruntled chums on Facebook who seem to be anti PAP. It would certainly be strange without PAP in charge. I imagine the markets would take a dive.

Mlee888 Aug 26th 2015 3:32 pm

Can't see it happening. Last time they only lost a handful of seats and it was their worse performance.

Only a small minority actually dislike what the government are doing. You hear more of it on social media because the dislikes are more likely to voice their complaints than those who are for the PAP.

The funeral for LKY itself showed how much love there is for Singapore on the streets. Those Standing in the rain and those that went to Parliament House I think are most likely going to vote for PAP. That's my opinion only. :)

bakedbean Aug 27th 2015 8:48 am

You may well be correct.

Obviously my Facebook friends in Singapore do not add up to a significant proportion of the state. I noticed that one friend has a big respect for LKY but really does not like the son and clearly won't be voting PAP. I wonder how many of those are in Singapore.

Anyway we will know soon enough. Only two weeks away. At least Singapore gets on with it very quickly. A pity that doesn't happen in some other countries.

Mlee888 Aug 30th 2015 1:30 am

Well, for PAP to not be in power, the other parties I think need to win most of their seats and then form a coalition to rule. Most of the other main parties are not contesting the same seats against each other if I understand what's going on correctly.

For many locals, they only want a government that can rule and experience in running a country. This alone shows who they will be voting for, a great experience to see how it happens here.

bakedbean Aug 30th 2015 8:24 am

Originally Posted by Mlee888 (Post 11736089)
Well, for PAP to not be in power, the other parties I think need to win most of their seats and then form a coalition to rule.

So, in other words, there is no real opposition party as such. In which case, just might chip away a bit at the PAP majority.

Mlee888 Aug 30th 2015 9:15 am

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Singaporean_general_election,_2015

Select candidates introduced for election and you will see what I mean.

A total of 45 seats is needed for a majority, only PAP have contestants in all seats. The next biggest party is the main opposition Party being the Workers Party with 28 seats.

xizzles Aug 31st 2015 3:40 am

If it ain't broke, why fix it? I think that's the majority of the Singaporeans' mindset at the moment. To be honest, the government has kept the economy on an even keel, they've by and large tried to respond to the grouses raised in the past election (although it's arguable whether or not that's due to a groundswell of support for the opposition back in 2011 that shocked the ruling party into action - but that's a debate for another time) and Singaporeans only need to look at what's happening around the region, from China's plunging stock market, to Thailand's recent bombings, to Malaysia's corruption scandal/nose-diving ringgit/Bersih 4.0 unrest - and I reckon they'll keep voting the way they have for the past 50 years.

I'm not in a position to say whether that's right or wrong, or good or bad, I'm just calling it as I see it.

bakedbean Sep 3rd 2015 12:55 am

Well I dunno....not exactly a tiny crowd at the Workers Party Hougang rally last night...
https://instagram.com/p/7IJ85RqOak/

Mlee888 Sep 3rd 2015 2:45 am

PAP don't hold this seat so it's not surprising to see a lot for the turn out of the party that's currently looking after the residents interests.

I have spoken to some locals about the vote and most made it clear who they will be voting for. They didn't say who exactly but criticised some of the experience of the opposition.

bakedbean Sep 3rd 2015 5:41 am

Originally Posted by Mlee888 (Post 11739280)

I have spoken to some locals about the vote

I cannot help but noticing that your name includes Lee :sneaky:

Mlee888 Sep 3rd 2015 5:44 am

Along with other millions of people with the same surname. ;)

bakedbean Sep 3rd 2015 5:51 am

Yes I was just having a bit of fun and being sarcastic. Mind you, I hear that PM Lee is known to wander about the internet so....you never know eh.

Mlee888 Sep 3rd 2015 6:13 am

My father shared the same initials as the father of PM Lee too. :)