Dubai -> Singapore

Old May 31st 2013, 7:38 pm
BE Enthusiast

BurpusMe has a reputation beyond reputeBurpusMe has a reputation beyond reputeBurpusMe has a reputation beyond reputeBurpusMe has a reputation beyond reputeBurpusMe has a reputation beyond reputeBurpusMe has a reputation beyond reputeBurpusMe has a reputation beyond reputeBurpusMe has a reputation beyond reputeBurpusMe has a reputation beyond reputeBurpusMe has a reputation beyond reputeBurpusMe has a reputation beyond repute
Default Dubai -> Singapore

Hello,

I'm visiting Singapore next week to evaluate the possibility of relocation.

I'm wondering if anyone could give me some pointers how I could continue my lifestyle or similar in your city.

I live in Dubai Marina and would love something similar.
I like being walking distance to shopping, groceries, cafes, etc.
I like being in an area away from the downtown buzz, in a safe, secure environment.

Any tips?
Old Jun 3rd 2013, 11:27 am
Forum Regular

Froggybarnacle2000 has a reputation beyond reputeFroggybarnacle2000 has a reputation beyond reputeFroggybarnacle2000 has a reputation beyond reputeFroggybarnacle2000 has a reputation beyond reputeFroggybarnacle2000 has a reputation beyond reputeFroggybarnacle2000 has a reputation beyond reputeFroggybarnacle2000 has a reputation beyond reputeFroggybarnacle2000 has a reputation beyond reputeFroggybarnacle2000 has a reputation beyond reputeFroggybarnacle2000 has a reputation beyond reputeFroggybarnacle2000 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Dubai -> Singapore

Sentosa Cove sounds like your cup of tea.
Should be very similar to Dubai Marina, and it will have the safety, security, and the sea view you want. Just google or check out property websites. Good luck!
Old Jun 4th 2013, 8:09 am

bakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond repute

Hello222 has just been checking out Sentosa. You'll see a thread started by her a few threads down from this one. Maybe tag on to that one and get some of her thoughts?
Old Jun 5th 2013, 5:22 am
Banned

jason.mantle1 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Froggybarnacle2000
Sentosa Cove sounds like your cup of tea.
Should be very similar to Dubai Marina, and it will have the safety, security, and the sea view you want. Just google or check out property websites. Good luck!
I do agree. Sentosa should be suitable for you. And Singapore is not that big, it's fairly easy and quick to explore it any time of the day. I've lived here for 3 years and I'm enjoying it. It's actually one of my favorite cities to live in.

Good luck with the property hunt!
Old Jun 10th 2013, 7:16 am
BE Enthusiast

BurpusMe has a reputation beyond reputeBurpusMe has a reputation beyond reputeBurpusMe has a reputation beyond reputeBurpusMe has a reputation beyond reputeBurpusMe has a reputation beyond reputeBurpusMe has a reputation beyond reputeBurpusMe has a reputation beyond reputeBurpusMe has a reputation beyond reputeBurpusMe has a reputation beyond reputeBurpusMe has a reputation beyond reputeBurpusMe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jason.mantle1
I do agree. Sentosa should be suitable for you. And Singapore is not that big, it's fairly easy and quick to explore it any time of the day. I've lived here for 3 years and I'm enjoying it. It's actually one of my favorite cities to live in.

Good luck with the property hunt!
Thanks for the friendly tips!
We just took a long weekend trip to Singapore for work meetings, site seeing and home hunting. All went well. Pretty place, and well-organized.

I didn't get to Sentosa, but I'll be back in another couple weeks and will be sure to visit on that trip! Also want to look closer in Robertson Quey. It really was a lot to take in for just 3 days!!

Rental rates were dramatic, which is saying a lot coming from Dubai! However, there were some nice options in River Valley.

Here's a question - do you use the city busses? Are they okay? I didn't get a chance to try them, but the MRT was excellent! I'm drawn towards living close to an MRT station to make my life easier - but my estate agent kept telling met to forget it, and just take the bus. Is that viable? Advisable? There were some nice areas of the city not serviced by the MRT.
Old Jun 10th 2013, 8:32 am

Englishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BurpusMe

Here's a question - do you use the city busses? Are they okay? I didn't get a chance to try them, but the MRT was excellent! I'm drawn towards living close to an MRT station to make my life easier - but my estate agent kept telling met to forget it, and just take the bus. Is that viable? Advisable? There were some nice areas of the city not serviced by the MRT.
What were the estate agent's reasons 'to forget' taking the MRT? The only thing I can think of is that properties close to MRT stations are more expensive (think of the price of properties near the London tube stations compared to those not within walking distance) and perhaps the agent thinks your budget won't run to it?

OK the MRT train carriages are crowded, especially at peak times and even in off-peak times it can be difficult to get a seat....but at least they are air-conditioned as are many of the stations and you won't get as wet as standing at a bus-stop with a small shelter. Many of the bus stops in the central business and shopping areas share the stop with multiple numbers of bus routes...you can have 30-50 people all milling around waiting for their bus to arrive, which is no fun in the heat or rain.

The buses also tend to get very crowded at peak times and the journeys can be very slow indeed. Unfortunately despite the congestion area charge it hasn't made much of an impact about the cars on the road and traffic is often at near-gridlock levels. It is definitely much faster to get around on the MRT.

Beware of the estate agents....in my experience many of them are not out for your best interests; they just want to clinch a deal as quickly as possible so they can get their commission (they usually co-broke with the landlord's agent and split the commission). Remember that you will be locked into a 2 year lease so only move into something which is suitable *for you*.
Old Jun 10th 2013, 1:41 pm

bakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond repute

Are you back in Singapore, Englishmum? What do you make of the MRT these days? One of my Singaporean friends moans all the time on Facebook about the crowds and the breakdowns. Seems to have changed a bit since I left in 2007. Or maybe my friend is a bit of a moaner

River Valley is a very nice area.
Old Jun 11th 2013, 3:04 pm

Englishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: Dubai -> Singapore

Originally Posted by bakedbean
Are you back in Singapore, Englishmum? What do you make of the MRT these days? One of my Singaporean friends moans all the time on Facebook about the crowds and the breakdowns. Seems to have changed a bit since I left in 2007. Or maybe my friend is a bit of a moaner

River Valley is a very nice area.
No - my spouse found it too difficult to do his job from Singapore due to the time difference with having to take part in tele-conferences to colleagues in Switzerland, London, NYC and Minnesota. He transferred to another office in central Switzerland two years ago; until last year I was living 6 months of the year in New Jersey and obtained US citizenship last August, so I've joined my husband in Switzerland. He closed down the office (within the main office) in Singapore a few weeks ago.

I have to admit though that I can see where your friend is coming from re; crowds etc. We first lived in Singapore from Jan 1995 to July 2000. Eight years later after we moved back I could not believe how the country had changed - it's so, so crowded now in comparison. Although I had a car, sometimes if I was going to spend a few hours in the Orchard/CBD area it was more convenient to take public transport (I lived close to bus stops and a 10 min canalside walk to Dover MRT station - which is next to the Polytechnic and pretty much between the Holland Village/Ghim Moh area and Clementi.

No matter what time of day it was/is busy on the buses and MRT trains....actually alongside the canal in the vicinity of Rochester & Dover there were *huge* HDB complexes being built, as well as the new Circle Line rail system. The flats are probably occupied now and the new Rochester entertainment/shopping/hotel hub opened (had friends in the old B&W colonial bungalows there who sadly had to move out for redevelopment) so I can just imagine how it is likely to be even more crowded with pedestrians on foot, public transport and traffic issues

I understand that there has been a big influx of PR's from mainland China but I noticed more that there were many, many more Indians in Singapore (compared to when I first lived there) who become PR's but want to retain their Indian passports and the Sg govt. is now concerned about their sons integrating:

http://www.pmo.gov.sg/content/pmosit..._better.m.html (Hmmm, The 'old man' has spoken so I guess his ideas will be implemented soon lol!)

http://www.tremeritus.com/2012/12/30...tional-school/

I agree that the River Valley area is nice - we stayed briefly at the Fraser Suites on RV Road, would have considered living there but it wasn't convenient for Science Park 1 where my husband worked (he used to run to and from work but you can't run on the AYE lol!)
Old Jun 12th 2013, 6:21 am

Ah I see....thought for one moment you were back in SE Asia. Switzerland not a bad place to be, mind.

Interesting link to PMO. That was a good read.